Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334722 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #1225 on: January 20, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
eurocat where in and around london should I go? And best way to travel around? should be there for about 7 days.

pro-tip: I also asked him a lot. just stick with me bro.
will do, flights are booked  :excited:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:40 AM »
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 21, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
eurocat where in and around london should I go? And best way to travel around? should be there for about 7 days.

pro-tip: I also asked him a lot. just stick with me bro.
will do, flights are booked  :excited:
Most important thing to do is to drink beer at min 1 pub a day.

Sites to see by tube - Wimbeldon, pretty cool grounds and the town is pretty cool, a pretty far walk from either of the stations the tube lets you off on though. Wembley stadium, they do a tour of the stadium that isn't too bad, probably the second nicest stadium other than the Jerrydome in the world(they sellout the NFL game faster than the champions cup)

If you're there for 7 days you ought to take a day trip out to a different city at least one day(google them all to pick which would fit your style).  Bath, Brighton, Windsor, and Dover are all pretty cool.  Bath is pretty packed with tourists but for good reason.  Going to the bell tower at the church is worth it, you can oversee the roman baths.  Brighton has the pier and a pretty wild old castle/summer residence that is made to look asian.  The white cliffs of Dover are pretty cool and it isnt a crowded place, can see France, great little British town with a couple good pubs, not touristy.  Windsor castle is better than expected, great castle to check out and the Queen lives there when not at Buckingham.   
Source: was there for 2 weeks in June. Parents go 2-3 times a year so we only hit the best spots on our trip.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
Michigancat, I am planning my trip to San Fran/Napa.  What do I need to do in San Fran thats super elite at the end of May?  Where is a cool bar hangout I can buy you a beer at?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
Michigancat, I am planning my trip to San Fran/Napa.  What do I need to do in San Fran thats super elite at the end of May?  Where is a cool bar hangout I can buy you a beer at?

Man, that is a long time away. I have no idea what's going on then. There are cool bars all over the place. Do you know where you're staying? What kind of things do you like to do?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: January 21, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
I know I'm going to be in Napa on a Sat/Sun to eat at French Laundry.  In San Fran, I will be eating at Incanto one night.  I like to eat/drink/music.  Will take recommendos on areas to stay in as well.  Touristy may happen for a day or so, but goal would be to walk/easy public transit from places to eat/drink/music.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
I know I'm going to be in Napa on a Sat/Sun to eat at French Laundry.  In San Fran, I will be eating at Incanto one night.  I like to eat/drink/music.  Will take recommendos on areas to stay in as well.  Touristy may happen for a day or so, but goal would be to walk/easy public transit from places to eat/drink/music.

do the chain/points matter? Most hotels are close to transit and places to eat drink. Union Square is really pretty good area to stay even though it's touristy. There are a lot of chain restaurants and stores, but if you pull out yelp you'll find cool places to eat/drink on side streets and alleys close by. Easy walk to Chinatown, easy bart ride to the Mission, Cable Car to the wharf. There's some cool places at Nob Hill, too, but it's not quite as easy to get everywhere via transit. (It's doable, but bus is pretty much required). Over by the Embarcadero there's some cool looking boutique hotels, but the neighborhood gets real quiet when no one's at work.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
Thanks.  Probably do Union Square.  Want to go by China town for a stretch.  My top thing when traveling is usually to drink and not have to worry about driving home.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
what wineries are you going to?  do you plan on going up to sonoma, st helena?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »

I'm open to recommendations in any of those places.  My bro and his wife are doing the trip for their 5th anniversary/his 30th birthday and celebrating at the French Laundry.  Only things I have solidly on the books are that, china town, Incanto, and probably Morimoto's.  I think he is setting up a limo winery tour.  This was going to be a quick trip but the way my vacation schedule is looking, I might as well stretch it to a week.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 22, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »

I'm open to recommendations in any of those places.  My bro and his wife are doing the trip for their 5th anniversary/his 30th birthday and celebrating at the French Laundry.  Only things I have solidly on the books are that, china town, Incanto, and probably Morimoto's.  I think he is setting up a limo winery tour.  This was going to be a quick trip but the way my vacation schedule is looking, I might as well stretch it to a week.

If you are staying a week do a couple nights in Napa (or Yountville). Rent bikes in Yountville and go up the Silverado Trail and visit all the wineries on your way. When you get tired or it gets late you just call them and they drive to wherever you ended up and get you. they will also pack lunches for you and drop them at whatever winery you think you will be at around that time.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: January 22, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »

i would recommend visiting the cain winery in st helena.  it's off the beaten path but a  pretty unique place to visit and they make boss wine.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
I've been wanting to go here (distillery):

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: January 24, 2013, 07:39:53 AM »
AA adding regional jets to the non-AE fleet. Could see them flying one out of MHK once NBAF makes MHK huge and awesome. I'm sure KC/Omaha will see them.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/american-airlines-signs-new-agreement-to-begin-large-regional-jet-flying-2013-01-24

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
AA adding regional jets to the non-AE fleet. Could see them flying one out of MHK once NBAF makes MHK huge and awesome. I'm sure KC/Omaha will see them.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/american-airlines-signs-new-agreement-to-begin-large-regional-jet-flying-2013-01-24

would be annoying.  the gf's dad can put us on standby for AA flights since he worked there for like 20 years...smaller jets would mean less empty seats out of MCI.  super 80s need to go though...sat in row 32 on an AA super 80 to the fiesta bowl (between the engines).  worst flying experience of all time.
emaw

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 24, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

more reason for you legacy fanboys to switch to SW for all things domestic.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1241 on: January 24, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
I fly SW to Vegas. There isn't a single benefit to a SW 737 over any carrier's 175. They are a great plane.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
some one give me tips for student flights to Heathrow over spring break.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1243 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »

If you would have posted this in the cc thread 9 months ago you'd currently be booked in a RT 1st class ticket at no cost or inconvenience to yourself.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 24, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »

If you would have posted this in the cc thread 9 months ago you'd currently be booked in a RT 1st class ticket at no cost or inconvenience to yourself.
well i didn't do that at all

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1245 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
You should next time!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 24, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
yeah you probably should next time dlew

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 24, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
i'll be sure to! 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
This concludes the "Give Dlew12 tips for flights to Heathrow over Spring Break" portion of the Travel Thread.

Thank you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1249 on: January 24, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
AS far as this year spring break I'd suggest, like, donate blood or get a job or something...maybe steal