Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356966 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #4400 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
I hate taking photos in places where people might notice me taking photos if it isn't a typical photo site...thus the quality

laguardia

Winner!

I remember being shocked at how shitty it was
emaw

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: June 04, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
I hate taking photos in places where people might notice me taking photos if it isn't a typical photo site...thus the quality

laguardia

Winner!

I remember being shocked at how shitty it was

No kidding...
:adios:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: June 04, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
concourses are just incredibly small, way overcrowded, not enough eateries, etc.  really a horrible gateway to such a fun city.  I have not flown into JFK but I assume it's much better.
emaw

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: June 04, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »
concourses are just incredibly small, way overcrowded, not enough eateries, etc.  really a horrible gateway to such a fun city.  I have not flown into JFK but I assume it's much better.

lol

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »

Will be working in Europe for a couple weeks and spending the weekend in between in Amsterdam. Any recommendo's on where to watch the World Cup while I'm there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europe is a big place.

Yeah. I'm asking about Amsterdam specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call your pal bubbs and we'll talk.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: June 04, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
i flew into jfk on monday, what god damn zoo, we deplaned in the middle of the tarmac (ain't no gates).  then on tuesday, there were 40 rough ridin' jets waiting in line to takeoff.  40 rough ridin' jets u guys.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »

:sdeek: I was here tonight

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: June 04, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
i flew into jfk on monday, what god damn zoo, we deplaned in the middle of the tarmac (ain't no gates).  then on tuesday, there were 40 rough ridin' jets waiting in line to takeoff.  40 rough ridin' jets u guys.
doubt it

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: June 04, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »

:sdeek: I was here tonight

A's! :excited:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: June 04, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »

Guesses?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »
Cleveland

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: June 05, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
Topeka

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: June 05, 2014, 08:20:08 PM »

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: June 05, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »

Been here a long freaking time to discover all these areas.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »
Ok now that I'm slap happy tired and pretty buzzed from a multi airport binge, here's how unlucky I've been today. Started my morning slightly hungover from the Yankees game(fanning brag) getting up a tad early to pack my bags before going into the office. Go down to breakfast in the hotel and bring it back up to my room. Key doesn't work. Go down and eat in the regular area and get a replacement. It doesn't work. Shamefully walk downstairs and ask for help like a hungover idiot. Manager can't get it with his master key. Brings maintenance guy and even the fire department key doesn't work. After a 45 min wait they have finally drilled a 6 inch hole in my door and opened it up finally so I could walk in rain to the office. Keeping my cool the whole time thinking this good karma is going to help me. Get to airport very easily on Uber :cool: and flights slightly delayed. Hop on with just a 25 min delay with no worries. Sit on runway for 45 min before we take off. Land in STL and they didn't hold my flight home. Literally landed at 3:35 and flight was at 3:40. 15 min would've saved my day. Sat in airport all day. Just now sitting on my delayed replacement flight that was supposed to take off at 9:20 and we are waiting on people connecting. eff

TL:DNR - BR has had a super shitty day

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: June 05, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: June 05, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
Ok now that I'm slap happy tired and pretty buzzed from a multi airport binge, here's how unlucky I've been today. Started my morning slightly hungover from the Yankees game(fanning brag) getting up a tad early to pack my bags before going into the office. Go down to breakfast in the hotel and bring it back up to my room. Key doesn't work. Go down and eat in the regular area and get a replacement. It doesn't work. Shamefully walk downstairs and ask for help like a hungover idiot. Manager can't get it with his master key. Brings maintenance guy and even the fire department key doesn't work. After a 45 min wait they have finally drilled a 6 inch hole in my door and opened it up finally so I could walk in rain to the office. Keeping my cool the whole time thinking this good karma is going to help me. Get to airport very easily on Uber :cool: and flights slightly delayed. Hop on with just a 25 min delay with no worries. Sit on runway for 45 min before we take off. Land in STL and they didn't hold my flight home. Literally landed at 3:35 and flight was at 3:40. 15 min would've saved my day. Sat in airport all day. Just now sitting on my delayed replacement flight that was supposed to take off at 9:20 and we are waiting on people connecting. eff

TL:DNR - BR has had a super shitty day

...but hey, great Uber experience!!! :dunno:

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: June 06, 2014, 03:28:54 AM »
portland recommendos?

Ultimate Portland (v0.1)

