Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357250 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #5450 on: November 12, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
You know what's great about flying sw during the week?  If you're heading east to a mid-sized city from the west coast at the end of the day the flights are always only 60-70% full.  Makes the pick your own seat thing great.  Walk on 3 minutes before the door shuts and still have no one sitting next to you.
I can't remember the last SW flight I was on out of or headed to KC that wasn't completely full.  If can't get exit row I prefer to board mid to late A group and find the most tolerable middle seat towards the front instead of rolling the dice and ending up condensed like WC08.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: November 12, 2014, 06:17:11 PM »
Just mailed ten of these to mocat. Have another ten that will expire 12/31/14 if anyone will be flying Delta.

the last time i used one of these, i had 2 of them out where the flight attendant could see them. i ordered a drink and she for some reason was like "you can keep the coupon" so i was like sweet. next time she comes by i order another and she's like "OK this time i'm going to need that coupon" and likewise for the 3rd.

by my count you just sent me 15 free drinks!  :excited:

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
anyone visited costa rica? might book a last minute vacay with the mrs. over christmas. would appreciate info on where to stay/what to do/how not to get a disease, etc.

The Big Train

« Reply #5453 on: November 12, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
ive been to puerto rico if that helps

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:48 AM »
My colleague went to Costa Rica last winter and got sick and said he's never leaving the country again.  So good luck!

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: November 13, 2014, 06:10:36 AM »
Costa Rica is where girls studied abroad that couldn't afford to go to Europe

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #5456 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:44 AM »
Isn't that also where rich fat guys go for "all inclusive" vacations? Coincidence? I think not.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: November 13, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »
You know what's great about flying sw during the week?  If you're heading east to a mid-sized city from the west coast at the end of the day the flights are always only 60-70% full.  Makes the pick your own seat thing great.  Walk on 3 minutes before the door shuts and still have no one sitting next to you.
I can't remember the last SW flight I was on out of or headed to KC that wasn't completely full.  If can't get exit row I prefer to board mid to late A group and find the most tolerable middle seat towards the front instead of rolling the dice and ending up condensed like WC08.
You must be fairly small
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: November 13, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »

If you know you're flying coach and won't fly enough for status/upgrades, everything about southwest is better than the legacy carriers. Choosing your seat is a blessing*.

Names things that are better. I'm having a hard time thinking of any. Also I don't understand the choosing seat is a blessing thing.

best flight change policy
Entertainment(free)/wifi on every flight and it always works (at last I've had better luck than United)
Best domestic flight options (unless you're going to Wyoming or something)
no rj's
if you see a fat smelly person in a seat, you can walk past them and find another (again, this assumes you aren't a dumbass)
no baggage fees
free snacks

again, their biggest knock is status and upgrades. Getting a10 or better is a pretty worthless perk

Good list I think. Comparing exclusively coach products anyway. I wish they had additional stretch seating on top of the exit and bulkhead rows. I think the biggest knocks are no first or business class product, no lounges, no alliance participation, and no real international redemption option. That's not their market though.

of course it's a good list, idiot

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
son of a bitch, he burned me down

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5460 on: November 13, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »
The Hyatt doesn't have much of a "party scene" but other than that it's great. Beach is perfect, pool is perfect, food is good. Mostly couples, kids aren't allowed. I haven't left and haven't wanted to. Yes it's lazy, that's the point.

OK, that was a lovely vacation - great way to spend Hyatt points with zero planning. I mean it was pretty much non-stop boozing/sleeping on the beach or by the pool, and the weather and water is just silly there. Big resort, nothing was crowded except some of the sit-down restaurants at night (which were mostly just OK). For lunch every day we'd eat seafood at the outdoor restaurant overlooking the beach (best food and it was just great to be there).

Biggest knock is it pretty much shuts down at 9 or 10pm and it would have been nice to have a bar with a DJamer or something without having to leave. One night they had a beach party with a DJamer which was kind of the forced fun people don't like but it was the only time we did anything other than sit in the sun so it was OK. Never did any other activity or really talked to anyone else because we didn't want to. Judging from the hotel strip on the way there I had no desire at all to interact with any of the other dumbasses visiting cancun. Maybe it gets better in the city or wherever but no thanks.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the legions of adorable little Japanese couples with their ridiculous fashion (like, tons of matching swimsuits) and constant taking photos of themselves giving the peace sign on the beach.

Basically, you would hate it

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: November 13, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »
The Hyatt doesn't have much of a "party scene" but other than that it's great. Beach is perfect, pool is perfect, food is good. Mostly couples, kids aren't allowed. I haven't left and haven't wanted to. Yes it's lazy, that's the point.

OK, that was a lovely vacation - great way to spend Hyatt points with zero planning. I mean it was pretty much non-stop boozing/sleeping on the beach or by the pool, and the weather and water is just silly there. Big resort, nothing was crowded except some of the sit-down restaurants at night (which were mostly just OK). For lunch every day we'd eat seafood at the outdoor restaurant overlooking the beach (best food and it was just great to be there).

Biggest knock is it pretty much shuts down at 9 or 10pm and it would have been nice to have a bar with a DJamer or something without having to leave. One night they had a beach party with a DJamer which was kind of the forced fun people don't like but it was the only time we did anything other than sit in the sun so it was OK. Never did any other activity or really talked to anyone else because we didn't want to. Judging from the hotel strip on the way there I had no desire at all to interact with any of the other dumbasses visiting cancun. Maybe it gets better in the city or wherever but no thanks.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the legions of adorable little Japanese couples with their ridiculous fashion (like, tons of matching swimsuits) and constant taking photos of themselves giving the peace sign on the beach.

Basically, you would hate it

i had no idea micat liked to party so much

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: November 17, 2014, 11:24:35 PM »
micat, how bad does sf suck in january?  reply asap.  thx.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: November 18, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »

You'd hate it

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: November 18, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »

You'd hate it

sf in january? 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: November 18, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

You'd hate it

your reply?

edge of our seats over here, come on micat- answer (or don't if we would hate it?)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: November 18, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
Omaha is getting daily Allegient service to Tampa Bay. We've never had Allegient service before. Lincoln did for awhile and then they moved out to Grand Island. Weird route as well.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: November 18, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Omaha is getting daily Allegient service to Tampa Bay. We've never had Allegient service before. Lincoln did for awhile and then they moved out to Grand Island. Weird route as well.

allegiant is so weird

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »

You'd hate it

your reply?

edge of our seats over here, come on micat- answer (or don't if we would hate it?)

His reply doesn't make any sense.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: November 18, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
well, it's often rainy in January, but there's a drought, so maybe it won't rain much. Are you visiting? I don't know what you want to know. You're so crazy, kim carnes.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
well, it's often rainy in January, but there's a drought, so maybe it won't rain much. Are you visiting? I don't know what you want to know. You're so crazy, kim carnes.

welp, really wish you hadn't replied.  any future travel plans to the sf area in january are going to be subjected to intense focus prior to booking.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
 I'm gonna check out the Bloodfart contingent down in Guetemala next month. My lil sis lives there with her husband and new baby.  Will be flying United ICT-IAH-GUA on Dec. 2.  This is a solo mission and I'm kinda terrified about what could happen without Mrs. Bf there to keep me in check.  I hope I can find my way back to Kansas.   

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: November 18, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
<--- Guatemala expert

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
/\
 |
 |
 |
Guatemala expert

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:15 AM »
<--- Guatemala expert

What's the heavy metal sitch down there, Like good or bad?