Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334585 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12875 on: March 19, 2021, 10:31:37 AM »
Flying to ft myers on Sunday, round trip for two was $450 total. Of course we had points, so we used them, but you honestly can't beat that.

CDC says we shouldn't travel!!!!

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: March 19, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »
i absolutely hate that flight attendant stuff, but that's more a reflection on me than SW. just the polos and khaki shorts, no power outlets / seatback screens, no choosing your seat beforehand, idk, me and SW are just not compatible. the occasional random nonstop to Baltimore or whatever is handy in a pinch

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: March 19, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
it has nothing to do with legroom though, lol

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: March 19, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
 :D

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12879 on: March 19, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »
i absolutely hate that flight attendant stuff, but that's more a reflection on me than SW. just the polos and khaki shorts, no power outlets / seatback screens, no choosing your seat beforehand, idk, me and SW are just not compatible. the occasional random nonstop to Baltimore or whatever is handy in a pinch

I echo this, especially the flight attendant stuff.  Add in the queue approach which I hate somewhat due to my flying brethren can't figure it out.

that said I'll take them a lot and 99% of the time to Vegas due to the only direct and I very much enjoy when I get the companion pass setup.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12880 on: March 19, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »
How are so many of you friends with people too stupid to figure out the simplest boarding procedure in air travel?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: March 19, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »
How are so many of you friends with people too stupid to figure out the simplest boarding procedure in air travel?

these aren't my friends, these are the A32 ticket holder that can't figure out numbers and letters

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: March 19, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
Seems like the uniqueness is due to the very specific sides served, which don't seem great.

the cut is tri-tip, that's the "unique" part.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: March 19, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
hard for me to imagine canada is gonna lock out a bunch of vaccinated-up american tourists flush with stimulus money for no reason.

mir, you should post all your maine tips.  it's on my list too.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: March 19, 2021, 02:24:57 PM »
POST THE TIPS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12885 on: March 19, 2021, 02:55:32 PM »
I think the SW cheeky flight attendant stuff is pretty rare these days

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: March 19, 2021, 06:03:40 PM »
I think the SW cheeky flight attendant stuff is pretty rare these days
They sang a song on my flight the other day. Kids loved it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: March 19, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »
Southwest brought me and Mrs. Wacky a bottle of champagne on our flight to the DR (honeymoon) because a person in line during boarding heard us talking about our wedding the night prior. Their flight attendants are amaze. I can’t remember the last time we’ve paid for a flight due to points too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: March 19, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »

I'm with you buddy. I hate the crap out of SW. Also on mostly full or completely full flights the onus lies on the travelers to be considerate and not selfish assholes. You can also add the leg room issue for me as well. If I'm on a fight where I can't stretch out in coach in upgrading to economy plus or business class.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: March 19, 2021, 07:45:57 PM »
hard for me to imagine canada is gonna lock out a bunch of vaccinated-up american tourists flush with stimulus money for no reason.

mir, you should post all your maine tips.  it's on my list too.

Which region are you interested in staying?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: March 19, 2021, 07:50:23 PM »
POST THE TIPS!

How far are you willing to venture off of the island?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: March 19, 2021, 08:32:38 PM »
Booth Bay

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: March 19, 2021, 08:33:06 PM »
I mean, we could do whatever. Could be further.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: March 19, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »
actually that's basically portland so I've only ruled out Kennebunkport. But that would actually be fine too. A day trip road trip would be fine. we're bringing car seats and renting a tahoe, may as well use it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: March 19, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »

i need you to tell me that.  more of a mountains and moose fan than lobster and whales.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: March 19, 2021, 09:25:31 PM »
Booth Bay

First of all, skip Boothbay. I love it, used to go every summer, but it has nothing that Bar Harbor doesn't have, literally nothing.

As much as I love Portland, that's where we'll be, I'd skip that too. It's 3.5 from Bar Harbor and not really worth a day trip, that should be its own unique trip. There's enough to do for y'all in 8 days, it will be a really relaxing trip, like the polar opposite of your Disney trips.

