That you, friend!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1876 on: March 16, 2017, 11:50:06 PM »
Anyone know what the Parker Hannefin plant in MHK does?

rdphff (rick daris parker hannefin fast facts)

1) I played on a parker hannefin mprd baseball team when I was around 8.
2) a friend of mine named matt managed the whole ph place for a few years. he was from ohio and had worked with them there and then moved to mhk to manage the ph here and then got moved back a couple of years ago. still works for them I think.

Do you know if they have any R&D functions there?

did you just see some random factory on a google earth fantasy tour of mhk and dream of getting a job there?

No I saw a job posting and had heard of them before, but they're huge so I wasn't sure what this place did.  I wouldn't mind relocating, but it's tough enough to find one good job let alone two.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 17, 2017, 01:28:14 AM »
when it rains it pours. good jobs woof like rabbits

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
Was just offered a job to work for my uncle in the Littleton area. I'd be responsible for sales at a steel building company. I am going to give him a call this week. Frito Lay interview tomorrow.

They have a big house in Centennial that'd I'd be able to stay at until I got on my own feet.

So this is a twist and good news.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »
Was just offered a job to work for my uncle in the Littleton area. I'd be responsible for sales at a steel building company. I am going to give him a call this week. Frito Lay interview tomorrow.

They have a big house in Centennial that'd I'd be able to stay at until I got on my own feet.

So this is a twist and good news.
How desperate are you? It's generally a bad idea to work for family. Double bad if you live with them.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
Not desperate at all. Just something to think about. A much better opportunity than driving a forklift moving pallets of chips around.

While I'd say it's generally a bad idea. I don't think that's the case here.

I was just excited about the ability to wear nice clothes to work everyday, live in Colorado, and have a job that would involve competition.

I'll be talking to him later this week to gain more information. I was a middle man tonight between him and my BIL. BIL's company wants to expand their steel building footprint and my uncle is in that business. At the end of the convo, he said I should work for him.

This was all over text.

The Big Train

« Reply #1881 on: March 20, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »
With Colorado law the way it is, would that be anything to consider?  I know smoking is different, but just something to consider.

The Big Train

« Reply #1882 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »
I mean I have looked at jobs in CO just because of the mountains and stuff(which I love).  It's also expensive as eff depending on where you live.  One of my best friends lives in a Denver suburb and it's always tempting to get back to the mountains.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:18 PM »
since when was it bad to work for or with family?
family owned and operated businesses are everywhere.  isn't that what a farm is?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

The Big Train

« Reply #1884 on: March 20, 2017, 10:38:14 PM »
rusty is too corporate to work for family anymore so i guess he sees it as bad news which it usually isnt

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
since when was it bad to work for or with family?
family owned and operated businesses are everywhere.  isn't that what a farm is?
Family farms are often more partnerships than boss/employee relationships, which is a subtle difference. And the family business relationship can work fine, but if it doesn't, it can easily ruin the personal/family side at the same time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
rusty is too corporate to work for family anymore so i guess he sees it as bad news which it usually isnt
I had a really bad family business experience. And it carried over to the personal side, as well.

The Big Train

« Reply #1887 on: March 20, 2017, 10:43:58 PM »
I had a really bad family business experience. And it carried over to the personal side, as well.

well thanks for making me look like a bad person dumbass with the exception  :frown:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
With Colorado law the way it is, would that be anything to consider?  I know smoking is different, but just something to consider.
I can't do the pot. Just not my jam.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 20, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
Yeah so it can work great but just be prepared for additional potential issues when things end that you won't have to deal with when you leave Frito-Lay

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
I mean I have looked at jobs in CO just because of the mountains and stuff(which I love).  It's also expensive as eff depending on where you live.  One of my best friends lives in a Denver suburb and it's always tempting to get back to the mountains.
Snowboarding. Mountains. Rapids. I was born in Co Springs. Spent a year in Aurora when my parents were separated. My aunt was a chemical engineer for Exxon Mobil but left to be a stay at home mom. They have also offered to pay for my school in the past. They are a very nice family and are very caring and a bit eccentric.

I'll talk to him this week and get the low down. Apparently the money is very good as well.

Either way I'm taking the Frito Lay job.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:36 PM »
Can always quit and move

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:06 PM »
Yeah so it can work great but just be prepared for additional potential issues when things end that you won't have to deal with when you leave Frito-Lay
I don't want to get into all of the specifics of my family dynamic, but I can assure you that won't be an issue.

You're also operating under the assumption that I won't kick ass. :)

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 21, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »
I would take the Colorado job.

I spent a few years in the Springs and then moved back to Kansas.  Miss it like crazy.  Reasons to go back include:

- Way more activities/things to do.
 - Wake up to amazing scenery every day.
 - Better weather (no humid ass sticky hot summers).

Throw in the better job and it would be a no-brainer for me.

Reasons to stay in Kansas and work in a warehouse:

- ???

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 21, 2017, 09:05:50 AM »
metal building salesman is a notch above corner lot used car salesman.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 21, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
They may be paying a lot but rent/housing is a lot different than KC so I would recommend checking cost of living and comparing some similar apartments online.  While it's nice of them to offer and have you stay with them,  living arrangements and job is a lot to add to a family relationship.  Still could be worth doing, but I would probably try to move out as soon as financially feasible.

If you need a fresh start, which it sounds like you've been looking for, could be a great opportunity.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Yes, cost of living will be higher.  But, you have to factor in all of the perks.  You pay extra for mountains/weather/more activities.  How much value do you place on those things?

I agree with ChiCat on the family living arrangement.  If they can hold the job open a little longer for you, I would recommend commencing penny pinching mode and save up as much as you possibly can.  Then you'll be well positioned to grab your own pad after getting your feet wet in the new gig.

Exciting stuff though.  I had a similar path to a fresh start when I moved to the Springs.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 21, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
Yeah. I looked at apartments in the area. They would be more than I'm paying now. My rent in Topeka is 760 a month for this one bedroom. Granted, it is one of the top 3 complexes in Topeka. I anticipate having to spend more in the 1k region in the Denver greater area. My lease is up in June here. I talked to the landlord and she said I could then go month to month. The interview with Frito went great today. They all but guaranteed me the job, but of course had to be diplomatic about it. I think cutting back and saving and tidying up some things in Topeka would be the best course of action. Perhaps do that over the summer and stay in contact with my uncle. Perhaps do some studying on sales as well.

Given that it was kind of a spur of the moment offer, I'm not sure that it was about holding a spot for me, more as seeing potential and they will make room for me as necessary.

I lived in Montana for a year and it was great to get off work and head to the mountains. Jump in Hardy creek and just get lost in nature.

They get passes to Aspen, Veil, and A-Basin every year. I have all I need for snowboarding aside from the board as I always rented. So that would be a major plus.

Moving in two months seems awfully sudden and I don't want to make a knee jerk reaction. I nixed the idea of KC in favor of spending a year working on myself and not trying to fix everything with a change of scenery. I've got some thinking to do.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 21, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »
I think, work/career aside, if this makes for a healthier and happier sdk I don't know how you can turn it down.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: March 21, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »
Anyone looking for a licensed Mechanical Engineer (HVAC background but would consider doing MEP pre-con for the construction side as well)?? I may be in the market for a change of scenery soon...