Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1393865 times)

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #16475 on: May 22, 2024, 08:18:30 AM »
I'm going to the Indy 500 in 2 weeks. Any protips from cats who have been or places to eat in Indy?

I went to the Indy 500 once in the early 90s. They had a parade of celebrities before the race. Fabio was in the parade and David Letterman was the head celebrity.

I sat next to a gentleman who was a big fan of Emerson Fittipaldi. Every time Emerson Fittapaldi drove past us (Like 200 laps or something) this guy would yell "Emuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!". The cars were quite loud though so I am pretty sure Emerson Fittapaldi never heard him.

Seeing cars zip past you at those speeds was pretty cool the first lap or 2.  After that it was just a couple hours of more of the same thing.

Hope this helps!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16476 on: May 22, 2024, 08:38:51 AM »
I'm going to the Indy 500 in 2 weeks. Any protips from cats who have been or places to eat in Indy?

I went to the Indy 500 once in the early 90s. They had a parade of celebrities before the race. Fabio was in the parade and David Letterman was the head celebrity.

I sat next to a gentleman who was a big fan of Emerson Fittipaldi. Every time Emerson Fittapaldi drove past us (Like 200 laps or something) this guy would yell "Emuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!". The cars were quite loud though so I am pretty sure Emerson Fittapaldi never heard him.

Seeing cars zip past you at those speeds was pretty cool the first lap or 2.  After that it was just a couple hours of more of the same thing.

Hope this helps!

Ha, I went to a NASCAR race a long time ago. This exact thing made me LOL the most. People would stand, wave and yell when their favorite driver came by the whole race. It was so weird to me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16477 on: May 22, 2024, 08:59:38 AM »
has anyone been to an F1 race? my daughter got super into it and now I am too and now I want to go to one. It almost looks like Europe is the cheapest way to do it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16478 on: May 22, 2024, 09:03:58 AM »
I went to the Indy 500 once in the early 90s.

just incredible to imagine. the entire zoomer vintage clothing aesthetic on display in real time. i hope you got some photos and/or gear.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16479 on: May 22, 2024, 09:20:29 AM »
has anyone been to an F1 race? my daughter got super into it and now I am too and now I want to go to one. It almost looks like Europe is the cheapest way to do it.
I haven’t been but thinking about going to the one in Austin in October.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16480 on: May 22, 2024, 09:26:18 AM »
If you aren't in some elite F1 party I'm sure it's like every other racing event. Sit there and watch cars go by having no real idea what is happening, probably even worse on a road course.

I tried one Nascar and indycsr event when KS opened, decided it was not for me. Seemed incredible waste of time.

I watched the F1 Vegas one and was only interested when I could see a Vegas monument

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16481 on: May 22, 2024, 10:19:23 AM »
If you aren't in some elite F1 party I'm sure it's like every other racing event. Sit there and watch cars go by having no real idea what is happening, probably even worse on a road course.

I tried one Nascar and indycsr event when KS opened, decided it was not for me. Seemed incredible waste of time.

I watched the F1 Vegas one and was only interested when I could see a Vegas monument

"has anyone been to an F1 race, maybe in Europe"

"based on my experience at a nascar race at kansas speedway, it would suck"

lol love ya phil

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16482 on: May 22, 2024, 03:18:14 PM »
honestly I'd prefer being around a giant group of KS Nascar fans to what I imagine the Euro F1 fan archetype to be. maybe I'm being a bigot towards slimy, smelly euros here though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16483 on: May 22, 2024, 03:25:15 PM »
honestly I'd prefer being around a giant group of KS Nascar fans to what I imagine the Euro F1 fan archetype to be. maybe I'm being a bigot towards slimy, smelly euros here though.

Are you afraid their avant garde fashion will make you feel inferior?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16484 on: May 22, 2024, 03:37:39 PM »

no, I grew up around nascar fans so their clothing is not too big a deal to me

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16485 on: May 22, 2024, 04:04:42 PM »
Honestly I'd bet hardcore Kansas NASCAR fans and hardcore Euro F1 fans are very similar but overall agree I'd prefer the Kansas interactions

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16486 on: May 22, 2024, 04:10:37 PM »

I lived in Austin, and every fall, these rich critters would descend upon the city, making normal routines obsolete. I'ma pull a daxtag and say #Eurotrash. But it's very expensive, so they're wealthy Eurotrash. I have experienced them first-hand.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: May 22, 2024, 05:17:02 PM »

lol love ya phil

A car race is a car race. The F1 allure is the glitz right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: May 22, 2024, 05:25:01 PM »

I lived in Austin, and every fall, these rich critters would descend upon the city, making normal routines obsolete. I'ma pull a daxtag and say #Eurotrash. But it's very expensive, so they're wealthy Eurotrash. I have experienced them first-hand.

The Eurotrash that flies in to Austin or Miami is very different from the Eurotrash that camps in a forest at the Belgian Grand Prix or the idiot tifosi in Italy

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: May 22, 2024, 05:25:45 PM »

lol love ya phil

No

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: May 22, 2024, 05:29:14 PM »
I saw the indy cars at the legends speedway once, I was bored 2 laps in as well.

The nhra races in Topeka were more casual friendly I think, and kept me entertained for the whole event. Maybe a trip to Topeka is in the cards for the michigancat household?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: May 22, 2024, 05:30:04 PM »
If I go to the F1 race I should fly from SA to Austin just so everyone knows how important I am to the event.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: May 22, 2024, 05:37:02 PM »

lol love ya phil

No

Not to go off track here but what is the difference in F1 vs Nascar or indycar?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: May 22, 2024, 05:41:23 PM »
If I go to the F1 race I should fly from SA to Austin just so everyone knows how important I am to the event.

Dude, it's like an hour and a half drive. And you'll have a car.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: May 22, 2024, 05:50:31 PM »

How will I fit in with the wealthy EuroTrash crowd if they find out I drove an hour and a half instead of just flying there?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: May 22, 2024, 05:51:36 PM »
Sounds like a good opportunity to be driven
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: May 22, 2024, 05:55:18 PM »

How will I fit in with the wealthy EuroTrash crowd if they find out I drove an hour and a half instead of just flying there?

If you do intend to go, you'll need to secure your hotel room (or AirBNB) now, if they're still available. Unless you're staying at a friend's place. If hotel, I recommend the Fremont.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: May 22, 2024, 05:55:53 PM »

lol love ya phil

No

Not to go off track here but what is the difference in F1 vs Nascar or indycar?

Cars and tracks and rules and storylines and global presence. No ovals in F1 is probably the biggest along with races all over the world and also the cars are faster and more advanced than the others.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: May 22, 2024, 05:57:18 PM »
I saw the indy cars at the legends speedway once, I was bored 2 laps in as well.

The nhra races in Topeka were more casual friendly I think, and kept me entertained for the whole event. Maybe a trip to Topeka is in the cards for the michigancat household?
I looked into NASCAR at Watkins Glen but it isn't until September

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16499 on: May 22, 2024, 06:05:43 PM »
I can't think of any type of race that enjoy watching.  That's weird, never thought of it that way before but its true.