Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357638 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #13975 on: February 09, 2022, 04:41:26 PM »
That might be old. Here's a site with a few versions and it looks like the special may now be SEVEN bucks.

https://restaurantguru.com/Acropolis-Steakhouse-Portland/menu

rough ridin' inflation

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: February 09, 2022, 04:42:00 PM »
omfg now i want to check this place out, those prices are hilarious

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: February 09, 2022, 04:50:38 PM »
That's not like cow meat at those $ right?
Vegan, hipster cows

Vegan, hipster artisan cows.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: February 09, 2022, 04:54:44 PM »
closest I've seen to those prices is Quaff and their steak special.  Isn't it like 12 wacky?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: February 09, 2022, 05:01:44 PM »
Damn, there's another that says $8.50. Yesterday's price is not today's price!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13980 on: February 09, 2022, 06:21:36 PM »
closest I've seen to those prices is Quaff and their steak special.  Isn't it like 12 wacky?
Yes! I remember always seeing it advertised and wanting to see the people who ordered it, but I think it was a Monday special. :lol:

Purple Pig had a $7.99 special on Friday nights in MHK too. :love:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: February 09, 2022, 06:41:08 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: February 09, 2022, 06:43:41 PM »
house special is $9

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: February 09, 2022, 11:20:05 PM »
that place looks fantastic.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: February 10, 2022, 01:12:57 AM »
That's not like cow meat at those $ right?

They're her, as in the strip club owner's, cows. My Lyft driver told me ol dudes wife took over after he died and they gave their own cattle outside of town.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: February 10, 2022, 01:28:27 AM »
I enjoyed Podnah's BBQ in Portland when we visited there. It was the only BBQ I've had in the PNW that was good and I really liked the brisket there.

https://www.podnahspit.com/

This was very good. We went right after they opened, first costumers of the day. You could smell the meat smoking when we walked up. I had a starter of Texas Red, that's Texas chili without beans, and it was very good. For my entree, I ended up getting a pound of ribs that came with two sides. I got BBQ beans and potato salad. The sides were awful, hated them. The potato salad was essentially a deviled egg, the beans were too authentic, too much bean, not enough bbq. Their sauce isn't sweet so I think it made the beans taste like just plain ass beans. The ribs were fantastic, great bark and prominent smoke ring. The meat was very tender but not too much, just three right chew.

There other people in my party got things other than the dinners, stuff like just brisket or tacos, and they all said they liked their food, but they had pretty small portions.

One thing I forgot to mention was one of the ladies in the group got chips and salsa for an app and the salsa was handmade, easily the best salsa I've ever had in a restaurant.

The only thing that sucked was the service. First of all, the lady who sat us, not the hostess, literally made me wear a mask for two steps, not an exaggeration. We picked up the menus she, she said, sit yourself, we proceeded to our table which was next to where the menus were, she says to me "sir we wear masks here." So I put it back on, walked two steps, sat down, took it off :rolleyes:

Our waiter was rough ridin' awful, too busy flirting with my homegirls and cracking jokes to be attentive. Then I commented that I might want dessert, then homeboy brings me a piece of very mediocre $7 pecan pie without checking with me first :curse:

Overall the place was very good. My meal was a cup of chili, 4 ribs, a cup of bad potato salad, a cup of worse beans, one coke, one piece of pie. $52 after tip. No sales tax.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: February 10, 2022, 01:36:25 AM »
Those ribs must have been rough ridin' amazing to counteract the rest of that and get the place to an overall very good.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: February 10, 2022, 01:42:11 AM »
Holy crap..a fast food steak joint.

The Acropolis Steakhouse has my attention

omfg now i want to check this place out, those prices are hilarious

looks legit
https://yelp.to/8AX0TuVjwnb

that place looks fantastic.

There’s been a number of times gE’rs have flown long distances to have a steak together. Time for acropolisPAK.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: February 10, 2022, 01:55:35 AM »
Those ribs must have been rough ridin' amazing to counteract the rest of that and get the place to an overall very good.

They were. The chili and salsa were also good. Their sauce was dece too. I really appreciate the craft of well made meat.

I also forgot to mention that picture on the website is absolutely a stock photo. Their restaurant looks absolutely nothing like that.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: February 10, 2022, 12:57:07 PM »
I enjoyed Podnah's BBQ in Portland when we visited there. It was the only BBQ I've had in the PNW that was good and I really liked the brisket there.

This was very good. We went right after they opened, first costumers of the day. You could smell the meat smoking when we walked up. I had a starter of Texas Red, that's Texas chili without beans, and it was very good. For my entree, I ended up getting a pound of ribs that came with two sides. I got BBQ beans and potato salad. The sides were awful, hated them. The potato salad was essentially a deviled egg, the beans were too authentic, too much bean, not enough bbq. Their sauce isn't sweet so I think it made the beans taste like just plain ass beans. The ribs were fantastic, great bark and prominent smoke ring. The meat was very tender but not too much, just three right chew.

