Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353490 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12850 on: March 18, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
I've flown to hawaii 4 times rt in coach and while it sucked it wasn't the suckiest thing ever. the worst part of the redeye home is the landing in hub and dealing with normal travelers all over the damn place while you groggily drag yourself to your connection home. it is possible to get back on a non-redeye but it's trickier and you blow through the whole day doing it. when traveling with kids I am very adamant that we are going to get a LOT of trip out of the travel time. I'd never got to Hawaii with kids for less than 7 nights unless I was rusty and could get direct flights. I do the same for even domestic trips. we're flying to maine in July and staying 8 nights for similar reasons. if I have to fly into freaking bangor and rent a sled to drive to bar harbor I'm getting some time in.

I'm guessing you have booked already, but it is worth the time to fly into Portland instead of Bangor. The drive from Portland to Mount Desert Island is awesome. Eight nights is a looooooonnnnnnnnggggg time for Bar Harbor if you aren't jumping on that CAT Ferry to Nova Scotia for a couple of days. It's really really small but even more isolated. Most of the businesses are either bar/restaurants, souvenir shops, and ice cream shoppes. Last time I went, we went hiking, biking, and Sea Kayaking, all at Acadia. Went mini-golfing and arcading, went to a lumberjack show, deep sea fishing, and an island dinner cruise and did all of that in 4 days, because everything is really close, like you drive there and need to do so, but you won't need the car again for anything but the Lumberjack Show and Mini-Golf, because those two things are on the island but not in Bar Harbor.

I have a ton of Bar Harbor and Maine tips. Maine is my Disney for you. We are staying on the South Coast this summer.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12851 on: March 18, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
I just looked at a one way from LIH so the prices are wonky but still. This list goes on for a while before you get to 11pm or later arrival.

all those are overnights except the Alaska

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: March 18, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
I just looked at a one way from LIH so the prices are wonky but still. This list goes on for a while before you get to 11pm or later arrival.

oh no crap? which one requires you to stay the night in the city of the layover?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: March 18, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
I've flown to hawaii 4 times rt in coach and while it sucked it wasn't the suckiest thing ever. the worst part of the redeye home is the landing in hub and dealing with normal travelers all over the damn place while you groggily drag yourself to your connection home. it is possible to get back on a non-redeye but it's trickier and you blow through the whole day doing it. when traveling with kids I am very adamant that we are going to get a LOT of trip out of the travel time. I'd never got to Hawaii with kids for less than 7 nights unless I was rusty and could get direct flights. I do the same for even domestic trips. we're flying to maine in July and staying 8 nights for similar reasons. if I have to fly into freaking bangor and rent a sled to drive to bar harbor I'm getting some time in.

I'm guessing you have booked already, but it is worth the time to fly into Portland instead of Bangor. The drive from Portland to Mount Desert Island is awesome. Eight nights is a looooooonnnnnnnnggggg time for Bar Harbor if you aren't jumping on that CAT Ferry to Nova Scotia for a couple of days. It's really really small but even more isolated. Most of the businesses are either bar/restaurants, souvenir shops, and ice cream shoppes. Last time I went, we went hiking, biking, and Sea Kayaking, all at Acadia. Went mini-golfing and arcading, went to a lumberjack show, deep sea fishing, and an island dinner cruise and did all of that in 4 days, because everything is really close, like you drive there and need to do so, but you won't need the car again for anything but the Lumberjack Show and Mini-Golf, because those two things are on the island but not in Bar Harbor.

I have a ton of Bar Harbor and Maine tips. Maine is my Disney for you. We are staying on the South Coast this summer.
Great stuff here. We have been and flew into Portland last time. We are doing all of it in Bar Harbor except possibly the first night in Camden. Have an Airbnb locked up for the rest of it right in downtown bar harbor. May be tired of it by the end but we’ll risk it. We only did bar harbor for 2 nights last time and wished we had longer. Probably a lot of hiking (kid friendly). Hit me up with any must do or must not dos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: March 18, 2021, 12:27:23 PM »
Gonna grab Council Bluffs by its balls and taint this weekend.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12855 on: March 18, 2021, 12:32:46 PM »

Great stuff here. We have been and flew into Portland last time. We are doing all of it in Bar Harbor except possibly the first night in Camden. Have an Airbnb locked up for the rest of it right in downtown bar harbor. May be tired of it by the end but we’ll risk it. We only did bar harbor for 2 nights last time and wished we had longer. Probably a lot of hiking (kid friendly). Hit me up with any must do or must not dos.

