Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356449 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #4025 on: May 06, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
how many months did it take you to get to italy, asava?

1 1/2 years to build the boat, and 3 months to cross the Atlantic.

what is their motive for telling you your train has left?

this usually happens in the late day. the people who do this are associated with hotels or vacation rentals, and will essentially tell you that you are in a situation where you are stuck in Rome for the night, and that they are so very sorry this happened, but that they know a good place to stay for a good deal... blah blah blah you just paid three times what you should have to stay at some crap hotel on the outskirts of town. if you are stuck in this situation there are a few hostels around the train station that are way cheaper and have better locations.

and rich westerners pay to torture and murder you??!?!?  :sdeek:

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: May 06, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
how many months did it take you to get to italy, asava?

1 1/2 years to build the boat, and 3 months to cross the Atlantic.

what is their motive for telling you your train has left?

this usually happens in the late day. the people who do this are associated with hotels or vacation rentals, and will essentially tell you that you are in a situation where you are stuck in Rome for the night, and that they are so very sorry this happened, but that they know a good place to stay for a good deal... blah blah blah you just paid three times what you should have to stay at some crap hotel on the outskirts of town. if you are stuck in this situation there are a few hostels around the train station that are way cheaper and have better locations.

and rich westerners pay to torture and murder you??!?!?  :sdeek:

never fell for this grift myself, but i'm 100% sure that is what happens.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: May 06, 2014, 06:34:31 PM »
Florence is pretty amazing. I liked Rome better but almost everybody else in my traveling party preferred Florence. Agree on trains. Only way to get through Italy.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: May 06, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »
If you don't think you'll ever get back, the 3 cities in 3 countries on 1 trip is the way to go. 

However, if you think you'll get back to Europe a few more times in the next couple decades I'd suggest you "plan out" 4 trips at once with what countries/regions you'd like to go to.  That way you can do just 1 or 2 countries at a time.  That's what we've done.  We went to Turkey 4 years ago and Germany/Salzburg last summer.  Both were great.  We got to fully experience the country/culture while doing major city/small city/major city/small city in different regions of the country.  Also, you don't have to re-adjust to a new country/culture every 3-4 days and don't feel rushed.

Phil can also chime in in this as he's done an Italy trip then went to Germany with us last summer.  He may have a different opinion.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: May 06, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
Agreed. Only do one country at once unless you have ear aids or something and don't expect to go back, in that case get a Europass and blow it out one city a day.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: May 06, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
our guy @KSUpurple is killing it in Europe right now. :love:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: May 06, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
I think even if I had ear aids I'd rather do one country at once.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: May 06, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »
Asava built a boat and then sailed across the Atlantic for three months in it?  I guess this was something that was already known.   
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
Asava built a boat and then sailed across the Atlantic for three months in it?  I guess this was something that was already known.   

His parents named him Melville.  He was doomed from the start to be an insufferable hipster.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: May 06, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »
Three months on a homemade boat sounds worse than jail.  The homemade part doesn't even matter.  Three months on a boat would be hell for me.  I am not a boat person at all.  Even just in lakes.  Hate it. 

Asava and I are very different humans.     
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: May 06, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
Three months on a homemade boat sounds worse than jail.  The homemade part doesn't even matter.  Three months on a boat would be hell for me.  I am not a boat person at all.  Even just in lakes.  Hate it. 

Asava and I are very different humans.     

down stater.  flat lander.

The Big Train

« Reply #4036 on: May 06, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
Florence is pretty amazing. I liked Rome better but almost everybody else in my traveling party preferred Florence. Agree on trains. Only way to get through Italy.

Both Florence and Rome are amazing, I posted pics of me at the colosseum in this thread maybe? Italy in general is pretty awesome.

The guys dressed as Spartans outside the colosseum that want to get pics with you only to tell you that you will owe them 20 euros after the fact tho are assholes.   

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4037 on: May 06, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »
I'm probably missing an entire Vegas eatery thread somewhere, but I'm headed there for a conference next week.  I haven't been there in five years, so a lot's probably changed since I've been last.

Any specific restaurant that I should hit up?  Probably won't do too much boozing and the like since I'll be there for work and on my own, so there's that.

Will you have a car, or will you be mainly confined to the strip?

They have cabs in Vegas.