There other people in my party got things other than the dinners, stuff like just brisket or tacos, and they all said they liked their food, but they had pretty small portions.

One thing I forgot to mention was one of the ladies in the group got chips and salsa for an app and the salsa was handmade, easily the best salsa I've ever had in a restaurant.

The only thing that sucked was the service. First of all, the lady who sat us, not the hostess, literally made me wear a mask for two steps, not an exaggeration. We picked up the menus she, she said, sit yourself, we proceeded to our table which was next to where the menus were, she says to me "sir we wear masks here." So I put it back on, walked two steps, sat down, took it off :rolleyes:

Our waiter was rough ridin' awful, too busy flirting with my homegirls and cracking jokes to be attentive. Then I commented that I might want dessert, then homeboy brings me a piece of very mediocre $7 pecan pie without checking with me first :curse:

Overall the place was very good. My meal was a cup of chili, 4 ribs, a cup of bad potato salad, a cup of worse beans, one coke, one piece of pie. $52 after tip. No sales tax.

I'm glad it was overall very good. It's been a long while since we were there (10+ years) and I don't remember much about the sides. The thing that sticks out to me in my memory was the brisket and the meat we had there. I was wondering about the photo, because it was not how I remembered the place, but I thought maybe they had remodeled.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: February 10, 2022, 01:34:06 PM »

Ooh! Do you remember if they have their own smoker?

I'm pretty sure they have their own smoker. This is what is on the website:

All our meats are slow smoked using 100% oak hardwood. Without electric, gas assistance, or charcoal.
I start at 5 a.m. every morning to have meat ready by dinner that night.

What would it mean for a place to not have their own smoker?

How do you smoke without electric, gas, or charcoal? Are there special smokers out there that can do this and actually maintain a steady temperature? Also, seems like you would go through a ton of wood. I don't see how it could be more environmentally friendly than using a charcoal base.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: February 10, 2022, 02:24:13 PM »

Ooh! Do you remember if they have their own smoker?

I'm pretty sure they have their own smoker. This is what is on the website:

All our meats are slow smoked using 100% oak hardwood. Without electric, gas assistance, or charcoal.
I start at 5 a.m. every morning to have meat ready by dinner that night.

What would it mean for a place to not have their own smoker?

How do you smoke without electric, gas, or charcoal? Are there special smokers out there that can do this and actually maintain a steady temperature? Also, seems like you would go through a ton of wood. I don't see how it could be more environmentally friendly than using a charcoal base.

I don't want to sound like an bad person but you know that people cooked with wood before any of those other things existed, right?

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/stickburning-smoking-wood/

And yes, they presumably use a crap ton of wood, there were cages filled with wood all over the restaurant and at one point the pit master came out and grabbed some slabs. Dude did not look anything like you'd picture a pit master. He was a chubby dude with a mohawk and long rat tail.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: February 10, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »
I realize it's possible to cook with only wood. I'm just curious as to how you get the kind of consistent results that a restaurant would need to have.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: February 10, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »
I realize it's possible to cook with only wood. I'm just curious as to how you get the kind of consistent results that a restaurant would need to have.

somebody has never been to EPR and it shows

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #13994 on: February 12, 2022, 05:47:28 PM »
Huntsville AL wasn't a bad trip if you like space stuff and art museums. Easy drive from Louisville.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13995 on: February 15, 2022, 03:17:19 PM »
Watching Claws take on the ATL Hawks tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: February 15, 2022, 04:03:55 PM »
I really like Atlanta. It's too late at this point but the College Football Hall of Fame is right next door to State Farm Arena and it's awesome, that whole area, Mercedes Benz Arena to Centennial Park to World of Coke, The Civil Rights Museum, and the Aquarium is walkable and rough ridin' great.

If you can get over to Georgia Tech I'd recommend that too, I love their old, weird football stadium. It's too bad the yellow jackets play tonight instead of tomorrow, their basketball arena is a great example of the smaller model of arenas.

The MLK site is very cool and it's a national park site, so it's free.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: February 15, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
Oh, Magic City isn't close to anywhere you will be and isn't a tourist trap, probably shouldn't go over there unless you plan on going in and getting an order of LouWill Lemon Pepper BBQ wings.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: February 15, 2022, 04:11:12 PM »
Thank you! I'm right downtown, less than a half a mile from the arena. I might have some time tomorrow.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: February 15, 2022, 05:11:14 PM »
going to a wedding in munich next summer and trying to decide where to go after. it's down to eastern europe (like maybe vienna/bratislava/budapest) and iberia. i don't know how to choose

The 2020 wedding in Germany that was postponed to 2021 got postponed again to 2022 so like where should me and mrs mocat go this summer? Probably just camp in CO / Moab again? Maybe Zion (never been)