Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1354453 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15025 on: August 17, 2022, 03:26:38 PM »
Jacksonville as a tourist destination is lmao. Also Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I essentially lived there for a year or so for work. Jacksonville proper sucks bad, but easy drive distance to other more desirable places.

I never went to Amelia Island or St Augustine but heard they were great. Also rav reviews from golfers about the the world golf stuff south of Jacksonville.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: August 17, 2022, 03:30:32 PM »
St Augustine is cool and close, good points

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: August 17, 2022, 05:20:26 PM »
anyone use a travel agent anymore? I know it seems stupid, but i'm terrible at finding stuff and hate the whole process of it. Mrs SF is the same but times 1000. She would rather not go anywhere than try and book a trip. I'd just like to go to someone and say, "I want to go here and this is the stuff I like to do". Then I'll just pick from there. Is this exactly what a travel agent does? Do they even exist anymore? I have no idea.

Used one for our honeymoon to mexico. We enjoyed it and it made it less stressful. I assume it cost more but I didn't care since I was stressed about other things at the time.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: August 17, 2022, 05:59:44 PM »
anyone use a travel agent anymore? I know it seems stupid, but i'm terrible at finding stuff and hate the whole process of it. Mrs SF is the same but times 1000. She would rather not go anywhere than try and book a trip. I'd just like to go to someone and say, "I want to go here and this is the stuff I like to do". Then I'll just pick from there. Is this exactly what a travel agent does? Do they even exist anymore? I have no idea.

i used one for the first time this year to go to mexico with family. the biggest advantage was a nonstop flight to Cancun from MCI, and also we got a way nicer place than we would have for the same amount of money

https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=12998.msg2148557#msg2148557

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: August 17, 2022, 09:45:04 PM »

My parents use one when they go to Europe and said it was actually cheaper than what they could find online for river/Mediterranean cruises but they are also boomers. They never use one when traveling in North America but I could see how it has value when traveling to a new continent. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15030 on: August 18, 2022, 08:57:24 AM »
Travel Agents generally get paid through commissions from resorts/airlines/cruises.  A positive is that they shouldn't really be any more expensive to use but they also have incentives to send you wherever is paying them the most, regardless of quality.  I don't think most would send you to crap hole for an extra $50 in commission but I would also be careful if an agent starts pushing a certain resort hard.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15031 on: August 18, 2022, 08:58:53 AM »
They typically get you better room locations on cruises for the same price if you are into that sort of amazing vacation

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15032 on: August 18, 2022, 09:40:04 AM »
A better room for a cruise would be completely off the boat on land somewhere

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15033 on: August 18, 2022, 09:53:35 AM »
 :lol:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15034 on: August 18, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »
Yeah, I don't really care about the cost, I just want someone to tell me where to stay, where good food/bars are, and some fun things for kids. Even typing that sentence seemed stupid as this seems like an easy task, but it really isn't and I hate it. It seems I need a different type of travel agent that you guys are talking about. I get the Mexican resort type agents that have deals with the resorts and stuff, I just need like a travel planner. Like, i want to got to the New England area and eat a bunch of good seafood and go to fun restaurants and stuff. If I take the kids, i'll need something else to do as well. Tell me where to stay and give me a list of cool places in whatever area. Here's $100 or whatever.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15035 on: August 18, 2022, 10:24:58 AM »
Google is my travel agent and it's amazing! Also, just walking around new places can be a lot of fun.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15036 on: August 18, 2022, 11:23:58 AM »
Yeah, I don't really care about the cost, I just want someone to tell me where to stay, where good food/bars are, and some fun things for kids. Even typing that sentence seemed stupid as this seems like an easy task, but it really isn't and I hate it. It seems I need a different type of travel agent that you guys are talking about. I get the Mexican resort type agents that have deals with the resorts and stuff, I just need like a travel planner. Like, i want to got to the New England area and eat a bunch of good seafood and go to fun restaurants and stuff. If I take the kids, i'll need something else to do as well. Tell me where to stay and give me a list of cool places in whatever area. Here's $100 or whatever.
I think you should use a travel agent and not feel bad about it.

https://destinationfuntravel.com/meet-our-team/

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15037 on: August 18, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
No crap, a few people say yeah go ahead and use a travel agent and sf decides he's too special for a travel agent and they probably don't do what he wants anyway.

