Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356834 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2075 on: July 11, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
Can confirm :wink:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2076 on: July 11, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
Can confirm :wink:

I've even booked two at once with  NO NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2077 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »
If you're in DC in the summer and feel like rolling the dice, request the gov per diem rate when booking your hotel (this has to be done directly with the hotel, no hotels.com tomfoolery). They may say you need to show gov id (which you're supposed to do) but this is my 3rd hotel so far and I haven't shown anything but my drivers license, while getting rates 150-250 below list. No one's asked me for anything. Still get full points/rewards tho.

have done this ten times. only been asked once.

what happened when they asked? :ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2078 on: July 12, 2013, 06:02:34 AM »
I book gov. rate a lot because mrs. Dave technically works for the gov. We've never been asked to show proof.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2079 on: July 12, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »
We were hassled a bit once in Ohio (of all places) but I guess it's just so ubiquitous in DC that nobody checks. I have my travel orders and dip passport ready to go but nobody gives a crap.

Side note: JFK has a dip line at customs. Oddly, Dulles does not. :frown:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 12, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »
I can't wait until I travel internationally enough to make Global Entry worthwile. Would feel so elite.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 12, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »
I can't wait until I travel internationally enough to make Global Entry worthwile. Would feel so elite.

It's hilarious flying into a clusterfuck airport like Cairo and just walking past everyone and not even having your bags checked because you have a dip passport and a fixer. It's like 15-20 minutes from landing to cab.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 12, 2013, 07:44:45 AM »

It's hilarious flying into a clusterfuck airport like Cairo and just walking past everyone and not even having your bags checked because you have a dip passport and a fixer. It's like 15-20 minutes from landing to cab.

do you get to use that for personal travel as well? what is the job that requires the least experience/knowledge that would get me one of those? would also have to be something I could do on the side.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:12 AM »

do you get to use that for personal travel as well? what is the job that requires the least experience/knowledge that would get me one of those? would also have to be something I could do on the side.

No. I can only use the dip coming and going to the country where I'm stationed. But you can always buy your own fixers in Cairo. In fact, I would highly recommend it. Before I leave (officially), I plan to get some personal contact info on a few of the better ones.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 12, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »
ya man, i can't tell you guys how great it is to have a dip passport and a few really good fixers in cairo.  unbelievable how it's just really fantastic, you guys. 

i was there one time- i'm not even kidding either, this fixer sucked.  i stood in line & was so pissed.  uber pissed.  anyways, you get the drift.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: July 12, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
Moms and Pops BR got theirs about 5 months ago.  Seems pretty awesome

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 12, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »

Our company pays for it.  But all of us neocons won't do it because of all the fingerprinting and eye scanning and ball touching.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
If you're in DC in the summer and feel like rolling the dice, request the gov per diem rate when booking your hotel (this has to be done directly with the hotel, no hotels.com tomfoolery). They may say you need to show gov id (which you're supposed to do) but this is my 3rd hotel so far and I haven't shown anything but my drivers license, while getting rates 150-250 below list. No one's asked me for anything. Still get full points/rewards tho.

would saying something like "actually, it's my wife that works for the government" work if challenged?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 12, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »

would saying something like "actually, it's my wife that works for the government" work if challenged?

no, you'd then get booked at the rack rate

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 12, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
you open your wallet to retrieve your gov't id and then looked befuddled/confused and say something like "oh crap i must have left my card at work. what do we do now?"  :dunno:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
I'd say, "It's in my car BRB." Then, I'd go to another hotel.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 12, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

You'd have to burn down the hotel

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 12, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
i book using discount codes all the time.  never been asked for verification.  choice and wyndham, wyndham is easier.

haven't tried govt., may try that if i can do it online wo a number.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 12, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
i book using discount codes all the time.  never been asked for verification.  choice and wyndham, wyndham is easier.

every major chain is going to have a box you can check to get the gov't per diem rate (if available). some times it is an amazing good deal, other times not. i stayed at the intercon in boston at the gov't rate and it was like 1/3 what the rooms where going for without it. also might have been the nicest hotel i've ever stayed at. chicat can correct me if i'm wrong but i doubt any place would deny you the rate unless they are at/close to capacity or unless you just run into an incredibly anal front desk employee.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 12, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »

every major chain is going to have a box you can check to get the gov't per diem rate (if available). some times it is an amazing good deal, other times not. i stayed at the intercon in boston at the gov't rate and it was like 1/3 what the rooms where going for without it. also might have been the nicest hotel i've ever stayed at. chicat can correct me if i'm wrong but i doubt any place would deny you the rate unless they are at/close to capacity or unless you just run into an incredibly anal front desk employee.

A reasonably managed hotel is going to have the rate "turned off" during busy times anyway.  If they are selling it, it is worthwhile for them to have it booked unless they forgot to turn it off.  Most front desk people don't get paid enough for the confrontation and would just as soon avoid it so they aren't going to ask often.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 12, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »

A reasonably managed hotel is going to have the rate "turned off" during busy times anyway.  If they are selling it, it is worthwhile for them to have it booked unless they forgot to turn it off.  Most front desk people don't get paid enough for the confrontation and would just as soon avoid it so they aren't going to ask often.

yeah. i imagine most not asking on purpose just because of the possible awkwardness of "uh. uh. i don't have it". well then what now, you know?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 12, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »
i just tried it at the hotels i normally stay at.  more expensive than what i currently pay.  oh well.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 12, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
the best deals for the gov. rate are always in your large cities. another kind of shady thing that may work is to find a ridiculous expensive hotel that hosts conferences. find a conference going on when you want to go. go to the place running the conference website and they will have booking instructions for booking rooms at the conference rate. sometimes you can get ridiculous deals and most of the time you just need to know the number and what to say or they will have a special booking page. once in awhile they will only have it bookable as part of the conference package probably to avoid this very thing. we stayed in a suite at the Cosmo in Vegas that was going for about $600 a night when we were there and paid about $150. we had an actual conference going on but it got me thinking and researching this. I'm going to try it the next opportunity I get.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
just using the vegas example above I would start here:

http://www.vegasmeansbusiness.com/planning-tools/convention-calendar/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
then pick a hotel and date that fits. like that financial aid one at the baller Aria. go to their website. find this.

http://www.nasfaa.org/conference/travel/hotel/

$149 a night. Not bad. would be better if they offered suites or something but this is just the first example I tried.