Author Topic: Things in Wichita that don't suck  (Read 191575 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Things in Wichita that don't suck
« Reply #550 on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
I've already left  :lol:

As an infrastructure nerd, I did really enjoy  :driving: on the 135 viaduct thing tho  :D

The enjoyment quickly fades in winter weather.
What, are you too good to drive 60 on an ice bridge in blinding wind and snow 50 feet above solid ground? 

I avoid Kellogg and the flyover at all costs.  It's not so much the roads, but the idiots who are driving on them.  Driving a semi through town is a real treat too.  My favorite is crotch rocket guy who likes to split lanes of traffic at 80 MPH.....
Hey screw you lane splitting is legal in Kansas*

* I think

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
I thought CA was the only state it's legal in
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 19, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
I've already left  :lol:

As an infrastructure nerd, I did really enjoy  :driving: on the 135 viaduct thing tho  :D

The enjoyment quickly fades in winter weather.
What, are you too good to drive 60 on an ice bridge in blinding wind and snow 50 feet above solid ground? 

I avoid Kellogg and the flyover at all costs.  It's not so much the roads, but the idiots who are driving on them.  Driving a semi through town is a real treat too.  My favorite is crotch rocket guy who likes to split lanes of traffic at 80 MPH.....
Hey screw you lane splitting is legal in Kansas*

* I think

No it is not. Your license should be revoked.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »
Was in town looking for apartments the past 3 days. Ate at Heroes in Old Town and had a really good burger. That was the only non-chain I ate at while there and it was great. I think I had the sweet pepper bacon burger. I would definitely recommend.

What is your budget?

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 19, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
Was in town looking for apartments the past 3 days. Ate at Heroes in Old Town and had a really good burger. That was the only non-chain I ate at while there and it was great. I think I had the sweet pepper bacon burger. I would definitely recommend.

What is your budget?
I'm a K-State grad  :kstategrad:
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 19, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

What is your budget?

Ate at Heroes in Old Town and had a really good burger. That was the only non-chain I ate at while there and it was great.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »

Wow, this could be the most difficult Kansas Mentors project yet.
You don't like Heroes, Trim?

Luke, going forward, you don't like Heroes.
:horrorsurprise: :frown:

Is Heroes one of the non Trim friendly places in Old Town?
I can attest, that though I don't like Heroes in general, that burger he mentioned is pretty rough ridin' good.

It's the Kite's of Old Town.

:lol:
@mikec2w

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 19, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
Luke, there is an apartment building in the 1300 block of Franklin Street that is about the coolest place I've ever seen. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.699359,-97.353202,3a,75y,189.45h,79.91t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOdmAyaQZevJEcidWwbOstw!2e0!6m1!1e1
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
Luke, there is an apartment building in the 1300 block of Franklin Street that is about the coolest place I've ever seen. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.699359,-97.353202,3a,75y,189.45h,79.91t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOdmAyaQZevJEcidWwbOstw!2e0!6m1!1e1
Since we weren't able to go look at apartments after Spring Break, we just decided to go with an apartment complex for the first year. All of the houses/duplexes for rent wouldn't hold the place for us until June 1st. It will be a lot easier to find one of those when we live in Wichita.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:09:22 AM by Lucas Scoopsalot »
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
Since we weren't able to go look at apartments after Spring Break, we just decided to go with an apartment complex for the first year. All of the houses/duplexes for rent wouldn't hold the place for us until June 1st. It will be a lot easier to find one of those when we live in Wichita.

Give hints as to the apartment complex and see who can guess it.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »

It's on the east side, close to rock road, but not on rock road.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »

More descriptive character clues, but I'll start with Villas of Waterford.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »
Sundance?

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »

holy crap, I shouldn't have given directional hints   :cheers:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »

Great.  Now, can you afford to eat whatever deposit you gave them and have gE put you somewhere better?

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »

Great.  Now, can you afford to eat whatever deposit you gave them and have gE put you somewhere better?
Haven't given them a deposit yet so go for it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »

What are your predetermined parameters?  It's important to have those, because you don't want to end up with the oscar Weber of apartments.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2012-03-28-2072477963_x.htm

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »

What are your predetermined parameters?  It's important to have those, because you don't want to end up with the oscar Weber of apartments.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2012-03-28-2072477963_x.htm
$1000 dollars is the cutoff, at least for the first year. We want at least two bedrooms with an open kitchen to the living room. We looked at about 10 different places and the Villas was the best in terms of being new, nice, and a good location in reference to where I'll be working.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
a good location in reference to where I'll be working.

Oh, you're committed to San Marcos.  They're all adequate there.  The Villas actually played a unique role in a KC KATPAK story I'll tell one day.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 19, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

You should definitely live in Old Town or downtown. 

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 19, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »

You should definitely live in Old Town or downtown.
What places in downtown/Old Town would you recommend that don't suck? My fiance just wants to feel safe and the downtown area has relatively high crime rates. What areas should I stay away from etc.?

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 19, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
What places in downtown/Old Town would you recommend that don't suck? My fiance just wants to feel safe and the downtown area has relatively high crime rates. What areas should I stay away from etc.?

http://www.perryreid.com/innesstation/wichita-ks-apartments.asp
http://www.corner365.com/
http://www.360wichita.com/Apartments/Loft/HarvesterLofts.html
http://www.250douglasplace.com/

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 19, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
Hey that's near my house!  I jog by that place a couple times every week.... I kinda thought it was a semi-retirement home, is it rentable by average Lukes?

Theres not a ton of good places for rent downtown unfortunately.  Innis Station can be manageable if you can score a spot in the private parking garage.  Eaton Place is pretty good, but kinda dumpy in some places.  Theres some converted lofts on 430 S Commerce that I friend of mine used to live in that as I recall, she liked pretty well.

Just live somewhere and save up to buy a house somewhere, the rental market in Wichita is way overpriced and houses are cheap.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 19, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
I'm not 100% sure luke and his gal are ready for the big city