Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334427 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12650 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
Will they let Americans into the country? Seems like a bad idea if they are

I'm considering USVI.
Considering this as well. They weren't on the initial list I saw that was allowing Americans.

Still not sure how it will play in the office.

Is there a reason they need to know? Let's do it, phil. You and me.
I was all in with you bud. Mushed by infosec.

wait, really?
I'm not 100% shutout yet but if you look into it see if your company allows connections from outside the US.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12651 on: July 13, 2020, 09:36:12 AM »
Will they let Americans into the country? Seems like a bad idea if they are

I'm considering USVI.
Considering this as well. They weren't on the initial list I saw that was allowing Americans.

Still not sure how it will play in the office.

Is there a reason they need to know? Let's do it, phil. You and me.
I was all in with you bud. Mushed by infosec.

wait, really?
I'm not 100% shutout yet but if you look into it see if your company allows connections from outside the US.

backup plan is key west.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12653 on: July 14, 2020, 11:00:26 AM »
Because of my extended WFH scenario I have also considered this whole chill at the beach for a month and WFH.  The downer right now is that the best places to go are the global hot spots right now :frown:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: July 14, 2020, 11:05:17 AM »
Because of my extended WFH scenario I have also considered this whole chill at the beach for a month and WFH.  The downer right now is that the best places to go are the global hot spots right now :frown:
Like? I should have an answer tomorrow. Finalists are Aruba, Barbados, St Thomas. Would like st Marteen but looks like they are being all anti American.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12655 on: July 14, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »
your plan doesn't make sense to me. if downtown kc feels like an isolated island, why is your solution to go to an actually isolated island for a month?

i would go crazy on st maarten for an entire month

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12656 on: July 14, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »
your plan doesn't make sense to me. if downtown kc feels like an isolated island, why is your solution to go to an actually isolated island for a month?

i would go crazy on st maarten for an entire month
I'm not really sure honestly. Never had a chance to do it, escape to a place where covid isn't going HAM, check out a new culture versus just popping in for a few days, trial run a new life?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12657 on: July 14, 2020, 11:16:37 AM »
Like? I should have an answer tomorrow. Finalists are Aruba, Barbados, St Thomas. Would like st Marteen but looks like they are being all anti American.
I’m talking places within the US like Florida and stuff. I haven’t looked abroad because I wouldn’t want to risk not being able to get back or a quarantine either when I get somewhere outside the US or coming back.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12658 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »
I’m talking places within the US like Florida and stuff. I haven’t looked abroad because I wouldn’t want to risk not being able to get back or a quarantine either when I get somewhere outside the US or coming back.
Fair points. These places let you come in with a recent negative test so feel like the quarantine risk is mitigated going there. Not being able to get back is a consideration thought a lot about but I assume my powerful state department could get me back if commercial flights stop? At minimum there would be a warning of them ending and come back early.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12659 on: July 14, 2020, 11:44:27 AM »
Fair points. These places let you come in with a recent negative test so feel like the quarantine risk is mitigated going there. Not being able to get back is a consideration thought a lot about but I assume my powerful state department could get me back if commercial flights stop? At minimum there would be a warning of them ending and come back early.

If you are considering Aruba I would also look at Curaçao.  I was there for a week 2.5 years ago and it was great.  It's less commercialized than Aruba but it was amazing there.  Did snorkeling of a ship wreck, met a Curaçao Olympian, and did a fantastic ATV tour of the island that I would highly recommend.  This is where I stayed but looks like they are currently closed :frown:

https://www.santabarbararesortcuracao.com/

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12660 on: July 14, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
Croatia is begging Americans to come visit rn
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:06 PM »
I was scheduled to visit this very week! In Oregon instead which is great!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:26:55 PM by michigancat »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: July 14, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »

given delays on testing and receiving test results, this seems like it might be difficult to schedule.

“Persons arriving from a third-party country are not subject to a quarantine / self-isolation measure if they present a negative PCR result of a nasal and throat swab for SARS-Cov-2 at the border crossing point, which is not older than 48 hours (counting from the time of taking the swab to arriving at the border crossing point).
Persons who do not present a negative PCR result are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine / self-isolation measure. As of July 13, 2020.”
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: July 14, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »
I was scheduled to visit this very week! In Oregon instead which is great!

This edit really helps clarify because going to Croatia every week seemed excessive.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: July 14, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »

given delays on testing and receiving test results, this seems like it might be difficult to schedule.

“Persons arriving from a third-party country are not subject to a quarantine / self-isolation measure if they present a negative PCR result of a nasal and throat swab for SARS-Cov-2 at the border crossing point, which is not older than 48 hours (counting from the time of taking the swab to arriving at the border crossing point).
Persons who do not present a negative PCR result are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine / self-isolation measure. As of July 13, 2020.”

I'm pretty confident an enterprising individual could find an expedited private test
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: July 14, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
someone should start up a lab to just run expedited tests for travelers.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: July 14, 2020, 04:36:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure early on the Vienna airport would offer tests upon arrival (for a fee) instead of a quarantine.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: July 14, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »
lounges are gonna offer tests and credit cards will refund the test fees within 3 months.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:45 PM »

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: July 25, 2020, 05:12:00 PM »
Has anyone been to Belize?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: July 25, 2020, 07:08:05 PM »

no but I played soccer with a guy from there. kind of an interesting place, supposed to be beautiful.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: July 26, 2020, 06:46:40 AM »
Yes honeymoon

It was dope

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: July 26, 2020, 07:18:48 AM »
Did like an all inclusive island thing

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: July 27, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
Tubed in a cave in Belize.  It was fun.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: July 27, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »
Island work idea is fizzling.  Too many logistics getting testing back in a 72 hour timeframe.  Not wanting to risk flying there, test positive, and spend two weeks in their isolation chambers.