Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353276 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #16250 on: February 27, 2024, 07:53:08 AM »
and if you mean the actual return flight to JFK on delta, it was oversold and they offered all 4 of us $600/ticket to come back tomorrow. I was like, well, I can go to Newark and save a trip to pick up the car and get a little money. They were like "well we're oversold by 3". And one of my daughters volunteered to go with me to Newark and they booked us to Newark via MSP. There was a flight to MSP boarding at 8:00am (it was ~7:30) and we thought that was our flight so we hustled down but were denied boarding. Turns out our boarding pass was for the 3:10pm MSP flight. So we chill and somehow the lady helping us got us on the early flights and came sprinting down to us and we got on the 8am flight and got home at a reasonable hour.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16251 on: February 27, 2024, 09:26:43 AM »
Why anyone would use a travel agent is beyond me. Another layer of complication to my travel, just what I need.

AND, book your air directly through the airline and not through Expedia or whatever.  If you book through another service, you can't deal directly with the airline if you need to make changes.

From my years in the travel industry, both of these points are absolutely correct.  Systems are in place these days to make sure that the Travel Agent doesn't offer you any additional value.  It's just another layer of complication when crap goes wrong.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16252 on: February 27, 2024, 09:53:17 AM »
I can't believe stupid fitz wasn't involved in any of this.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16253 on: February 27, 2024, 09:54:05 AM »
stupid fitz is the only gE'r who should use a travel agent

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16254 on: February 27, 2024, 10:05:56 AM »
In my defense, if I would have caught the flight I would have saved ~$3k on a direct flight vs. other airlines. The charter wasn't bookable without a travel agent.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16255 on: February 27, 2024, 10:09:31 AM »
One time me and another random guy in a LGA cab line realized we were going basically the same place and hopped in a Gypsy cab (is that a slur? Sorry if so) and when we were almost to the place we were going to get dropped off he just bailed out leaving me in the vehicle. The “cab driver” was mad but only asked me to pay half of the agreed total which was nice of him.

Anyway, that’s only bookable by finding a shady guy with an Escalade parked across the street from the cab line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16256 on: February 27, 2024, 10:32:41 AM »
That reminds me, kk, if you’re needing a cab from pv airport, there’s a short path to a regular street across from the airport where you can get a cheaper quicker cab than the tourist lineup at the airport.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16257 on: February 27, 2024, 11:34:01 AM »
Friends of ours got completely mumped by travel agent last week in Mexico. Showed up and they didn’t even have hotel rooms they had pre-paid for. Had to find another hotel paid out of pocket and have now filed criminal and civil complaints. Got on the local news though!

Why anyone would use a travel agent is beyond me. Another layer of complication to my travel, just what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only used a travel agent for cruises as they typically can get better rooms at same price but yeah no other time.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16258 on: February 27, 2024, 11:35:41 AM »
Guys, i'm right here you know...... :cry:

also, if the Chase portal ever worked properly (for me at least) many of my travel woes would go away. I still hate the planning process though, but even I would prob never use a travel agent unless it was someone I knew personally or friend of a friend type sitch. Like, I would pay SD pretty much whatever if he would convert/transfer my points and book all my stuff, just so I didn't have to deal with it. I hate it that much. I would never pay a random person to book a prop plane to a random resort in Mexico. Can you imagine how that would work out for me?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16259 on: February 27, 2024, 12:28:00 PM »
The only time I've ever used an agent was at work, which was required. I booked my own once and submitted receipts. I received a mild tongue lashing in return.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16260 on: February 27, 2024, 12:49:53 PM »
Got my own recent fun ass story with travel (that honestly should end up working out for the better).

So last weekend was my normal every 4 weeks long weekend home back in KC. Flight out early ass yesterday morning that gets me back to the Great White North around 2:30 pm. Any rate Sunday evening rolls around and they send out a delay notice on the flight from MSP to Saskatoon that it's now 1:55 pm. Great sign (weather was crappy here yesterday). So I'm chilling the MSP Delta longue and as noon approaches, new delay, it's now 3:42 pm. Ugh, great, even more later.

I'm nervous now though for two reasons, one, the flight I'm on is only operated M-W-F, and if they end up cancelling then I'm probably not able to get a nice easy flight up here until well into the afternoon the next day, and it would be like 2 flights at least vs 1. So I talk with the Delta reps in the lounge, and they're like "Yeah since that Canada flight is WestJet not much we can do but they are around the corner to talk to them" which I do, and they are more or less like "Yah, weather is bad, but if they keep pushing it back a little a time they think they can make it out". OK, fine.

