Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280536 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1625 on: November 17, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
@michigancat, we were having an ISO audit, and mgmt found out we weren't following our own standards/procedures, so they went and obsoleted everything that they knew we weren't following.  Because I guess it's better not to have a defined process than to know you're not following a defined process.  I found this out because as part of a contract requirement I was supposed to send info on some processes to a customer, and I got in the document and everything had big red X across the whole page and the words OBSOLETE.   :facepalm::lol::facepalm: :facepalm:
I worked at a VERY mumped up aircraft parts manufacturer and not even those idiots would have tried something this stupid.

I'd have to believe there are a lot of safety/federal regulations involved in aircraft. 

But yes this is pretty stupid, not discounting that. 

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 17, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »
@michigancat, we were having an ISO audit, and mgmt found out we weren't following our own standards/procedures, so they went and obsoleted everything that they knew we weren't following.  Because I guess it's better not to have a defined process than to know you're not following a defined process.  I found this out because as part of a contract requirement I was supposed to send info on some processes to a customer, and I got in the document and everything had big red X across the whole page and the words OBSOLETE.   :facepalm::lol::facepalm: :facepalm:
I worked at a VERY mumped up aircraft parts manufacturer and not even those idiots would have tried something this stupid.

I'd have to believe there are a lot of safety/federal regulations involved in aircraft. 

ISO is ISO bud. doesn't matter if you build widgets or jet engines.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 17, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »

Ya but I'm sure aircraft folks comply with stuff other than ISO.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 17, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »

Well you'd be very surprised then.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 17, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »

Isn't there like 100% traceability requirement?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 17, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »

Correct but people buy from people with minimal certifications if any. It's really quite scary when you see how the sausage (planes) are made. Also there are people like Mrs. Gooch doing very technical crap on them. She couldn't even figure out how to open the garage door when the electricity went out. :lol:

Edit - In all fairness Mrs's Gooch doesn't build them she breaks them or tells them when it will break.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 17, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »

Correct but people buy from people with minimal certifications if any. It's really quite scary when you see how the sausage (planes) are made. Also there are people like Mrs. Gooch doing very technical crap on them. She couldn't even figure out how to open the garage door when the electricity went out. :lol:

:dubious:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »

:dubious:
I made an edit.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 17, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »
 :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 17, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »
In my company's defense I bet a lot of people here could both break an airplane and operate a garage door without electricity. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »
Breaking it is the easy part. Knowing when it is and when it isn't going to break is the hard part.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 17, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »
crap, i could break a plane and i don't know anything about planes

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1637 on: November 17, 2016, 08:24:25 PM »
Breaking it is the easy part. Knowing when it is and when it isn't going to break is the hard part.
Cool job! Destructive engineering has always been something that I've found to be pretty neat focus.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »
Company Christmas party is at THE DOTTE SPOT BAR AND GRILL!!!  :excited:

http://www.thedottespotbarandgrill.com/

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 22, 2016, 10:58:20 AM »
81st and Parallel has got it going on.  Was Danny's too expensive or something?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
Company Christmas party is at THE DOTTE SPOT BAR AND GRILL!!!  :excited:

http://www.thedottespotbarandgrill.com/

They had me at complimentary pork rinds.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 22, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
*Spray tan not included with order of buffalo wings*
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:14 PM »
So I had a phone interview for a job in California today, and it went pretty well, but the question of how much time I would need to give notice and get moved was asked and I had not even thought about that. I know a few of you have made big moves like that for employment, how much time did you take? What complications did you hit?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »
i'd say it depends on a few things.  you don't want to leave your current employer in a bind, is there others who can pick up where you left off?
i guess what i'm saying is to avoid burning a bridge if possible but always look out for #1 first.  try to appease both sides if possible, if not, then make the new employer happy while trying to not make current employer too mad.

2 weeks is standard, a lot of employers accept 2 weeks and walk you out after 1 day.  if this was the screening interview or 1st interview, you've got a long way to go.  also tell them you can get moved quicker if they help financially, temp housing/points on house/moving expenses, etc.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
I gave 2 months last time I did that, but was pm'ing a large project that needed transition time.  If you don't have something like that going, how often do you get paid?  Give that much notice.  That way you don't find yourself out of a paycheck.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 05, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
two weeks for the notice and then however much time you want to move.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 05, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
the people in charge of my job told me (and everyone else) at the all-staff meeting that they'll be cutting the 401k match from 50% to 33% for next year.  motherfuckers.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 05, 2016, 10:00:56 PM »
Lmao

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 05, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »

I said 6-8 weeks total but that seems really long.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 06, 2016, 07:40:40 AM »

I said 6-8 weeks total but that seems really long.

Can you break your lease early?