Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357546 times)

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #4600 on: July 03, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »
Heading to Hawaii for 10 days in exactly one month. Splitting time between Kauai and Maui. Staying at the Andaz at Wailea on Maui and splitting time at the Grand Hyatt and St. Regis on Kauai. Only thing I definitively have scheduled right now is a helo tour of Kauai. Likely will do bike down the volcano on Maui.

Open to any other thoughts or suggestions. Is snorkeling at Molokai worth it? If doing a helo tour on Kauai would a boat tour of Na Pali still be worthwhile? Food suggestions also welcomed.

Fire away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
an all-inclusive seems perfect if you don't want to do anything but also think you're above going to lake of the Ozarks

JFC, I guess I didn't mention that these trip ideas are really for my knocked up Canadian friend... :facepalm:

more of a anniversary/last opportunity (for a few years) to take a parents only trip before kid #2 comes. Neither are big drinkers (and one can't), and both are typically pretty adventurous, however with one being 5 mo preg, super adventurous options are limited.  They would never normally do a all-inclusive gig, because that is just not appealing to them. 

Have passports and money, will travel.  They could do, and probably will someday w/kids, a trip to LoOz.

When we were in St. Lucia (for a cruise stop) we went out on a boat tour thing where this guy just took us around to see different sights around the island, we stopped at a place for lunch, and also went snorkeling. It was a private company with just the boat captain and another guy and only our group; so we basically could do whatever we wanted but they also had suggestions and some interesting info about different locations.

So we weren't in St. Lucia for long but it was really nice and is a place we might go back to stay.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
Heading to Hawaii for 10 days in exactly one month. Splitting time between Kauai and Maui. Staying at the Andaz at Wailea on Maui and splitting time at the Grand Hyatt and St. Regis on Kauai. Only thing I definitively have scheduled right now is a helo tour of Kauai. Likely will do bike down the volcano on Maui.

Open to any other thoughts or suggestions. Is snorkeling at Molokai worth it? If doing a helo tour on Kauai would a boat tour of Na Pali still be worthwhile? Food suggestions also welcomed.

Fire away...

You should just snork the whole time.  maybe get some water proof food so you don't have to go to any restaurants but can eat while you snork.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: July 03, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

Fire away...

I think the boat tour of Na Pali is more worth your time than a snorkel on molokai. there is a ton of incredible snorkeling that you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars to boat out to and I'd imagine the views of Na Pali and the relaxation, view, and booze provided by a boat tour of na pali is a completely different experience than the helo tour would provide. I cannot rec. the sunset dinner tour enough on this boat.

http://www.napali.com/tours/ss/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: July 03, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »

Fire away...

Merrimans Kauai and Maui but especially Maui. Get the first reservation available at the Maui location and you can get a lanai table and watch the sunset. Kauai location also great but less of a view. Monkeypod on Maui (also a Peter Merriman place) for craft beer and more casual food. it's right around the corner from the Andaz.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: July 03, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »

Fire away...

I've snorkeled Molokai and it was fun, although I more enjoyed the sail to/from Molokai.  On the way back we stopped in some cove/calm water for lunch.  That was really fun.  We also went to the top of Mt Haleakala and it was kinda cold and miserable.  Also did some deep sea fishing and almost everyone puked and we didn't catch anything.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: July 03, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
NORTH SIDE KAUAI:

Hike the Kalalau trail at least until the beach. I've probably told you all of this stuff already but I'm going to do it again. The beach at the head of the hike is great snorkeling if you can get around the outside of the coral. when the surf is up you can't get out there but if it's calm it's great. Tunnels beach, also north side, is between the St. Regis and the Kalalau and is also great snorkeling.

SOUTH SIDE KAUAI:

Boat tour mentioned above. Hike around Shipwreck in the morning up the side of the golf course and you'll end up at a pretty cool hidden beach by a horse ranch thing. Farmers market on Wednesdays here:

http://kukuiula.com/community/the-shops-at-kukuiula/

Also a great grocery store/restaraunt to get breakfast at and get stuff for a lunch while you hike

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:21 AM »
I can't imagine going to Hawaii if I could afford to go to the Ozarks. Seems dumb.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: July 03, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
I can't imagine going to Hawaii if I could afford to go to the Ozarks. Seems dumb.

wrong account

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: July 03, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
an all-inclusive seems perfect if you don't want to do anything but also think you're above going to lake of the Ozarks

JFC, I guess I didn't mention that these trip ideas are really for my knocked up Canadian friend... :facepalm:

more of a anniversary/last opportunity (for a few years) to take a parents only trip before kid #2 comes. Neither are big drinkers (and one can't), and both are typically pretty adventurous, however with one being 5 mo preg, super adventurous options are limited.  They would never normally do a all-inclusive gig, because that is just not appealing to them. 

I still don't understand what you want to do other than maybe snorkel.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: July 03, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
I only go to the Caribbean to fish

pfffft

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: July 03, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

yeah, I don't think the carribean or mexico are what you're looking for slu.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: July 03, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: July 03, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »

what am i looking for?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: July 03, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
I think you should sit around the house but tell all your friends you dropped some cash on a Caribbean vacation.

That's what it sounds like you're looking for to me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: July 03, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »

what am i looking for?

somewhere with lots of historical stuff. relaxing. good food. great walking city. you're from NY so no NYC. would normally suggest Savannah but may be too hot for a 5 month preg lady. Mountain resort? would you still enjoy hiking? Drive up the coast of New England from Boston to Maine? Do the same but in the Pacific NW?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: July 03, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
Montreal? Feel like you're in Paris without all the Paris stuff and surrounded by Canucks instead of French people?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
Dublin!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
Is Europe on the table? train trip from Paris to Salzburg or Vienna stopping along the way a couple times. relaxing weeklong trip.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: July 03, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »
I think you should sit around the house but tell all your friends you dropped some cash on a Caribbean vacation.

That's what it sounds like you're looking for to me.

Sweet recomendo, TIA!

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4620 on: July 03, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
splitting time at the Grand Hyatt and St. Regis on Kauai.

I'm doing the same hotel combo in November :D

Steve Daves post have me very excited :D
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: July 03, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Guys if you watch The Descendants you can see the St. Regis Kauai in the background of the beach scenes where Clooney is jogging. :love:

Oh and fwiw when I was in Kauai in April we stayed at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas and they were rough ridin' sweet. Rooms were incredibly enormous. I did yoga twice. Beach access is not great but everything else is. Maria might be the best concierge on the planet. :surprised:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: July 07, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
I survived.  :thumbsup:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-fourth-of-july-toll-82-shot-14-of-them-fatally-in-chicago-20140707,0,5439185.story

Also, I walked by the Ralph Lauren restaurant outdoor seating area on my way to the Contemporary Art Museum and determined that it must be the douchiest place I've ever seen in my life.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: July 07, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
Oakland illegal fireworks were amazing as always. last year a neighbor had a bullet come through their roof, though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: July 07, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
AND I'VE BEEN MUGGED!