Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353173 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #16225 on: February 20, 2024, 02:06:28 PM »
Going to PV this summer, but staying in a house on the beach with a chef. I’m not sure if we’ll leave the house. Wondering if there’s any must dos with girls that are 9 & 7.
I am very open to people suggesting accommodations, pm with details if you don’t mind!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16226 on: February 20, 2024, 02:41:21 PM »
Travel?  Who can afford it??

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16227 on: February 20, 2024, 03:15:35 PM »
Booking a trip to Puerto Vallarta and found a really good early booking deal at the Hilton all-inclusive.

Anyone been recently to PV and have recommendos?

Scrap that, bring sergio and have him take care of ever-y-thing.

I stayed here: https://www.hotelyasminpv.com/
Website says it is closed indefinitely.

Sergio confirmed, says the owner is now just using it as her own vacation home. He recommends hotel tropicana not too far away. Looks a lot more resort-y, still absurdly cheap.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #16228 on: February 20, 2024, 07:15:23 PM »
can’t imagine there’ll be much going, league seasons all mostly end in May and Euros tournament (all the countries playing each other, mini World Cup just only Europe) happening in Germany June/July and everyone will be going crazy for that

Yeah stupid fitz. If you're in Lisbon or Porto when Portugal is playing in Euro 2024 you can go to one of their watch parties, in some ways it could be better than going to a match.
Being in-country and watching a futball country watch their beloved team would be really fun I bet. It would be intense, I’d imagine!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16229 on: February 20, 2024, 07:52:00 PM »
Going to PV this summer, but staying in a house on the beach with a chef. I’m not sure if we’ll leave the house. Wondering if there’s any must dos with girls that are 9 & 7.
I am very open to people suggesting accommodations, pm with details if you don’t mind!

We’re going with a large group. 7 bedrooms. You have to rent for the whole week.

This is where we are staying.

https://casamacumba.com/

https://www.vrbo.com/228628ha

We stayed in a 7 bedroom house with a pool on the beach in New Smyrna Beach in 2019. My mom wanted to do that again. After Covid the rental prices of beach houses on the Atlantic & gulf coasts skyrocketed. The house we stayed at in Florida doubled in price. This house in PV is 40% cheaper than anything similar we could find from Gulf Shores to Atlantic Florida up through North Carolina.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:06:03 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #16230 on: February 21, 2024, 07:19:11 AM »
can’t imagine there’ll be much going, league seasons all mostly end in May and Euros tournament (all the countries playing each other, mini World Cup just only Europe) happening in Germany June/July and everyone will be going crazy for that

Yeah stupid fitz. If you're in Lisbon or Porto when Portugal is playing in Euro 2024 you can go to one of their watch parties, in some ways it could be better than going to a match.
Being in-country and watching a futball country watch their beloved team would be really fun I bet. It would be intense, I’d imagine!
i was in downtown madrid staying across from the bernabeu when real madrid beat barca for the kings cup.  huge celebration during which sergio ramos mistakenly dropped the cup off of the double decker bus he was parading in, only to have the bus then run over the cup

https://youtu.be/NXxSuzRpTps?si=17V0LiiDa8JfGKYm

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16231 on: February 21, 2024, 07:59:07 AM »
What an elite life experience, clams.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: February 21, 2024, 07:59:56 AM »

i was in downtown madrid staying across from the bernabeu when real madrid beat barca for the kings cup.  huge celebration during which sergio ramos mistakenly dropped the cup off of the double decker bus he was parading in, only to have the bus then run over the cup

https://youtu.be/NXxSuzRpTps?si=17V0LiiDa8JfGKYm

Now we see why clark holds the Lombardi the entire parade route

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16233 on: February 21, 2024, 08:58:35 AM »
What an elite life experience, clams.
it was really neat.  I speak no Spanish and the spaniards were taken aback by a giant white guy running around trying to high five them.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16234 on: February 23, 2024, 01:19:58 PM »
Price being fairly equal, on a 10ish hour flight how would you rate delta one vs united Polaris vs jet blue mint?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16235 on: February 26, 2024, 11:21:55 AM »
Do any other airlines have free live TV while you're flying or just Delta?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16236 on: February 26, 2024, 11:22:50 AM »
United does and Southwest used to but they didn't on the flight I was just on.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16237 on: February 26, 2024, 02:36:58 PM »
Price being fairly equal, on a 10ish hour flight how would you rate delta one vs united Polaris vs jet blue mint?

probably depends most on when the plane was last updated. Sometimes you can figure it out based on the plane type, but safest bet in that case is probably Jetblue. They might also try extra hard since it's so new but also Delta and United have been catering to that type of customer for years and do a better job. So who knows.

(note I have only flown Delta One, this is just a hunch)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16238 on: February 26, 2024, 02:48:15 PM »

Southwest has it on all planes unless something is just broke with the internet on that specific plane.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: February 26, 2024, 04:29:00 PM »
also I have a humiliating travel story. basically I flew on a brokedick Sunwing(?) charter from Newark to Cancun because it was by far the cheapest direct flight and we were trying to coordinate multiple people and a travel agent set it up. It was all actually pretty seamless and nice. It was weird because there was no signage at Newark because Sunwing does not fly out of Newark normally. We were given instructions to go to a place to check in, it was the wrong place, and the correct place had zero signage but we saw people leaving with Sunwing boarding passes so decided it was the right line. Boarding and takeoff was late for no apparent reason other than there were two Sunwing flights side by side and one of them was writing down seat numbers off boarding passes to let people on the plane. Otherwise was uneventful.

