Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280058 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1775 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
Yeah.  I had an initial screener with hiring partner.  Got a call-back where I met for 30 minutes a piece with 6 people (4 partners, 2 associates), and I'm meeting with them again next week for what they said would be about 2 hours - so I'm assuming 4 more people.

Honestly I assumed that I'd hear one way or the other after the call back, but regardless, pretty excited about this.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 23, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
Yeah.  I had an initial screener with hiring partner.  Got a call-back where I met for 30 minutes a piece with 6 people (4 partners, 2 associates), and I'm meeting with them again next week for what they said would be about 2 hours - so I'm assuming 4 more people.

Honestly I assumed that I'd hear one way or the other after the call back, but regardless, pretty excited about this.

Hope you get it! I lucked into one of those biglaw jobs my 1L summer, and I'll probs just ride that sombitch into permanent--such that it is--employment.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 23, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
Though come to think of it, I only interviewed with two (2!) people to get that job.  :lol:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »
Ride that train.  Much easier to stay in that club than it is to get in after school.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 23, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
i interned with a federal judge from the 9th circuit which was great - bad news was traveling to sacramento on the regular and preparing for epa arguments.  BAD!  anywho, she was a decent lay but we had to break it off when her husband found out.  case closed on the internship and job afterwards

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 23, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »
That's tough clams, sorry to hear that. I guess it's true, monogamy is too cruel a rule.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: February 23, 2017, 11:39:09 PM »
Bonus at the new job is 4 times what is was at the old job  :love:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 02, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
Resume advice. Good free sites? Templates? Other advice. Will be retail, warehouse, nothing too skilled. I'll apply to jobs that I'm not qualified for as well in an attempt to get an interview where I always do well. I'll end up having to make a lateral most likely but always good to challenge oneself.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 02, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
i just searched jobs listings for jobs i was looking for and took the skills that they wanted and added them to my resume

you can find a million templates online, no one should ever create one from scratch

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
I just handed in Michigancat's resume to get my job.

But all joking aside, I definitely had a few ppl close to me help me out SdK. If you want, you can send me what you have, and I can try and help. I look at resume's all day long.

Even having someone you admire and asking to look at theirs helped me.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
If there are any apostrophes in your resume, don't trust Wacky.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 02, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
Hahaha @Mrs.Gooch. I'll be posting for a wide range of jobs from Topeka to KC. Preferably paying 17 dollars or more. If I have to go to KC for that I'll commute. I have 5 years of college education. 2 years at a Juco and 3 and Washburn. I'd love to just go back to school but not really the time for it. Worked a wide range of jobs but all entry level. If you consider being lead housekeeper for 3 years and running a siding crew management. I have that skill too. Hard working. Positive. And a leader. Etc.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 02, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
i just searched jobs listings for jobs i was looking for and took the skills that they wanted and added them to my resume

you can find a million templates online, no one should ever create one from scratch
I'd imagine we were looking for different types of jobs given our income gap. But I'll definitely take this advice. Thank you. And I'm sure you have a degree. This would all be a lot easier if I had one.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 02, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
I just handed in Michigancat's resume to get my job.

But all joking aside, I definitely had a few ppl close to me help me out SdK. If you want, you can send me what you have, and I can try and help. I look at resume's all day long.

Even having someone you admire and asking to look at theirs helped me.
Canary is going to help me. He has a BS and two Masters. I just like to cast a wide net for advice. When I get one finished I'll send it your way. I'll just look for typos. :)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:27 AM »
I posted my resume for review on a message board for people in my industry and the concensus was it's "all over the place" and that I don't sell myself. Probably fair criticism, but no one would offer advice on how to improve it so now I'm just like  :dunno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 02, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
My mom is my editor.  :D

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 02, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
I posted my resume for review on a message board for people in my industry and the concensus was it's "all over the place" and that I don't sell myself. Probably fair criticism, but no one would offer advice on how to improve it so now I'm just like  :dunno:

I would look at what specific items are important to the job you are applying for and expand on those. Take things you've done in the past that they won't really care about and take them off the resume. Of course, save an old copy of your current resume so you have something that is easy to work with if you ever apply for a job where those things might matter more.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 02, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
Just had the first skype interview of my life.

I can't tell if it went great or terrible.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 02, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
tru tv: i put my office chili cook off champion title on my resume. kiss the rings

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 02, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »
tru tv: i put my office chili cook off champion title on my resume. kiss the rings

there's a reason why they exiled you to halfway around the world

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 03, 2017, 12:34:13 AM »
Phone interview Tuesday ya'all

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 03, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
I'm hoping I hear from a few more as well. More applications this weekend. I'd like to have my pic.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 03, 2017, 03:49:11 AM »

there's a reason why they exiled you to halfway around the world

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 03, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »

michigancat gave me some good pointers

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 03, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
Just had the first skype interview of my life.

I can't tell if it went great or terrible.

I can't imagine a skype interview.

I interviewed on 2 phone interviews for the recent job offer I had.    First met in person with my buddy (VP) and an old college prof (Pres) informally, then had a phone interview with a VP of a large contractor that is a sister company to the hiring company and the Pres of hiring company and someone else from the ownership group, then did about 5 hours of online screening including a 90 minute psych profile, then a phone interview with a VP of the ownership group ($2B), the hiring company Pres, and a VP from yet another sister company.   

I couldn't imagine doing all that on video.   So awkward.