The only recommeno I'll make outside of the immediate Mount Desert Island area is a trip to Calais. It's 2.5 hours away up northeast from Bar Harbor. It's a really cool city on the border and you can go to St. Croix Island which is literally on the border and it's very pretty there. www.nps.gov/sacr/index.htm

-Forget about any beach and take layers even if you go in July. The only real beach in classic terms at Bar Harbor is pretty small and clearly made to appease tourists. If you insist on going to a real beach you will then need to go to Boothbay to either Popham Beach or Reid State Park and hope for warm weather. Both are nice beaches but you're in the North Atlantic so the weather is rarely warm enough for a "beach day." Boothbay is far enough south for there to be some of those days. If you check the weather before you leave for Maine and see you'll get some hot coastal days, bear in mind the warmest part of the day there is late morning to early afternoon.

-Go Sea Kayaking. You actually won't be on open Atlantic waters, there's lots of coves, so it won't be intimidating for anyone. I can't even swim and I did it and it was great. This company is great www.acadiafun.com

-Two restaurant selections you won't see but you must do are Pat's Pizza and Governor's Restaurant. Both are Maine chains but are very much Maine things to do. The Pizza at Pat's is very good and it's usually a good family atmosphere with good local beer choices too. Have a Shipyard for me! Governor's is like a local version of ihop but their menu has a lot of local flavor with things like Lobster Rolls and Poutine. Again plenty for the kids and their dessert menu is unmatched.

-The Lumberjack Show is cool and a very unique experience. One of the ladies who is part of the show, maybe the owner, was on Survivor. www.mainelumberjack.com

-There's a cool fun center just as you cross onto the island. They have water slides, mini golf, go carts, a ropes course, and a bunch of other stuff. It's far enough from the ocean that the water slides won't be freezing. www.wildacadia.com

-Many people don't know this but Maine produces nearly all of America's blueberries. Cool blueberry restaurant and kitschy spot. www.wildblueberryland.com

-I think there is only one boat cruise company and its on the Maine drag of Bar Harbor. That street goes right to the ocean and ends at this spot. They have all kinds of boat tours; whale watches, harbor cruises, deep sea fishing, etc. I've never done the whale watch because we normally do that in Cape Cod because there's a whale sanctuary there and we know we'll see them. If you go on one or more of these excursions, and in 8 days I'm assuming you will, don't just do the harbor cruise. All of their other excursions basically include everything you'd see on the basic cruise. https://www.barharborwhales.com/#activities

-I mentioned it before, they're currently planning on being closed for the summer, but if they do open take the CAT Ferry to Nova Scotia. It's such an amazingly unique experience. When you get to NS go Puffin watching if you don't see them on the CAT. https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/overview/

-Finally I didn't include anything from Acadia because you don't need any tips from me on that one. The one thing I'll say about Acadia is the most underrated part is something many people don't see because it isn't actually on the island. It's Schoodic Peninsula it's only like 30 miles away from Bar Harbor but it takes an hour to drive there. It's still part of Acadia, but it's on a peninsula across from the island looking back, it's beautiful and not nearly as busy. Go there.

That's it my friend. Any questions, ask.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: March 19, 2021, 09:31:36 PM »
maine sounds like it sucks tbh, you should go to disney again instead sd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: March 19, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »

i need you to tell me that.  more of a mountains and moose fan than lobster and whales.

Ah yes, the mountain and lakes region, that's my favorite region. I love it because it's so close to everything and the lobster and whales are only an hour or so away if you need a change of pace, and that's to the warmer south Maine coast. BTW Maine is split into regions for tourism purposes

Mountain & Lakes
Maine Beaches
Mid Coast
Maine Highlands
Aroostook County
Acadia & Downeast
Kennebec Valley
Portland & Casco Bay

I'll give you a mountain & lakes breakdown tomorrow, I'm worn out today. I will let you know that you have 3 airport options, Portland, Manchester, NH, & Boston. Boston would definitely be the most options, it's 2-3 hours away from wherever you would be staying in the region but that's the easiest, most beautiful stretch of interstate on the east coast and some of the recommendos I have for you will be on the way. Portland is closest, but Manchester is also very close, those two airports are indistinguishable.

Okay I'm Maine'd out right now, but I got you, I promise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »
maine sounds like it sucks tbh, you should go to disney again instead sd

With your beard you look like every Mainer ever.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:35 PM »
I've never been to Maine, but I think tide pools are good family fun.