I was planning on staying just on the strip and getting some exercise by walking.

What type of restaurant?  Good for a single guy to sit at the bar and eat or shmoozy client type restaurant?  I just got back from LV last night after a week there alone.  Lots of gourmet burger joints, gastropubs, and Neapolitan pizza places are now popping up after years of just high end star chef restaurants.

Gordon Ramsay BURGR @ Planet Hollywood is very solid

Hidden Pizza @ Cosmo is still my fave Vegas casual eatery tho

So, I think I'll do BURGR tomorrow, but my last night is Thursday, and I'm going to want to go out in style.

Has anyone been to Ramsay Steak?  It's a pretty quick walk from my hotel, and I really want a good steak dinner in Vegas.  Never done that before.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: May 06, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
I picture Italian tourist hustlers as being some of the worst in the world.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
I'm probably missing an entire Vegas eatery thread somewhere, but I'm headed there for a conference next week.  I haven't been there in five years, so a lot's probably changed since I've been last.

Any specific restaurant that I should hit up?  Probably won't do too much boozing and the like since I'll be there for work and on my own, so there's that.

They have cabs in Vegas.

I was planning on staying just on the strip and getting some exercise by walking.

What type of restaurant?  Good for a single guy to sit at the bar and eat or shmoozy client type restaurant?  I just got back from LV last night after a week there alone.  Lots of gourmet burger joints, gastropubs, and Neapolitan pizza places are now popping up after years of just high end star chef restaurants.

So, I think I'll do BURGR tomorrow, but my last night is Thursday, and I'm going to want to go out in style.

Has anyone been to Ramsay Steak?  It's a pretty quick walk from my hotel, and I really want a good steak dinner in Vegas.  Never done that before.

not been to ramsay steak.  both delmonico (emeril) and craftsteak (tom colicchio) are really good though, you'll have your dick out by the time your steak gets to the table.
i would also skip BURGR and go across the street to julian serrano, that crap is great spanish food.  you can find a good hamburger anywhere.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
They'll steal your wallet and your wife.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4041 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

They have cabs in Vegas.

not been to ramsay steak.  both delmonico (emeril) and craftsteak (tom colicchio) are really good though, you'll have your dick out by the time your steak gets to the table.
i would also skip BURGR and go across the street to julian serrano, that crap is great spanish food.  you can find a good hamburger anywhere.

Thanks, 'clams.

I had Mexican tonight, but it wasn't great.  I may walk over to the Aria tomorrow night and give it a shot.

Pretty sold on delmonico, now, though.  I think I'll make that happen on Thursday.   :thumbs:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
I'd also skip all the gourmet burger joints. There is a good taco stand by Polo towers, most Mexican on the strip is garbage, new one in linq included. Try China poblano in cosmo, unique stuff and has been good.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: May 07, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »
I don't even know what to think about this:  http://www.buddhabarhotelbudapest.com/en/  :sdeek:

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: May 07, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »
True story. The first thing I saw when I entered Rome proper was a homeless guy without any pants on, standing up, holding his legs and taking a crap. Fantastic way to start a trip. If you can, I can't suggest it enough.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: May 09, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
also, this-http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/04/etihad-a380-residence/

damn, $43k for a 7 hour flight?

you can book these with 2,365,199 Etihad miles. which is the same as 43 Etihad first class seats according to stupid gary leff  :lol:

edit: not stupid because he did the math on this, just stupid in general re. other things

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
Don't know if there's a separate luggage thread or not, but any recommendations for a canvas/leather duffle bag, mostly for personal use, preferably that will fit in the overheads, and most importantly looks like the carrier thereof is possibly a world adventurer and/or eminent archaeologist?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: May 09, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
Don't know if there's a separate luggage thread or not, but any recommendations for a canvas/leather duffle bag, mostly for personal use, preferably that will fit in the overheads, and most importantly looks like the carrier thereof is possibly a world adventurer and/or eminent archaeologist?

How long have you been here? I've never seen Bread ask for directions

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: May 09, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »

How long have you been here? I've never seen Bread ask for directions

Jeez, mocat, when did this beef start? oh yeah...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: May 09, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
world travelers don't worry about carry-on luggage. Trust me, I've lived outside of kansas for more than 3 months so I'm very traveled.