Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357033 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15050 on: August 18, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
SF

Everyone here likes to talk about the places we’ve been and would happily give you all the info you need plan a trip in the US.  Just tell us where you want to go. 

If you want to go to the Caribbean or Europe or something just use a travel agent.

:nono: This blog is worldwide, tdaver.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: August 18, 2022, 09:01:07 PM »
yeah, wtf tdaver

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: August 18, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »
My apologies.  Was directed more towards my assumptions at his comfort level rather than at gE expertise.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: August 18, 2022, 10:44:54 PM »
Imagine thinking we don't have Europe covered. I'd assume we have 90% of the countries represented at this point.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: August 18, 2022, 10:54:30 PM »
You could do a tour group.  They'll plan out all your meals and stops and whatnot.  Odds are that you're not getting the absolute best food but you'll likely be able to hit all the main attractions.

Pro-tip that I gleaned traveling with some posters on here is to go to a nice bar the first night and do a Fernet shot with the bartender.  After going through that trauma together, you're BFFs and they'll recommend all the best food spots.

This is a good tip and I do this on about every trip without kids.

I did this by myself one time in Chicago. It was only my second time there and I was with family the prior time so i wanted to explore. I went to a local bar and the bartender started talking to me. I told him I was going to the Sox game later, but was going to go early and wander around a bit before since I had never been. Both he and the townie dude next to me told me to shut the eff up and listen to them. They mapped out my train to the stadium and said, "you get off here with the rest of the people going to the game and walk straight to the park with that group. On the way back, you wait until there are a few people heading back to the train and you take the same path. You do not, under any circumstances deviate from this plan". I appreciated their advice more when I got close to the park.

Long story short I tried but to intervene but to no avail on behalf of a colleague having a medical incident at McCormick Place, but they took him to Insight Medical Center.  The staff was great, security was great, thankfully. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:00:03 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: August 18, 2022, 11:14:06 PM »
You could do a tour group.  They'll plan out all your meals and stops and whatnot.  Odds are that you're not getting the absolute best food but you'll likely be able to hit all the main attractions.

Pro-tip that I gleaned traveling with some posters on here is to go to a nice bar the first night and do a Fernet shot with the bartender.  After going through that trauma together, you're BFFs and they'll recommend all the best food spots.

This is a good tip and I do this on about every trip without kids.

I did this by myself one time in Chicago. It was only my second time there and I was with family the prior time so i wanted to explore. I went to a local bar and the bartender started talking to me. I told him I was going to the Sox game later, but was going to go early and wander around a bit before since I had never been. Both he and the townie dude next to me told me to shut the eff up and listen to them. They mapped out my train to the stadium and said, "you get off here with the rest of the people going to the game and walk straight to the park with that group. On the way back, you wait until there are a few people heading back to the train and you take the same path. You do not, under any circumstances deviate from this plan". I appreciated their advice more when I got close to the park.
In all fairness, that is stupid northsider/suburbanite advice for people scared of the city. There is a bunch of great stuff in Bridgeport along 35th St West of the stadium
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: August 18, 2022, 11:15:32 PM »
But if you’re from and spent most of your time in small towns / suburbia it was the right advice
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: August 18, 2022, 11:58:20 PM »
My big sis is a real life travel agent, people still use them. I don't, but people do.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: August 19, 2022, 08:55:59 AM »
I have Clear with Amex benefit.  Has anybody ever found Clear useful anywhere?  If so what airport?  Every airport I go to my traveling partner (w/o clear) clears security within a minute of me.  Seems so worthless.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: August 19, 2022, 11:00:37 AM »
clear had a brief shining moment when vaccination status was required places

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15060 on: August 19, 2022, 11:09:45 AM »
I've taken quite a few flights this year and at an airport with proper precheck it has never taken more than 5 minutes to get to ID check.

(Note this doesn't apply to some small time ass town that brags about how small their airport is but precheck just gets a card and you still have to stand in line with everyone else)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: August 19, 2022, 11:25:08 AM »
clear had a brief shining moment when vaccination status was required places

I bought their stock around that time.   :'bye cruel world:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: August 19, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »
I had precheck in ATL last month and clear seemed to be faster there

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: August 19, 2022, 03:49:37 PM »
What airline would even consider this besides Icelandair?

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/status/1560728696163557380?s=19

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: August 19, 2022, 03:55:28 PM »
I mean I get it, but the industry is shading towards smaller international planes, MCI might fit in fairly well there.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: August 19, 2022, 03:55:53 PM »
Fun fact: I took the first Icelandair flight out of kc a few years and it was great! Even got a swag bag  :gocho:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: August 19, 2022, 04:01:45 PM »
this quote from the article is lmao

KCI leaders said there are 877 daily transatlantic passengers from KCI and other regional airports in a presentation to International Airlines Group.

The regional airports include Columbia and Springfield in Missouri; Des Moines, Iowa; Wichita and Manhattan in Kansas; and Lincoln and Omaha in Nebraska.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: August 19, 2022, 04:26:58 PM »
When did MCI switch to KCI?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: August 19, 2022, 04:38:37 PM »
Is there a reason not to present your boarding pass with the airline app vs a paper boarding pass? I’ve only flown once in the last five years but it seemed like I was one of the few people using the app to board. Maybe if you are someplace where you can’t charge your phone?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: August 19, 2022, 04:42:14 PM »
Very boomer of me but I just prefer the paper
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: August 19, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »
When did MCI switch to KCI?
It's a local news story and everyone locally calls it KCI

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: August 20, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »

KCI leaders said there are 877 daily transatlantic passengers from KCI and other regional airports in a presentation to International Airlines Group.

The regional airports include Columbia and Springfield in Missouri; Des Moines, Iowa; Wichita and Manhattan in Kansas; and Lincoln and Omaha in Nebraska.

Regional airport? Whomever wrote that can S my D. It's Des Moines International Airport, hoe.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: August 20, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »
for one shining moment pre-covid OMA had directs to YYZ (toronto) on air canada. gosh darn maple leaf tailed bird. right there in oma  :frown:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: August 20, 2022, 12:15:27 PM »
for one shining moment pre-covid OMA had directs to YYZ (toronto) on air canada. gosh darn maple leaf tailed bird. right there in oma  :frown:
I can't believe KC still has them. Who is on that flight? Has anyone taken one?

I recently did YYZ-LGA and it was cool because you go through US customs in Canada because LGA doesn't have customs

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: August 20, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »

Regional airport? Whomever wrote that can S my D. It's Des Moines International Airport, hoe.

in context i think it just means other airports in the region