Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1354774 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #5200 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »
i'm excited for Batt BcKee!

I know right. I have about a 1 in 10,000 chance of a free vacation.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: September 17, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »
I think my longest flight ever will be the one to san fran. Not sure. I flew to Tampa and philly tho. I hate flying, especially with no leg room. Especially on the earliest flight, cause like, you shouldn't probably be drinking on the early flight, but like, I need something to calm me down through turbulence.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Asia isn't even on my travel radar.  I mean, sure it sounds great, but that is a super long flight.  If I was to take such a flight, I would need the trip to be long enough so that I don't dread the return flight the whole time.

What's the longest flight you've ever been on? Because IMO once you hit about five hours you probably won't get any more uncomfortable the rest of the flight.

I look forward to long flights because I never get that much time in a single block without having to do really anything but watch movies or read.

You're freakishly large, though. But economy plus probably wouldn't be too bad for you. Even in standard coach, the jet lag effects would be far worse for you than a few hours of general discomfort. (Which would also be a good reason for a longer trip).

my longest flight was frankfurt to denver. it was really long. I got blasted and stretched out for a long nap in a lufty biz class seat.  :cool:

I hate flying for more than a couple hours in coach. really hate it. more being close to random people than not being able to stretch out. that's why I actually like the little regionals that have a single seat on one side. my least favorite flight ever was LGA or EWR (don't remember which) to SAN at like 9PM. It was the worst. I almost died from hating it so much.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: September 17, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

I hate flying for more than a couple hours in coach. really hate it. more being close to random people than not being able to stretch out. that's why I actually like the little regionals that have a single seat on one side. my least favorite flight ever was LGA or EWR (don't remember which) to SAN at like 9PM. It was the worst. I almost died from hating it so much.

With a good set of headphones and plenty of music and movies and things to read, it's real easy to make yourself forget you're around other people. I kind of make myself a little cocoon and end up really liking it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: September 17, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
At my office this week they're giving away free airfare for two to anywhere United flies and four free nights in any Hilton hotel.

Where would everyone go? My wife and I are at odds on where we would go if I won them.

Given your location and length of stay, the best Hilton resort in Latin America or the Caribbean.

Well, 4 nights are free but that's not to say I couldn't/wouldn't pay for a room for more nights.   I would prefer to go to the South Pacific. My wife is thinking more along the lines of the Caribbean.

Like, the South Pacific for an island/beach? I guess I don't see the point of going all that way to sit around and drink fruity drinks and play in the water when the Caribbean (and Mexico) are so much closer and would leave you jet-lag free.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: September 17, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
Ms. Wacky wants to know what bar we're watching the game at in San Fran. I guess her aunt wants to know. Any suggestos, mich? How close will we be to you?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »
At my office this week they're giving away free airfare for two to anywhere United flies and four free nights in any Hilton hotel.

Where would everyone go? My wife and I are at odds on where we would go if I won them.

Given your location and length of stay, the best Hilton resort in Latin America or the Caribbean.

Well, 4 nights are free but that's not to say I couldn't/wouldn't pay for a room for more nights.   I would prefer to go to the South Pacific. My wife is thinking more along the lines of the Caribbean.

Like, the South Pacific for an island/beach? I guess I don't see the point of going all that way to sit around and drink fruity drinks and play in the water when the Caribbean (and Mexico) are so much closer and would leave you jet-lag free.

I don't think it's all the same at all. a beach isn't a beach anymore than a city is a city. everywhere has unique things to offer and I think there's significant value to taking advantage in this instance.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: September 17, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
I've been to Caribbean and Mexico.  It's great but those are easily affordable trips that I could take any time. If it's my own money, I don't know if I pay for plane ticket to the other side of the world but I would like to see it.  I think Maldives would be pretty awesome.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: September 17, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »
Ms. Wacky wants to know what bar we're watching the game at in San Fran. I guess her aunt wants to know. Any suggestos, mich? How close will we be to you?

http://ggtaproom.com/

I'll see if I can go to part of it, but I doubt it. :frown:

It'll be a bit of a walk from your hotel but it's right off Union Square so whatever.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »

http://ggtaproom.com/

I'll see if I can go to part of it, but I doubt it. :frown:
Thank you! I understand.  :frown: Go qatz, tho!  :D

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
i hope the person that wins this thing ends up taking his family to orlando or something

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
My longest duration flight was from Atlanta to Omaha, NE when we circled Omaha for like 3 hrs because of a storm.

