Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356868 times)

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #9875 on: June 16, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
I guess the question is. Why are delta passengers in the 95% rushing to get on the plane?  I've never understood the desire to be the first on the plane that won't leave until everyone is on it. Especially with assigned seats.  5-10 extra minutes of crampedness?  No thanks.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: June 16, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
I guess the question is. Why are delta passengers in the 95% rushing to get on the plane?  I've never understood the desire to be the first on the plane that won't leave until everyone is on it. Especially with assigned seats.  5-10 extra minutes of crampedness?  No thanks.

the obvious answer here is overhead bin space if you have a roller bag.

if i'm checking a bag i agree with you, i wait until the very last second to board the plane.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: June 16, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
also more time to down a pre-flight booze drink if you're first class.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: June 16, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »
oh goodness i guess i need to come in here and moderate. i am what they would call an expert on both sides of this conversation, Delta vs. Southwest.

if you want to have a debate about which is the better airline, there are too many factors to do that sufficiently and no mind is going to be changed.

i fly delta for work, weekly. i can't imagine flying southwest for consistent work travel... i hate the cattle boarding, i hate not knowing where i'm going to be sitting, and i hate that there are no Comfort+ or First Class upgrade opportunities which include more leg room and free booze. Delta's in flight experience is better, there is no debating this. the entertainment options are incredible and every week i'm watching a movie that was just in theaters a couple months before. yesterday's movie was Logan. and it's all free! because i fly delta i will soon have access to the Delta Sky lounge that is in any major airport in the united states, and i will soon be booking flights to Hawaii for my wife and myself next year all paid for with skymiles, with a probable upgrade to first class. Hawaii!

living in kansas city, however, means you are going to be forced to fly southwest once in a while. they have by far the most directs, and yes, they are almost always cheaper in my experience. 11,000 points for a round trip flight to mexico city? that's asinine. by using my CSP i earn enough points that by the time i have to fly for personal reasons, i can pay for it with UR points directly transferred to Southwest. the same cannot be said for Delta. the convenience of free cancellations/changes cannot be overstated. and, no bag fees.

Delta is a better, more robust airline but that doesn't mean it is the airline FOR YOU.

the more you know.
Long form of exactly what I posted....thanks for the validation tats

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: June 16, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
also more time to down a pre-flight booze drink if you're first class.

YES!

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: June 16, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »

the obvious answer here is overhead bin space if you have a roller bag.

if i'm checking a bag i agree with you, i wait until the very last second to board the plane.

I get that.  But then people drag way too much crap onto carryon anyway.  Tighten the screws on that and then no worries.  I travel light, usually a soft bag that i can squish into a bin if necessary and a backpack under the seat.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: June 16, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
Delta = best in general
American = best if based in Chicago or MHK
Southwest = I guess if you are flying out of Kansas City all the time
United = just no.
:adios:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: June 16, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
Dealing with uncertainty for a small chunk of time is indeed terrifying to some people.
Seems so simple to me. Operate a lever, jump out, avoid the possible trampling, and assist others.

Hell, if you're that worried, open an overhead bin prior to crash and block the aisle to make sure you get out.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: June 16, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »
I like AA best, then United, then Delta, then SW. But we fly mostly SW as a family. United has the best points reciprocation by far.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: June 16, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
looks like the swa contingent took this debate hands down

new topic- hotel pillows, love 'em or leave 'em?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9885 on: June 16, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
Never had a good one
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: June 16, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
How about when you can't close the curtain all the way and super bright light is coming in the bottom of the curtains or between them because they won't overlap properly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: June 16, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »
looks like the swa contingent took this debate hands down

new topic- hotel pillows, love 'em or leave 'em?

When there is a pillow menu I order 2 of each

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: June 16, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
How about when you can't close the curtain all the way and super bright light is coming in the bottom of the curtains or between them because they won't overlap properly.
Pant slips on hangers

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9889 on: June 16, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
Pillows. They suck. When I drive, I bring my own. Fits perfectly in the crook of my garment bag. Don't sleep so well when I fly.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9890 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »
Pant slips on hangers
What?

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #9891 on: June 16, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »
clips

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: June 16, 2017, 06:05:19 PM »
I hate hotel pillows and sheets and beds but I can't sleep without them

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: June 16, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Agree with Clams, SWA is an efficient delight.  However, I am completing a long ass flight home right now in first class with AA and, it's nice to have that option.  I don't fly first frequently, but it's a nice treat.

Still, I will take SWA all day tho.  Plus, I like the Caribbean, and SWA points get me there.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: June 16, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
I go with AA because I live in Dallas and I love Admiral's clubs. I may reconsider when I get to Tampa but probably won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »
United. Best point program if you want to fly international because star alliance. I like their soft product despite the crap press lately. I also like flying through o'hare though.

American. Points more garbagey. Great for work because you can upgrade almost any flight to 1st on points if you want. Second best point program for international travel. Have improved their domestic 1st product shitloads the last couple years.

Delta. Best for auto upgrades for biz travellers. If you live in a city that has Delta presence and fly a lot for work this is what you want to fly because you will be upgraded most frequently. crappy points tho. Their top tier product is more accessible but also not as nice. Korean air partnership is elite tho.

Southwest. best family carrier. fly your entire 35 kids and you get to board ahead of most people. checked bags. all that crap. we fly this a lot for family travel with my giant family of kids.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: June 16, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »
Pant slips on hangers
What?

clips

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: June 17, 2017, 03:33:07 AM »
Delta's dogshit strombolis they keep trying to force me to eat are enough to push them to the bottom of any list

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9898 on: June 17, 2017, 04:47:12 AM »
Pant slips on hangers
What?

clips
Makes sense now. Good idea. :)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: June 19, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
What driveable from KC city should I go to for a long weekend?

Driveable is under 8 hours for the purpose of this adventure. St Louis has the early lead.