Total putz
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15038 on: August 18, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »
No crap, a few people say yeah go ahead and use a travel agent and sf decides he's too special for a travel agent and they probably don't do what he wants anyway.

Total putz

I don't think you understand - he doesn't want a travel agent, he wants someone that plans a trip for him

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15039 on: August 18, 2022, 11:54:25 AM »
I'd be amazing at what he is describing but only if you like to do what I like to do. Eat and drink.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15040 on: August 18, 2022, 11:59:04 AM »
He's literally never went on a trip before, without asking the entire board on how to do it. It makes sense.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15041 on: August 18, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »

Aren't you married?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15042 on: August 18, 2022, 12:14:00 PM »
He's literally never went on a trip before, without asking the entire board on how to do it. It makes sense.

What the hell else is this place for? I guess we could all just head back to the bidet thread.  :dunno:

Also, you guys are being mean now.  :cry:

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15043 on: August 18, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »

What the hell else is this place for? I guess we could all just head back to the bidet thread.  :dunno:

lol. Just giving you a hard time. I do it too.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15044 on: August 18, 2022, 12:45:16 PM »
I guess we could all just head back to the bidet thread.  :dunno:

x-post with bidet thread: the hotel in riviera maya we stayed at (as recommended by our travel agent) had a bidet in every room  :eek:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15045 on: August 18, 2022, 12:53:05 PM »

lol. Just giving you a hard time. I do it too.

:emawkid:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15046 on: August 18, 2022, 01:38:41 PM »
You could do a tour group.  They'll plan out all your meals and stops and whatnot.  Odds are that you're not getting the absolute best food but you'll likely be able to hit all the main attractions.

Pro-tip that I gleaned traveling with some posters on here is to go to a nice bar the first night and do a Fernet shot with the bartender.  After going through that trauma together, you're BFFs and they'll recommend all the best food spots.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15047 on: August 18, 2022, 01:44:57 PM »
You could do a tour group.  They'll plan out all your meals and stops and whatnot.  Odds are that you're not getting the absolute best food but you'll likely be able to hit all the main attractions.

Pro-tip that I gleaned traveling with some posters on here is to go to a nice bar the first night and do a Fernet shot with the bartender.  After going through that trauma together, you're BFFs and they'll recommend all the best food spots.

This is a good tip and I do this on about every trip without kids.

I did this by myself one time in Chicago. It was only my second time there and I was with family the prior time so i wanted to explore. I went to a local bar and the bartender started talking to me. I told him I was going to the Sox game later, but was going to go early and wander around a bit before since I had never been. Both he and the townie dude next to me told me to shut the eff up and listen to them. They mapped out my train to the stadium and said, "you get off here with the rest of the people going to the game and walk straight to the park with that group. On the way back, you wait until there are a few people heading back to the train and you take the same path. You do not, under any circumstances deviate from this plan". I appreciated their advice more when I got close to the park.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15048 on: August 18, 2022, 04:22:56 PM »

Pro-tip that I gleaned traveling with some posters on here is to go to a nice bar the first night and do a Fernet shot with the bartender.   After going through that trauma together, you're BFFs and they'll recommend all the best food spots.

Bite your tongue

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: August 18, 2022, 04:43:15 PM »
SF

Everyone here likes to talk about the places we’ve been and would happily give you all the info you need plan a trip in the US.  Just tell us where you want to go. 

If you want to go to the Caribbean or Europe or something just use a travel agent.