Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #750 on: November 25, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »
!

also,  :ohno:.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 26, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »
Lets help ben ji out and teach him about "Offer letters" and how to get the best compensation package possible.

Backstory-

Interviewed with a company about 3 years ago but didn't get the job. I stayed in contact with the two people who interviewed me since we are in the same industry etc etc. About 3 months ago these 2 people left and started a new company (more of a new division inside an established company, around 10 employees total) and it just so happens that one of my friends is in the HR department.

Friend approaches me about working for them and sets up a meeting with the people I had previously interviewed with.

We had lunch about 2 weeks ago and things went great, talked compensation/job duties/expectations/etc etc. They were looking for someone to start in Jan/Feb and told me to contact them after thanksgiving with a time frame on when I could start and they would send me an offer letter. 

Current story-

I have never received an official "Offer letter" in my 2 post college jobs and obviously don't have it yet...but assuming they send me one in the next couple of weeks how should I approach it to get the best deal possible?

What are some specifics to ask for? What should I look out for?

All advice is wecome

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 26, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »

Lets help ben ji out and teach him about "Offer letters" and how to get the best compensation package possible.

Backstory-

Interviewed with a company about 3 years ago but didn't get the job. I stayed in contact with the two people who interviewed me since we are in the same industry etc etc. About 3 months ago these 2 people left and started a new company (more of a new division inside an established company, around 10 employees total) and it just so happens that one of my friends is in the HR department.

Friend approaches me about working for them and sets up a meeting with the people I had previously interviewed with.

We had lunch about 2 weeks ago and things went great, talked compensation/job duties/expectations/etc etc. They were looking for someone to start in Jan/Feb and told me to contact them after thanksgiving with a time frame on when I could start and they would send me an offer letter. 

Current story-

I have never received an official "Offer letter" in my 2 post college jobs and obviously don't have it yet...but assuming they send me one in the next couple of weeks how should I approach it to get the best deal possible?

What are some specifics to ask for? What should I look out for?

All advice is wecome

quick thoughts:

If they are making the first offer you should be in a good spot.

Research salaries at other companies in the area/industry to get a better idea of your worth. (I don't know if glassdoor is active in kc, but it was very helpful in my recent search). Try to get an ideal number in your head now so you're prepared and can move quickly.

Don't be afraid to negotiate even though it's people you know well.

Make sure you're clear on vacation policy and other benefits before you agree to anything.

Negotiate vacation if they can't meet your salary demands but you still want the job.

And obviously think about why you're making this move. How does it help you in the next year? In five years?

wait, it looks like you already have compensation settled, so you can ignore the others

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 26, 2015, 09:37:31 AM »
Do what mich suggested.  Just because you guys already discussed details doesn't mean those will be the details in the letter.

The Big Train

« Reply #754 on: November 26, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
Good luck!  :thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 26, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
Do what mich suggested.  Just because you guys already discussed details doesn't mean those will be the details in the letter.
Yeah definitely look for discrepancies between what you discussed and what is on the letter. Ask for clarification in writing wherever it is lacking. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 26, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
All good advice, thanks.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 26, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
If you already discussed everything and indicated your salary at that time, then as long as the letter mirrors what you discussed, just sign it. Don't need to be a dick if everything is kosher.
If there is any possibility of ownership, however small, ask for that.

Gonna win 'em all!

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 26, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Good point on ownership.  Especially for a new start up company, subsidiary, or division.   

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 26, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »
If you already discussed everything and indicated your salary at that time, then as long as the letter mirrors what you discussed, just sign it. Don't need to be a dick if everything is kosher.
If there is any possibility of ownership, however small, ask for that.

Gonna win 'em all!

Good point on the ownership. How should I approach it?

From what I know the company I would work at is one of 4 or 5 other companies (related but not competitors) underneath the privately held parent company.

See if they have company stock? Any key phrases or terms to ask about so I don't look like a total noob?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
without knowing anything about the industry or company, I wouldn't worry about ownership if the salary's right. And if you don't like the salary, don't be let them convince you to take a lower salary in exchange for shares in a company that you will likely never be able to cash in. (unless it is a public company offering stock options - at least those you should be able to cash in).

Also, ownership is basically additional compensation, so if it hasn't been mentioned yet (and it sounds like you agreed on compensation) it's not part of the offer and you would probably sound like a noob discussing it now.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 26, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
make sure to get minimum fishing time in writing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 26, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »
What do you think the company is worth?  Tell them that you want to help build this business into X (whatever that is), and then tell them what you see the business growing in to over the next 10 years (which should be somewhat consistent with what you have already discussed). Then tell them you would like a fraction of the business if you are still there and performing at a high level in 5 years. 1 or 2 % of $100,000,000.00 company is pretty rough ridin' awesome.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 26, 2015, 05:07:16 PM »
My light bulb buddy (worth a crap load) is getting ready to have an IPO with a new venture and it will be worth several billions within a few years. Crap like this happens. Maybe not all of the time, but it happens. Be ready to capitalize on the opportunities you can be a part of.

Another buddy if mine left a long term gig and went to work for a start up. Negotiated a small ownership in that company, which sold less than a year after he went to work for them. Boom. Summer of Mark. He took the family on beech vacations and to Italy all summer. Now he is starting his own consulting business and smiling so wide he could eat a banana sideways. .

Gonna win 'em all!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 26, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »
Are beech vacations expensive?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 26, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »

Are beech vacations expensive?
he took 5 months off and went on vacations with his family.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 01, 2015, 02:37:09 AM »
I think this job is going to take a big bite out of my BBS'n time

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 01, 2015, 06:02:37 AM »
Oh crap. Renege! Renege!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 01, 2015, 06:08:32 AM »
Oh crap. Renege! Renege!

Gonna win 'em all!
And dishonor my ancestors???

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 01, 2015, 06:17:08 AM »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 15, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »
What is the longest job interview you have been in? I have one Friday that is 5 hours. I hope they at least buy me lunch, or maybe it's some sort of endurance test.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 15, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »

What is the longest job interview you have been in? I have one Friday that is 5 hours. I hope they at least buy me lunch, or maybe it's some sort of endurance test.
show up in workout clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 15, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »

1.5 days

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »
When I got the job I am currently in (14 years) thr first step was a screening interview.  They told me to expect about 30 minutes. I arrived about twenty minutes early just to get myself settled and prepared.  They greeted me right away and asked if I wanted to start the screening since they were ready and I was there.  We started at about 10:15.  When we were still visiting about my philosophy and my leadership self- reflection at about 12:40, I knew they were interested in calling me back.  It was grueling. They followed that up a week later with the entire panel (11 interviewers) and an interview that lasted two hours.  They had two more finalists lined up for interviews.  I received a call several hours later with an offer.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 15, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »

1.5 days

Non-stop? Or are you talking about a 9-5 plus another 9-1pm the next day?