However coming back from Cancun we got to the airport about 3 hours early for a 5:20 flight, chilled at the shitty Priority Pass lounge for a bit, then went looking for our gate when it didn't show up on the boards when it should have. Now at Cancun they don't assign gates until an hour before takeoff and they do not have overhead announcements for some reason. Our boarding passes said go to A7, so we went that direction at around 4:30, then we see on the departure boards that our flight leaves from a B gate at 6:20. So we head to B to chill for a bit, keeping an eye on the monitors. At some point (about 5:30) we notice our gate is B17, so we head over there. The guy at the gate is like "uh, that flight is closed, it left". Meanwhile right behind him the screen shows our flight at a 6:20 departure. He's like "I don't know what to tell you". I guess he calls his supervisor who tells us to go back to the ticket employee where the Sunwing and travel agent folks are. go to the Sunwing desk, they're like "call the airline, we are contractors and can't do anything". Call the airline, they're closed until Monday. Find the travel agent guys, they say call the airline. It was madness, Sunwing had no customer service presence in Cancun or on the phone where they had like 10 flights on a major leisure travel weekend.

Anyway I spent a night at a Cancun hotel and way too much money on Delta flights to NYC the next day.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16240 on: February 26, 2024, 04:36:56 PM »
Headed to Cancun this week and now suddenly I'm happy to be flying Southwest.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16241 on: February 26, 2024, 04:37:52 PM »
unreal.

i flew a charter nostop MCI to Cancun via two separate low cost Mexican airlines (Viva Aerobus and Volaris) and had a similar experience EXCEPT FOR THE STRANDED IN CANCUN PART

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16242 on: February 26, 2024, 04:59:38 PM »
yeah and I booked the next day on Delta and got on an oversold flight, and somehow got asked to volunteer even though I basically paid the price of 4 first class tickets? Anyway it worked out because my car was at Newark and our flight was to JFK and I had them rebook me and one daughter to Newark with a connection but I got $600/ticket in visa gift cards back. We tried to board the flight but our boarding pass was for that afternoon so we started to chill. But then the lady that originally helped us was SPRINTING our way to get us to the gate because she got us on the early flight we had denied boarding. We were the last on the plane and it was seamless except for an annoying fat guy sitting next to me. Clearly she was an employee and really helpful even though it was a hassle to connect but it all worked out in the end other than the obscene amount of money and Chase rewards points I spent.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 05:13:28 PM by michigancat »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: February 26, 2024, 08:33:23 PM »
That sounds stressful. Sorry man.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16244 on: February 26, 2024, 08:46:09 PM »
it wasn’t really clear to me what happened with your return flight

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16245 on: February 27, 2024, 06:46:39 AM »
Friends of ours got completely mumped by travel agent last week in Mexico. Showed up and they didn’t even have hotel rooms they had pre-paid for. Had to find another hotel paid out of pocket and have now filed criminal and civil complaints. Got on the local news though!

Why anyone would use a travel agent is beyond me. Another layer of complication to my travel, just what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16246 on: February 27, 2024, 07:37:03 AM »
AND, book your air directly through the airline and not through Expedia or whatever.  If you book through another service, you can't deal directly with the airline if you need to make changes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16247 on: February 27, 2024, 07:37:42 AM »
Friends of ours got completely mumped by travel agent last week in Mexico. Showed up and they didn’t even have hotel rooms they had pre-paid for. Had to find another hotel paid out of pocket and have now filed criminal and civil complaints. Got on the local news though!

Why anyone would use a travel agent is beyond me. Another layer of complication to my travel, just what I need.

I started because I had three families from multiple locations and a rough budget but no one could narrow down options or make decisions so I went to one and was like "what can you do" and ended up getting a really good deal on flights. OBVIOUSLY IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16248 on: February 27, 2024, 07:41:40 AM »
Classic hayseed trying to make it in the big city story. Smh

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16249 on: February 27, 2024, 07:47:08 AM »
it wasn’t really clear to me what happened with your return flight

An important part is Cancun waits until an hour before the flight to assign a gate and they don't make overhead announcements.

We show up to the airport at 2:00 for a 5:20 flight
Chill at lounge until around 4:30, wonder why our flight isn't showing up on the departure boards when flights later than our 5:20 flight are showing up (flights are displayed by time not destination)
We head to our original gate on our boarding pass, A7 (A and B are like a 10-15 minute walk apart)
We see the flight is listed on the departure board for a 6:20 departure, on time, at a B gate but unassigned. That was an hour later than our boarding pass but this had been weird the whole time and times had changed more than once after booking so we just assumed the departure board was correct
Head to B gates
At around 5:30 we notice we have a gate assigned on the departure board so we head to the gate.
We get to the gate and the flight is closed, because it left at 5:20. At the gate, our flight was listed as a 6:20 departure even thought it was gone.

I checked and I got an email assigning the correct gate at 5pm (but didn't get a notification because it wasn't in my primary inbox), which would have been very tight but there was no other way to have known what our gate was. Given the multiple flight time changes after booking I'm pretty sure this is an airline fuckup. I'm going to try to get some sort of compensation but I doubt I'll take it is far as court lol.