My longest non-weather f'ed up flight was prob from LAX to MX city(iirc).  It was like 4:40 or something.  My primary problem is wide shoulders.  I have to like fold myself in half and keep my arms inside the seat.  Did this about 6yrs ago on a 3hr flight and ended up having some weird nerve/muscle issue in my elbow.  It took like 6 months of rehab to get rid of it and it returns somewhat easily when doing the same thing on flights.  The fact that coach seats rest into my knees without them being reclined is a close second to the elbow thing when it comes to pains in my flying ass.  I have def told the wife that when we start doing the overseas thing, we need to do it in biz class or something, otherwise I would prob really hate it.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »
Istanbul to Chicago. 11:45.  Middle seat of a 5-wide center section.  I was sitting next to the most annoying lady I've ever met.  She would take off my headphones to tell me something about the trip that I was just on with her.  I one point I very sternly told he to not touch my headphones again.  5 minutes later she tapped the side of them to get my attention.  Last 4 hours I had to fake sleep to get her to leave me alone.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: September 17, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
Istanbul to Chicago. 11:45.  Middle seat of a 5-wide center section.  I was sitting next to the most annoying lady I've ever met.  She would take off my headphones to tell me something about the trip that I was just with her on.  I one point I very sternly told he to not touch my headphones again.  5 minutes later she tapped the side of them to get my attention.  Last 4 hours I had to fake sleep to get her to leave me alone.

:sdeek:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
Istanbul to Chicago. 11:45.  Middle seat of a 5-wide center section.  I was sitting next to the most annoying lady I've ever met.  She would take off my headphones to tell me something about the trip that I was just with her on.  I one point I very sternly told he to not touch my headphones again.  5 minutes later she tapped the side of them to get my attention.  Last 4 hours I had to fake sleep to get her to leave me alone.

:goodbyecruelworld:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: September 17, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
I was on a flight from SFO to Tokyo and there was a Japanese couple who sat next to me that I swear did not watch a movie or read anything or listen to music for the entire 11 hour flight.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: September 17, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
I was on a flight from SFO to Tokyo and there was a Japanese couple who sat next to me that I swear did not watch a movie or read anything or listen to music for the entire 11 hour flight.

Robots

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: September 17, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »

:love:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: September 17, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »

The man sort of chatted me up during a meal and from what I could understand they were in the US to visit Lake Havasu.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »

I sat next to an Indian couple from Frankfurt to DFW that didn't watch TV, read or even speak to each other the entire flight.  The man did remove his shoes 30 minutes into the flight. He had the worst smelling feet ever and I was glad when their vegetarian meals with curry came and momentarily masked the stench.  5 hours in, he put his shoes on to go to the restroom and left them on the rest of the flight. Saved me life.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: September 17, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

The man sort of chatted me up during a meal and from what I could understand they were in the US to visit Lake Havasu.
Probably spring breaking like bosses.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: September 17, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
Longest was to Italy but most hated was to Hawaii. I literally dont want to go back to Hawaii because of the flight. Give me Mexico any day.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: September 17, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Robots
telepathy

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: September 17, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
Longest was to Italy but most hated was to Hawaii. I literally dont want to go back to Hawaii because of the flight. Give me Mexico any day.

flew coach back from kauai once on usair and the guy next to mrs dave and I was our valet at the hotel. was awesome because we talked about our stay and then he told us stories about famous people that have stayed at the hotel and stuff they did and secret stuff to do and how to get to beaches and junk we didn't know about. obviously I forgot all the pro-tips since then but I had big plans to remember them and do that stuff next trip.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
I've never really done Chicago as an "adult". I've always followed the lead of others. Do we take a cab or some other transit (train?) to get downtown Chicago? @8manpick @dlew etc.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:04:30 PM by WackyCat08 »