Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356880 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2100 on: July 12, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
the best deals for the gov. rate are always in your large cities. another kind of shady thing that may work is to find a ridiculous expensive hotel that hosts conferences. find a conference going on when you want to go. go to the place running the conference website and they will have booking instructions for booking rooms at the conference rate. sometimes you can get ridiculous deals and most of the time you just need to know the number and what to say or they will have a special booking page. once in awhile they will only have it bookable as part of the conference package probably to avoid this very thing. we stayed in a suite at the Cosmo in Vegas that was going for about $600 a night when we were there and paid about $150. we had an actual conference going on but it got me thinking and researching this. I'm going to try it the next opportunity I get.

I know that most Kimpton Hotels give similar discounts. The Monaco in Denver, for example, is around $150 at the gov't rate.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 12, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
I wonder how difficult it is to get an IATA number and Travel Agent discounts everywhere

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 12, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
I wonder how difficult it is to get an IATA number and Travel Agent discounts everywhere

I bet the difficulty exactly matches whatever the yearly dues are at IATA.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 12, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »

He's good.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 12, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
I can confirm that expected high occupancy rates are a factor. Also, I'm at a Kimpton and it's pretty nice. Gov rate is like 170. I'm in an executive two queen room, because you take whatever type of as much as you can get.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 12, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »

I was hoping so, but research indicates you must be affiliated with a Travel Agency that has gone through some sort of certification.  Damn, would've been the ultimate scam

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
so goEMAW Travel, LLC huh?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 12, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

Only if you want half price rooms and free crap everywhere you go

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 12, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »

Only if you want half price rooms and free crap everywhere you go

tough sell.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 12, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »

I was hoping so, but research indicates you must be affiliated with a Travel Agency that has gone through some sort of certification.  Damn, would've been the ultimate scam

chicat- research how much all of this would cost and then pm it to the intern who will put a powerpoint together for all of us to discuss at the next mod meeting.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 12, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
i book using discount codes all the time.  never been asked for verification.  choice and wyndham, wyndham is easier.

haven't tried govt., may try that if i can do it online wo a number.

every major chain is going to have a box you can check to get the gov't per diem rate (if available). some times it is an amazing good deal, other times not. i stayed at the intercon in boston at the gov't rate and it was like 1/3 what the rooms where going for without it. also might have been the nicest hotel i've ever stayed at. chicat can correct me if i'm wrong but i doubt any place would deny you the rate unless they are at/close to capacity or unless you just run into an incredibly anal front desk employee.

A reasonably managed hotel is going to have the rate "turned off" during busy times anyway.  If they are selling it, it is worthwhile for them to have it booked unless they forgot to turn it off.  Most front desk people don't get paid enough for the confrontation and would just as soon avoid it so they aren't going to ask often.

chicat.  i stay at the same hotel every time i go to LA (2-3x per year).  it's what would be considered a boutique hotel, not a chain.  privately owned.  anyway, we've had a couple issues and last time they bumped us to their best suite and it was great.  just charged us regular room rate, not the upcharge for the suite.  then when we got home, i wrote a lengthy write up on how great the hotel was on tripadvisor and then emailed the GM and thanked him and linked him to the review.

think he will hook me up again?  the review has gotten a lot of hits.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 12, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
i book using discount codes all the time.  never been asked for verification.  choice and wyndham, wyndham is easier.

every major chain is going to have a box you can check to get the gov't per diem rate (if available). some times it is an amazing good deal, other times not. i stayed at the intercon in boston at the gov't rate and it was like 1/3 what the rooms where going for without it. also might have been the nicest hotel i've ever stayed at. chicat can correct me if i'm wrong but i doubt any place would deny you the rate unless they are at/close to capacity or unless you just run into an incredibly anal front desk employee.

A reasonably managed hotel is going to have the rate "turned off" during busy times anyway.  If they are selling it, it is worthwhile for them to have it booked unless they forgot to turn it off.  Most front desk people don't get paid enough for the confrontation and would just as soon avoid it so they aren't going to ask often.

chicat.  i stay at the same hotel every time i go to LA (2-3x per year).  it's what would be considered a boutique hotel, not a chain.  privately owned.  anyway, we've had a couple issues and last time they bumped us to their best suite and it was great.  just charged us regular room rate, not the upcharge for the suite.  then when we got home, i wrote a lengthy write up on how great the hotel was on tripadvisor and then emailed the GM and thanked him and linked him to the review.

I would take care of you when you came back, but it will all depend on the suite availability, etc.  Find out the Front Office Manager's name and drop it in the next review (could do Yelp).  They will see the arrival list daily, the GM may not, as well as be the ones more likely to add notes to your profile that you're a stud.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 12, 2013, 01:48:50 PM »

I would take care of you when you came back, but it will all depend on the suite availability, etc.  Find out the Front Office Manager's name and drop it in the next review (could do Yelp).  They will see the arrival list daily, the GM may not, as well as be the ones more likely to add notes to your profile that you're a stud.
would meeting the GM and Front Office Manager the next time he is there help or hinder Clams attempts at achieving vip status?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 12, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
I wouldn't seek them out as they may be very busy, but if he were to run into them and say hello, it wouldn't hurt.  If it is believable that you recommend and actually get other people to go there, mentioning that wouldn't hurt either.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2115 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
Yeah, and the A350 (new airbus competitor to the 787) is getting stud level pub right now as well. Boeing is about to get a healthy taste of airbus' ass if they don't ditch the lithium batteries.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 12, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »
If a dude asked me for a gov't ID, I'd be like, "Uh, I'm on my period."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 13, 2013, 09:07:38 PM »
Chicago in late september with Mrs. for our anniversary. Hotel recommendos? Thinking of doing Hyatt place/River North for 15k points a night.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
Chicago in late september with Mrs. for our anniversary. Hotel recommendos? Thinking of doing Hyatt place/River North for 15k points a night.

park hyatt

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 14, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »
Get a family member in a hotel job....it changed my travel life.  Marriott or Starwood.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 14, 2013, 11:58:10 PM »
The plane i was riding had an engine fail. Had never had that happen before. The girl behind me was freaking out, crying, repeating, "i can't do this" over and over again. Really didn't seem like it was that big of a deal to the pilots.  :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 15, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »
that sounds pretty exciting, but not fun.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2122 on: July 15, 2013, 06:54:22 AM »
The plane i was riding had an engine fail. Had never had that happen before. The girl behind me was freaking out, crying, repeating, "i can't do this" over and over again. Really didn't seem like it was that big of a deal to the pilots.  :dunno:

It really comes down to how many engines you have. Sd dad used to radio ahead to townie airports we were flying to and tell them to clear the runway because we were coming in one one engine and then land our single engine Beechcraft.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 15, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »
This thread is so pud compared to Skinny Benny's
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #2124 on: July 15, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
This thread is so pud compared to Skinny Benny's

I stopped reading that one pretty really because skinny benny. Recap?