also, we are booked but can adjust the itenerary for little to no charge if needed. I'm a travel booking and points using savant with this stuff.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: March 18, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
The 2020 wedding in Germany that was postponed to 2021 got postponed again to 2022 so like where should me and mrs mocat go this summer? Probably just camp in CO / Moab again? Maybe Zion (never been)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: March 18, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
The 2020 wedding in Germany that was postponed to 2021 got postponed again to 2022 so like where should me and mrs mocat go this summer? Probably just camp in CO / Moab again? Maybe Zion (never been)

Camping is what we had to do for fun during covid, go do something sexy!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: March 18, 2021, 12:58:04 PM »
Sounds like the movie 5 year engagement.  :frown:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: March 18, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »

Zion (and So Utah in general) is amazing but hot as balls in the summer.  There are some higher elevation places you can stay within easy driving distance so that you can cool off in the evening.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:12:50 PM by tdaver »

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: March 18, 2021, 03:12:25 PM »
Any chance the US/Canada border will be open by July?  I was able to defer entry from a canceled event last year to this year and I really really really want to go.

What do you think, guys?  Getting anxious to make travel plans.  Maybe I should just defer it another year.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: March 18, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »

oh no crap? which one requires you to stay the night in the city of the layover?

:nono:

this was what I was referring to, please don't try to be mean to me!

Thanks for the info guys. The Hyatt looks great and I was ready to book it until I found out how much of a pain in the balls it is to get to and from Hawaii (mostly from). I'm probably passing.
What is the hard part? Jet lag?

All of the flights back are overnight or you fly back to CA and then leave the next day. All that seems rough with young kids. Still debating.

Still, SW would be the airline that would probably require an overnight stay

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: March 18, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »
Any chance the US/Canada border will be open by July?  I was able to defer entry from a canceled event last year to this year and I really really really want to go.

What do you think, guys?  Getting anxious to make travel plans.  Maybe I should just defer it another year.

I’m doubtful and it sucks. America’s gonna be extra white trash boom boom on 4th of July and there’ll be no escape.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: March 18, 2021, 03:22:49 PM »
Biden admin is opening up international travel in May according to some tweet I saw earlier

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: March 18, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »
Doesn’t mean stupid sexy Trudeau will though

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: March 18, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
i dont even like flights under 6 hours anymore

"i can only watch three movies wtf?" - what i say to myself and out loud

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: March 18, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »
i dont even like flights under 6 hours anymore

"i can only watch three movies wtf?" - what i say to myself and out loud

nothing worse than ending one as you land and having to deal with all the announcements

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: March 18, 2021, 06:47:27 PM »
:Rusty:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: March 19, 2021, 12:24:12 AM »

I don't think it's great. The plans I had to share with the Steve Davids included taking the elite CAT Ferry to Nova Scotia for some Puffin watching and a Canadian good time but the authorities in NS announced on February 1st that they will remain closed through the summer. Of course other provinces can make their own decisions, but I can't imagine NS cutting off such a huge part of their economy without consultation.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: March 19, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
Southwest flight to Hawaii is something I don't think I would ever do. And if I did I would be an unbearable bad person to my friends and family about how terrible it was

Totally, but I have (had?) to fly them all the time for work so I'm sitting on like 500K miles I gotta use somehow.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12870 on: March 19, 2021, 08:54:55 AM »
Mocat acts like he's 6"4' and can't tolerate a less than 10 hour flight to Hawaii on SW. lol. With his short ass....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:14:55 AM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12871 on: March 19, 2021, 09:31:45 AM »
If you have A-List, traveling on Southwest (for me) is better than any other domestic airline.  The only limitations are if you love airline food, or don't have a smartphone/tablet/laptop.  Southwest can't provide you with airline food and doesn't have screens in the headrest. 

If you don't have A-list, and don't buy early bird, then Southwest can probably feel pretty crummy.  No argument with that.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12872 on: March 19, 2021, 10:17:30 AM »
SW is super efficient and delivers all the time. I'll cram my tall ass in the bathroom if I have to for the cost of their flights.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12873 on: March 19, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
I don't find SW fares to be any cheaper than AA anymore but that's probably because AA's hub is here.

The last time I flew SW was two years ago to Boise and we had a super entertaining flight attendant. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12874 on: March 19, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »
Flying to ft myers on Sunday, round trip for two was $450 total. Of course we had points, so we used them, but you honestly can't beat that.