Second reason I'm nervous is because my car has no heat in it (ELON!, and it crapped the bed like 2 weeks ago, and Wednesday when I headed out it was like 35) and the day was going to get progressively colder with today super cold, and I'm not exactly jonesing to drive 2 hours back to site in -10F weather. As an aside, if you ask, why not get it fixed? Well it can only happen in Saskatoon (confirmed by the car itself/online forums reading up on the problem, plus often times getting a part like the heater could have a several week lead time with no definite ability to get it scheduled until it's in so it's a crap shoot anyways), driving around town in Moose Jaw ain't the worse w/o heat, and we're also so effing busy rn that breaking away for a day to take care of it (in addition to driving 2 hours in the cold again), and we're like (and still) right at the cusp of turning the plant on for the first time, so taking any additional days beyond your normal days off is pretty frowned upon. So I'm in just gut it out mode, spring afterall isn't that far off.

So, I wait, around 3 they delay is to 5:10, at 4:30 they delay it to 6:10. It does finally come. I book a hotel in toon town cause I had been up since 3:45 in the morning, and now not getting in til nearly 9, and after customs and whatnot it'll be 10pm.

So I wake up this morning, it's -20F out, awesome, and plan the route out on the car and it wants to go to the supercharger first (even though it has enough range 250 km to go 102 km). Fine, not worth risking it. Well it takes FOREVER to warm the battery enough to accept a charge. I go to get some hand and foot warmers in prep of being in the cold for a long time. I decide to look up when the Tesla shop opens up, 10 am. Ok, it's 8:30, I might as well wait. Well it takes about said 90 minutes to get the car charged enough, I am sufficiently cold but bundled when I drive in, explained the situation, and they do have the part on hand, and can just take of it right then. So definitely glad all the delays worked out in my favor to just knock it out and not have to deal with it anymore, even if it has been a fairly long wait yesterday and today. Sometimes things work out. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16261 on: February 27, 2024, 01:49:21 PM »
Wait....didn't realize you were the "Canadian Friend" referenced in so many posts.
@mikec2w

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16262 on: February 27, 2024, 01:56:14 PM »
Do any other airlines have free live TV while you're flying or just Delta?

American has free TV and movies on every flight with wifi.  You have to stream on your phone or ipad but it's free.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16263 on: February 27, 2024, 02:03:40 PM »
Travel agent counterpoint - when I got covid in Mexico I e-mailed the agent and they handled everything for me while also being half the price of booking myself.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16264 on: March 03, 2024, 03:22:39 PM »

in Omaha, Nebraska for the stevie nicks concert tonight.  pretty impressed with how clean the old  town and capitol districts are.  much cleaner and newer than kcmo.  i don’t see much homeless either.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16265 on: March 03, 2024, 03:25:23 PM »
I've never been to omaHa, but based on this review, I will seriously consider it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16266 on: March 03, 2024, 03:41:00 PM »

in Omaha, Nebraska for the stevie nicks concert tonight.  pretty impressed with how clean the old  town and capitol districts are.  much cleaner and newer than kcmo.  i don’t see much homeless either.

Is blue sushi in the cards?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16267 on: March 03, 2024, 07:07:32 PM »

Is blue sushi in the cards?
drove by it!

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16268 on: March 04, 2024, 08:29:47 AM »
I've never been to omaHa, but based on this review, I will seriously consider it.

Travelled there for work a ton back in the day. I always said if I moved anywhere else in the Midwest, that is where I'd go. Its a great spot. Went last year for a weekend with the fam just to get out of KC for a couple days.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16269 on: March 04, 2024, 10:19:30 AM »
it was a nice place. I don’t recommend the downtown marriott though the rest of the experience was positive

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16270 on: March 04, 2024, 11:24:10 AM »
it was a nice place. I don’t recommend the downtown marriott though the rest of the experience was positive

I used to stay there quite a bit and had an OK experience. I like that it has a J Gilberts in the lobby too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16271 on: March 04, 2024, 05:08:10 PM »

I used to stay there quite a bit and had an OK experience. I like that it has a J Gilberts in the lobby too.

as soon as I walked into my room, I knew I should have gone back to the lobby and asked for a different one but I didn’t.  we ate at j gils.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16272 on: March 05, 2024, 09:14:46 AM »
guys (steve dave) I want to go from NYC to Paris August 1-11 (for the olympics!). would prefer delta but can do whatever and do not want to pay money for it. haven't done a points bonus in a long ass time because I've been able to just use my UR points until I drained them from my cancun fiasco. what are the best offers out there folks.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16273 on: March 05, 2024, 09:52:38 AM »
i think going to paris for the olympics and wanting it to be free is a great idea and i have no idea why more people haven’t thought of it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16274 on: March 05, 2024, 10:26:20 AM »
Delta JFK-CDG lowest price is 71k skymiles (7/31-8/14)
Otherwise 88k (8/1-8/11)