Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1354961 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #5500 on: November 19, 2014, 06:26:32 AM »
a canadian friend of mine told me that alaska air has complimentary booze  :surprised:

Not true, at least usually.

Guys, I'm here to answer all your Alaska questions. Have been all over that state. Am married to an Alaskan. Where are the $600 flights to? Because it makes a big difference.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:37:40 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: November 19, 2014, 06:29:56 AM »
BTW if you want to fish you can basically go anywhere. SE Alaska is the salmon capital of the world and has tons of charter trips too that will allow you to catch buttloadz of different things like salmon, halibut, etc. But the most gorge place SB has been is probably the Kenai Peninsula. Fly to Anchorage, rent a car, go to Cooper Landing. Wow. Oh, and stay in the Princess Lodge because it's like $100/night and each lodge has a fireplace, adorable.

Friends of ours got married at Alyeska on top of a mountain. I mean...wut. It was either here or Sabetha that they were deciding between.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:24:35 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: November 19, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
watched an ep of the mccarthy show and now I just have to know more about rick daris's wife's brother. what was he running from?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: November 19, 2014, 09:24:44 AM »
Who has been to Alaska? What are fun things to do there? I like the outdoors and eating good food so ideas in those categories would be helpful.

anchorage is great. there are tons of things to do outdoorsy. just get online and find something touristy, like a helicopter tour that takes you out to a glacier or something like that. or, just rent a car and drive. drive drive drive. it's ridiculously beautiful, particularly in the summer.

food -
moose's tooth pub and pizza. they have a brewery and it is good. also their pizza is amazing and widely accepted as the best in anchorage.
glacier brewhouse. also very good. a little fancier.
humpy's - good bar food and bar, popular spot
midnight sun brewing co - it's in a warehouse, great beer, great food. be careful as they're only allowed to serve you three beers. i managed to get to five before anyone said anything.
@ERiI @lib^7 let's rough ridin' do this.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: November 19, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
Who has been to Alaska? What are fun things to do there? I like the outdoors and eating good food so ideas in those categories would be helpful.

anchorage is great. there are tons of things to do outdoorsy. just get online and find something touristy, like a helicopter tour that takes you out to a glacier or something like that. or, just rent a car and drive. drive drive drive. it's ridiculously beautiful, particularly in the summer.

food -
moose's tooth pub and pizza. they have a brewery and it is good. also their pizza is amazing and widely accepted as the best in anchorage.
glacier brewhouse. also very good. a little fancier.
humpy's - good bar food and bar, popular spot
midnight sun brewing co - it's in a warehouse, great beer, great food. be careful as they're only allowed to serve you three beers. i managed to get to five before anyone said anything.
@ERiI @lib^7 let's rough ridin' do this.

if you're in anchorage, go to the bubbly mermaid

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: November 19, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
If you are in Anchorage you should probably only go there for like a day or two and then spend the rest of the time doing other stuff, like taking SkinBen's elite recommendations.

Guys. The fireweed in the summer on the drive from Girdwood to Cooper Landing? You have no idea.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: November 19, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
northern lights season is late august to late april.....
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: November 19, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
Hey btw, Fairbanks is only okay. If you're going to the interior, you can probably do better. DON'T tell my cousin-in-law I said that.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Then again, it's hard to argue with .

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:08 PM »
Has anyone been to Banff, Canada? I saw this hotel once on TV or something. It's pretty rad. I'd like to visit someday.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: November 19, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
Has anyone been to Banff, Canada? I saw this hotel once on TV or something. It's pretty rad. I'd like to visit someday.

I haven't but I know it's like right above Glacier National Forest in Montana, which I visited and detailed exclusively in the Vision Quest thread. Basically I think it's a continuation of the same amazing forest. Would love to BANFF. Would love to.

Pretty sure Porky Morgan went on his honeymoon there and broke his back skiing.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: November 19, 2014, 11:52:04 PM »
my wife went as a kid and says it's amazing. def on our list.
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: November 19, 2014, 11:58:27 PM »
Here's a bunch of the Montana pictures and junk from the vq thread for those that are curious.
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg864455#msg864455

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #5513 on: November 20, 2014, 04:21:49 AM »
Here's a bunch of the Montana pictures and junk from the vq thread for those that are curious.
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg864455#msg864455
Pretty cool trip!

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: November 20, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »

I knew a Canadian exchange student at KSU that worked there during the summer in high school. I was very jelly. That lake is on my bucket list.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: November 20, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
hope you idiots love mosquitoes

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:50 AM »
Alaska is terrible. Good luck finding a Starbucks.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: November 20, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
Going to get the Hep A and B shots today, and started taking the malaria pills too.   :flush:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: November 20, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
Basically anywhere near glacier national park will have lakes similar to that (without the hotel). I worked in that area for a summer, you can basically pull off the road find a trail and boom, picturesque lake with a mountain backdrop, it's pretty sweet
I'm purple down

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
Flying out to Germany this afternoon!  :excited:

See you rough riders in December!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5520 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
germany,  huh?  check out octoberfest while you're over there, the babes outfits are  :tongue:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

Pretty piss poor timing. You're going to miss the Cats' last non-conference game tonight.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: November 20, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »

Pretty piss poor timing. You're going to miss the Cats' last non-conference game tonight.

Tickets were purchased before the schedule was even out. Also, :dubious: Will watch as much as possible during my layover in Charlotte.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: November 20, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
what part of DE, bruder?

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: November 20, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
what part of DE, bruder?

Kolweiller. Gf's sister livespecially there. Will also hit Bavaria and Switzerland for sure. Who knows what else is planned for us.

Ich bin sehr aufgeregt!