Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356486 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #10750 on: December 29, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
Yep.  For this, the rate at the bank was close enough that the $10 american dollars I might've shorted myself will be evened out by no atm fees and drinking a beer while the others have to go deal with that, and avoiding any risk of the atm/card not working.  And I can have my tiny travel wallet that holds nothing but cash, ID and 1 card all loaded up with pesos in advance.  Should be fun, if not the actual trip, telling the story in hoops chat.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: December 29, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
Every place we have ever went in PV takes plastic anyways...but I've probably only went to güero places

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #10752 on: December 29, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
The mother-in-law is retiring and moving to Florida on Jan 1.  Looks like we will have annual family vacations down in the Venice/Tampa area going forward.  Any can't miss spots down there (especially for young kids <5 years old)
Clearwater Aquarium. Beach. Manatees. Drive to Orlando for the day.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »
have to be in garden city for a wedding tomorrow, i assume there's some decent mexican, vietnamese etc food to be found somewhere?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: December 30, 2017, 02:42:50 AM »
have to be in garden city for a wedding tomorrow, i assume there's some decent mexican, vietnamese etc food to be found somewhere?

I was just there for this very thing.  the BWW is the hot new thing I was told.  El Zarape is the oldest Mexi-tex place in Kansas but it kind of sucked and only had beers.  We were going to go to Las Margaritas...so maybe try that place? 

Jax Sports Grille was serviceable as a sports bar and had reviews on Yelp as being one of the few places you could go and not be shot...so that was a positive.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10755 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
I didn't get around to doing that research Gooch asked for so can you guys just give me some info?

Looking to do a road trip which includes Mt. Ruchmore, Yellowstone, camping, (light) hiking.
Need info on camping in/near Yellowstone and whether this year long national parks pass would be worthwhile.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088574
Also anything else to do along the way.

TIA.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »
you MUST go to Panchos Takos.   I don't care what else you do.

I predict I'll be promptly informed it's a rough ridin' tourist trap for white boys and will be taken instead to some equivalent that's run by distant cousins.

KSU hoops chat's resurgence is coming.

This pretty much happened exactly, except we didn't even have to move. He gave a bunch of pesos to a hotel worker and had the guy bring us and all of the hotel staff as many as could be had from his spot.

And pancho's is next door to our hotel.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: January 03, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »
I didn't get around to doing that research Gooch asked for so can you guys just give me some info?

Looking to do a road trip which includes Mt. Ruchmore, Yellowstone, camping, (light) hiking.
Need info on camping in/near Yellowstone and whether this year long national parks pass would be worthwhile.

TIA.

that pass is probably worth it if you're going to a couple of different national parks. Jackson Wyoming and grand Teton national park are also just south of Yellowstone. Jackson is great. foodie town, etc. what time of year are you going? because you'll think hey it's june and we'll be just fine and then next thing you know, you're in a tent in Yellowstone and it's like 31 degrees.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

TIA.

that pass is probably worth it if you're going to a couple of different national parks. Jackson Wyoming and grand Teton national park are also just south of Yellowstone. Jackson is great. foodie town, etc. what time of year are you going? because you'll think hey it's june and we'll be just fine and then next thing you know, you're in a tent in Yellowstone and it's like 31 degrees.

Yeah Gooch was suggesting late May but I think that may still be too cold.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:35 AM »

TIA.

Yeah Gooch was suggesting late May but I think that may still be too cold.

all depends on the gear you have and what you're up for but late may will be super cold at night. some lodges and park facilities don't even open until june I think. might need to look it up though.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: January 03, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
also, Yellowstone is pretty amazing and I think you guys should totally do it. you can stay outside of Yellowstone the day before you go in or the day you leave or whatever but I'd at least spend a couple of nights inside the park. coming and then driving back out every night would be a super pain in the ass. the lodges all fill up super early but then occasionally become available at random times as people cancel. I stayed a couple of nights at Roosevelt lodge and it was great in that it was super cheap, kind of interesting/different and inside of the park. the website that you would book rooms and campsites on is here...

https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
also, Yellowstone is pretty amazing and I think you guys should totally do it. you can stay outside of Yellowstone the day before you go in or the day you leave or whatever but I'd at least spend a couple of nights inside the park. coming and then driving back out every night would be a super pain in the ass. the lodges all fill up super early but then occasionally become available at random times as people cancel. I stayed a couple of nights at Roosevelt lodge and it was great in that it was super cheap, kind of interesting/different and inside of the park. the website that you would book rooms and campsites on is here...