Do:
-Visit the Columbia River Gorge.  ~30 miles east of PDX: Multnomah Falls, Wahkeena Falls, and Oneonta Gorge (wade).
-Take windsurfing lesson at Hood River (1 hr east of PDX) or The Dalles. Effing windy there, broseph!
-Fish for salmon/sturgeon on the Columbia or go crabbing on the coast (Newport/Garibaldi). Or so I hear.
-Walk along Cannon Beach 75 mins W. Of PDX (big rocks just off the coast). Bring your camera. Just don't swim (too cold).
-Hike the coast range.  Saddle Mountain (great 2-3 hr hike) about 10 miles east of the coast (near Cannon Beach).
-Hike in the city: Leif Erikson trail in Forest Park - tame but foresty hike in city limits (just west of downtown in Forest Park).
-Walk around Nob Hill (NW PDX).  Great restaurants, Victorian houses, people watching. Near soccer stadium. Gelato district. Sadly, high yuppie coefficient (un-Portland).
-Go to a Timbers match. Have never been, but it sounds like best regularly scheduled soccer experience you can get in US.
-Red wine: Surprisingly pretty much world-class in Willamette Valley (pinot noir is the best).  Personal fave: Montinore Estate south of Forest Grove.
-Sake: Organic sake brewery Sake One / Momokawa is just south of Forest Grove (combine w/ winery trip).  Was once the only USDA-certified organic sake brewery in US. Legit.
-Great restaurants in wine country (McMinnville, 45 mins S): La Rambla (tapas) is fantastic - recommended.  Haven't been to these, but Nick's Italian Cafe, Bistro Maison, and...if you're an adventurous foodie (think offal)...Thistle are all supposed to be great too.
-Get espresso at a rural gas station...because this is Oregon and you effing CAN get decent espresso at rural gas stations.
-Visit Mt. Hood or St. Helen's.  One has a peak, a sweet WPA-era lodge, and year-round skiing.  The other doesn't. Both mountains. Do whatcha WANNA.
-International rose test garden (Washington Park, just next to downtown/Forest Park) in June/July. Japanese garden while you're at it because you're EMAW and you appreciate that crap.
-Powell's bookstore. Huge.

Do (food):
-Restaurants in general: Yelp will guide you. Main risk is going to wildly popular place.
-Beer: GMAFB.  Where CAN'T you drink great beer in Portland?
-Elite foodie experience: Natural Selection in NE.  Vegetarian/vegan food. Open kitchen. Stylish place, but dress as you please (you're EMAW, so it's not like you'd wear shorts or a basketball jersey or something). Prepare to enjoy the crap out of it - even if you can't picture yourself enjoying vegetarian food. Don't go if unwilling to pay $40-60 per person for prix fixe menu or if you are the type of person who complains about being hungry after not eating 1800 calories. Would not go alone (very awkward; tight tables).
-Indian food (actually solid): Tao of Tea on Hawthorne (cheap but awesome street food and tea (obviously) in a Portlandy environment); Chennai Masala in Hillsboro for great south Indian (dosas, idlii, etc.); Swagat in Hillsboro for epic Hyderabadi chicken/goat/lamb biriyani. If you are white and do yoga and like being in a place that feels really "Indian" (and rubbing shoulders with other white people who do yoga), you would probably love Bollywood Cafe on Alberta. Then again, you would probably love Portland in general.
-Ice cream: Salt & Straw.  Way too popular (20-min wait), but I'll be damned if their ice cream isn't worth the wait.
-Korean food: hole-in-the-wall mom and pop noodle shop Du Kuh Bee in Beaverton if you're not Korean (noodles, bulgogi); Nakwon next door if you are.
-Bakery: Petit Provence on Thurman. Amazing. Head guy/proprietor won the best-baker-in-France award or something. Pastries and coffee or GTFO.
-Authentic Polish food: Grandpa's cafe. Not only is the food great, but they hilariously require all patrons to be members of the Polish Library Building Association.  Fortunately you can buy a 1-day membership for just $1. Not making this up.
-Pizza: Ken's Artisan (SE)
-Vegasy/occasional celebs/12th-floor rooftop happy hour/pan-asian: Departure. Saw Minnesota Timberwolf Mike Beasley there once.
-Steak/classy bar/30th-floor view: Portland City Grill

Don't:
-...go to ridiculously popular restaurants that are as much social phenomena as great restaurants (Screen Door, Pok Pok, Broder, etc.).  Unless it's worth it to you to tell people that you went to PDX hot spots, no idea why you'd wait in line for 2 hours for brunch (PDX loves brunch), fried chicken, or Thai street food. You can't throw a rock without hitting an affordable yet delicioso restaurant here. Yelp.
-...wait in line at Voodoo Donuts...unless you like to chill with dumb/smelly locals and boatloads of lemming tourists to pay homage to a wildly/inexplicably successful filthy/gross donut shop that sells average donuts.  If you are a sociologist/psychologist, however, it's a must-see.  Potential PhD dissertation material.
-...go to Stumptown coffee.  Their coffee is bitter, isn't it?  There are better coffeehouse experiences to be had (almost anywhere in this espresso wonderland). Spartan environs. Great hipster-watching location, though (then again, so is most of Portland). Overrated since somehow became darling of NYC coffee scene a few years ago.
-...eat barbecue. This is probably obvious, but just don't. Not Portland's strength.
-...expect great food at a McMenamin's brewpub.  McMenamin's (many locations - best are Cornelis Pass Roadhouse in Hillsboro and Grand Lodge (with disc golf!) In Forest Grove) is all about beer or whiskey and sunshine (and maybe music).  Having said that, the cajun tots are excellent.
-...go on an official walking tour.  If you want to hear people make crap up or talk about how amazingly unique and wonderful their city is, talk to the homeless people or shoppers, respectively, at the Portland Saturday market FOR FREE.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:56:31 AM by TheProdigiousTalent »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: June 06, 2014, 06:05:52 AM »
@Wacky:  It would seem the Ms.wacky is really shitty at surprises. Like, completely clueless!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: June 06, 2014, 06:23:44 AM »
@Wacky:  It would seem the Ms.wacky is really shitty at surprises. Like, completely clueless!
:lol:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: June 06, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile