Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356646 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #8625 on: September 08, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
Mrs Gooch, how did you like the food at Barcelo? I wasn't wowed, but found it fine.

Same. Some things were really good but you never really knew which ones they were going to be until you tried them. Good thing it was all you can eat.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: September 08, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: September 08, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
BTW for those interested in Barcelo

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/forum/index.php

There is a thread there talking about getting put in a different section than you reserved. That happened to us but we got put in a higher cost section than we reserved. Now I think they have upgraded some areas and consider them all equal. And the last post about it was in 2015 so maybe some the renovations are done and they have fixed this issue.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: September 08, 2016, 11:36:33 AM »

There is a thread there talking about getting put in a different section than you reserved. That happened to us but we got put in a higher cost section than we reserved. Now I think they have upgraded some areas and consider them all equal. And the last post about it was in 2015 so maybe some the renovations are done and they have fixed this issue.

it's based on hotel occupancy. they will shut down entire sections of the resort when in low season. that's the best time to go. feels like you have the place to yourself. the beach/caribe and colonial/tropical are all considered the same, with the palace being the upgrade. we stayed in the renovated beach section not long ago and it's much nicer.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: September 08, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »

it's based on hotel occupancy. they will shut down entire sections of the resort when in low season. that's the best time to go. feels like you have the place to yourself. the beach/caribe and colonial/tropical are all considered the same, with the palace being the upgrade. we stayed in the renovated beach section not long ago and it's much nicer.

Right, but there was a person complaining because he got put in Caribe when he booked Tropical and there were people staying in Tropical (it was not shut down). Other people who had booked Colonial were put in Tropical. He went on to say that the staffing/selection at Tropical was much better and so his group ended up walking over to Tropical everyday.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: September 08, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
I have a friend getting married in Florissant CO, I don't even know where the hell that is

i bet it's nicer than Florissant, MO*

*former home of k-state stud o-lineman barrett brooks

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: September 08, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »

you should have seen it after the murders, it was all people talked about for weeks.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: September 08, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
Also, Zika is so overrated. If you get it, it only affects a potential pregnancy up for a year or 2. Meanwhile, there's 60 year olds getting pregnant by the day.  :Ugh:

Story out today that says it may effect the brain of adults long after pregnancy danger has passed. 

We don't know about it all yet.

Also, I heard a podcast a couple weeks ago, where they are saying some of the birth defects they are seeing in Brazil and other south american countries may actually be due to a pesticide being used down there now.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: September 08, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »
I read some headline a while back where someone was like "I got Zika and had a normal kid so don't worry about Zika"

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: September 08, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »
Right, but there was a person complaining because he got put in Caribe when he booked Tropical and there were people staying in Tropical (it was not shut down). Other people who had booked Colonial were put in Tropical. He went on to say that the staffing/selection at Tropical was much better and so his group ended up walking over to Tropical everyday.

i've stayed at all of them, including the palace, and haven't noticed a difference in service or selection. maybe i'm just easy to please.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: September 08, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
Also, Zika is so overrated. If you get it, it only affects a potential pregnancy up for a year or 2. Meanwhile, there's 60 year olds getting pregnant by the day.  :Ugh:

Story out today that says it may effect the brain of adults long after pregnancy danger has passed. 

We don't know about it all yet.

Also, I heard a podcast a couple weeks ago, where they are saying some of the birth defects they are seeing in Brazil and other south american countries may actually be due to a pesticide being used down there now.
I'm pretty sure I got it in the DR. I got my ass beat by mosquito's.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: September 08, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »

i've stayed at all of them, including the palace, and haven't noticed a difference in service or selection. maybe i'm just easy to please.

I see they've implemented some kind of Premium add on since we stayed there.   I'm not a fan of that nickle and dime stuff.   

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
I have a friend getting married in Florissant CO, I don't even know where the hell that is

i bet it's nicer than Florissant, MO*

*former home of k-state stud o-lineman barrett brooks

there's a no longer active poster on this blogsite from there too!

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8640 on: September 08, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »

I see they've implemented some kind of Premium add on since we stayed there.   I'm not a fan of that nickle and dime stuff.   

are you referring to the "club premium" upgrade?  it's not necessary. got it once as a free bonus on our anniversary, but didn't really make a difference.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: September 08, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »

are you referring to the "club premium" upgrade?  it's not necessary. got it once as a free bonus on our anniversary, but didn't really make a difference.

What is it exactly?

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

What is it exactly?

top shelf booze, access to the premium lounge (which i used once) and free wifi (connection sucked). i wouldn't pay for it. the booze doesn't matter to me, the only advantage of the lounge was quick check in, and i imagine the resort will offer free wifi to everyone before too long.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: September 08, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Thinking about taking a quick trip to an all inclusive resort over the winter. Want to go somewhere warm, other than that I don't really care where it is. Neither Mrs KCFD nor I have done an all inclusive before. Need some recommendos
The excellence properties are pretty good. Cancun, Rivera Maya and the Dominican.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: September 08, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »
Yeah, we did excellence. I felt like a movie star with all the amenities and the way they treat you. Worth the extra hundreds of dollars. We're looking at PR next spring.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: September 08, 2016, 04:29:46 PM »

I really love that area in Colorado!  Go to Elevenmile Canyon State Park, and the Florissant Fossil Beds if you have time.  My uncle lives outside of Guffey.
:adios:

The Big Train

« Reply #8646 on: September 08, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
This is bomb a.f. and it is now my first ever Kickstarter investment.
http://www.facecradle.me

I IRL LOL'd when I clicked that link and saw those pictures.

Functionality 7/7
Outside perception 2/7
Comfort 7/7

So what I am saying is I would buy one but LOL they look rough ridin' hilarious

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: September 08, 2016, 10:22:26 PM »
i'm not confident enough to pull that off
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: September 08, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »
Mode 4 is real AF

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: September 08, 2016, 10:30:07 PM »
Reminds me of the skymall (RIP) ad with that mustache man sleeping on a blowup pillow thing that sat on the tray table

Edit...