:thumbs:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: January 03, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »

TIA.

start reading here

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg1599407#msg1599407

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: January 03, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »

:thumbs:

I'm not kidding when I say these places fill up early but then occasionally open up. most of them are filled like a year or more in advance. they do open up though so if you plan on going, I'd check at least once a day or more.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: January 03, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »

TIA.

start reading here

When you camp, do you pay to get into the park and then pay to camp? i.e. that $80 pass would get us in and get us a 50% discount on camping so it is probably worth it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: January 03, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

TIA.

start reading here

When you camp, do you pay to get into the park and then pay to camp? i.e. that $80 pass would get us in and get us a 50% discount on camping so it is probably worth it.

yeah. any national park costs a decent amount of money to get into and then there is a separate fee to stay inside of it. if you are going to multiple parks-badlands, rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. then I'm pretty sure it makes sense to buy a year pass.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #10766 on: January 03, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »
There’s no entrance fee to Rushmore (there is a separate parking fee) or Wind Cave.

That pass probably only makes sense if you do Yellowstone, Teton (there’s a joint pass for a little bit more, used to be combined for the same price) Badlands AND Rocky Mountain, which would be an insane/long trip. Or if you have more trips planned this year.

Edit: Forgot about Devil’s Tower. If you do that, Badlands, YNP and GTNP (which you probably should) the pass is probably a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:15:12 AM by wELLsculptedbrows »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: January 03, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
Well the $80 pass can have 2 owners and is good for the entire vehicle (up to 4 people) entrance. Plus you get 50% off of camping.

So $30 entrance fee to Yellowstone. $37 savings on 3 days of camping. That's $67 so if we did even one other park entry or more camping, seems like it would be a good deal. (Plus maybe saving a little time not having to pay at the gate?)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: January 03, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
Well the $80 pass can have 2 owners and is good for the entire vehicle (up to 4 people) entrance. Plus you get 50% off of camping.

Unless you Gooches are super old and qualify for the Senior pass, there is no camping discount.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: January 03, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »
When I looked at Yellowstone/Grand Teton a couple months ago, it seemed like inside and outside accommodations were pretty much $300/night. And then either a hellish travel day via SLC or $600 tickets to Jackson Hole. I did not like those options.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10770 on: January 03, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »

Unless you Gooches are super old and qualify for the Senior pass, there is no camping discount.

Oh I see now the discount is for Interagency "Access" Pass which is for disabled people. I thought they were just talking about the regular annual pass.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: January 03, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
When I looked at Yellowstone/Grand Teton a couple months ago, it seemed like inside and outside accommodations were pretty much $300/night. And then either a hellish travel day via SLC or $600 tickets to Jackson Hole. I did not like those options.

camping is like basically free. i drove and stopped with friends in Denver/Estes each way. pretty much 2 days of driving each way, 5 nights camping in between. i don't mind road trippin' tho

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: January 03, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

camping is like basically free. i drove and stopped with friends in Denver/Estes each way. pretty much 2 days of driving each way, 5 nights camping in between. i don't mind road trippin' tho

Yes, Camping is $25-$30 per night. And as of right now there is plenty of space available. We'll be going to Mt. Rushmore on the way, so it will take a little longer.

Offline porky morgan

• Not the real Porky Morgan
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: January 03, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
Mrs G...I live near Yellowstone in Montana and have a couple of tips. If you're coming in from the Rushmore direction you could enter the park through Cooke City (NE entrance) or Paradise Valley/Livingston (North entrance). The Cook City option takes you over an incredible pass but in May it may not be open...Beartooth pass. Google Earth it, you'll be amazed. BTW May is going to be cold at night, but if you're tent camping the bears might not yet be out causing trouble. Not kidding, get some bear spray if you hike in the park. Not to alarm you as incidents are really rare but it's the safe thing to do. The Livingston route is always open and is nice too. If you go that way consider a night at Chico Hot Springs, for a nice room and a soak and a good restaurant. During high season camping is crowded and you'll want to get where you are looking to camp early in the day. Claim your spot and then go sight seeing. There are some campgrounds that can be reserved ahead of time but not all. My favorite part of the park is the northeast corner...Lamar valley, etc. More wildlife to see and fewer traffic jams. The west side of the park is more about geysers and waterfalls and stuff. Cool but more crowded. Go out the south end to see Jackson, but while the peaks and lakes are beautiful the town is really pricey and trendy. Like Aspen. As to the pass, one advantage is that there is a quick lane at the entry gates for passholders, so you avoid wating in line. Sounds like a great roadtrip.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: January 03, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
I'm starting to re-think the timeframe because I don't like to be cold. So maybe a little later in the year. You sold me on the pass with the quick lane.

I am thinking I'll reserve camping at this link; so need to figure out which is the best spot. Do you think one of these is less prone to bear attacks?
https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/stay/camping/