Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353363 times)

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
wife and i are looking at going to brazil next year. anyone been? when is the best time to go? tia.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
i guess i'll redirect my euro questions here.

anyone have any hotel recommendations in Paris in the St. Germaine area? what about in Rome near the train station? those areas were recommended to me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »

anyone have any hotel recommendations in Paris in the St. Germaine area? what about in Rome near the train station? those areas were recommended to me.

Park Hyatt Paris

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »

unless you are zipping in and out of the city every day, i wouldn't stay near termini.  there are tons of cheap hotels in that area though.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »

unless you are zipping in and out of the city every day, i wouldn't stay near termini.  there are tons of cheap hotels in that area though.

where would you stay in Rome? when i was there last, i was a cheap college student staying in a hostel on the outskirts of town (in other words, i have zero knowledge of nice hotels in the city).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
where would you stay in Rome? when i was there last, i was a cheap college student staying in a hostel on the outskirts of town (in other words, i have zero knowledge of nice hotels in the city).

i mean, it depends on what you plan on doing, and what sort of places you enjoy, and how much you walk vs use transport.  but the area around termini is kinda boring and an uncomfortable distance (too far to enjoy walking all the time, but so close that you feel stupid paying for the metro) from most stuff.

i guess i'd recommend the trastevere/vatican area if you want somewhere a little peaceful/residential with good restaurants around, but still close enough to walk to a lot of places.  or just in the general area of the pantheon/piazza navona/spanish steps zone if you want to be in the center of everything and don't mind the noise & people.

the area past campo d fiori might be good too (peacefulish), dunno.

this is a decent site for finding places, if you're looking more apartmenty than hotely.

http://cross-pollinate.com/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:51:44 PM by sys »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: trip assistance request thread
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
stillwater (probs would be better if you asked OK_Cat tho)

oh man, i'm a human version of wikipedia for stillwater.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: trip assistance request thread
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
Phoenix.

hmmmm, would be dealing with bowl crowds which we would obviously not be a part of.  what would my family do?  also, my wife may get checked for proof of citizenship which would make me kill a cop so may not be the best option. 

sys now votes for phoenix.

phx announcement voice is the xtranormal voice.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »
Phoenix.

hmmmm, would be dealing with bowl crowds which we would obviously not be a part of.  what would my family do?  also, my wife may get checked for proof of citizenship which would make me kill a cop so may not be the best option. 

sys now votes for phoenix.

phx announcement voice is the xtranormal voice.

Holy crap.  As you posted this, I'm listening to a criminal law lecture describing that in some jurisdictions, killing a cop can be bumped to 1st degree murder.  :surprised:  Proof of God?  Prayers.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
killing a cop can be bumped to 1st degree murder.  :surprised:  Proof of God?  Prayers.

doesn't sound like proof of god.  but, if it will help, i will pray.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »
killing a cop can be bumped to 1st degree murder.  :surprised:  Proof of God?  Prayers.

doesn't sound like proof of god.  but, if it will help, i will pray.

I meant the crazy mystical "coincidence" that happened there, but prayers never hurt (unless not properly given on a premium bbs in which case it appears God neglects or grants the opposite of the prayer).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
I meant the crazy mystical "coincidence" that happened there, but prayers never hurt (unless not properly given on a premium bbs in which case it appears God neglects or grants the opposite of the prayer).

would be typical of god to spend his time arranging crazy coincidences while ignoring dying children and legislative reform.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »

someone is trying to get you robbed/raped.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »

someone is trying to get you robbed/raped.

meh.

settled on the Artemide Hotel. looks nice, fantastic reviews, etc. looking forward to it.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
SD, Honolulu: Tuesday of Thanksgiving Break probably come back the Monday after. What credit cards for flight and maybe even for hotel(this one is hazy, would be going w/ a large group) should I get?
Also I may not even be able to go but would I be able to let someone else use those miles/points(rookie ? I know)
Also don't really care about the place because I wouldn't be in the room other than to sleep but would be nice if it was in central locay.

also does this go here or cc thread I contemplated that one for a good 2 seconds.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »
Quote from: sys and Tortuga

anyone have any hotel recommendations in Paris in the St. Germaine area? what about in Rome near the train station?

[useful suggestions and info]

meh.

settled on the Artemide Hotel.

FYI:  When Kougz asks where in Paris and Rome he should stay, the correct answer is, "Ooooh!!!  You're going to Paris and Rome?!?!"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
SD, Honolulu: Tuesday of Thanksgiving Break probably come back the Monday after. What credit cards for flight and maybe even for hotel(this one is hazy, would be going w/ a large group) should I get?
Also I may not even be able to go but would I be able to let someone else use those miles/points(rookie ? I know)
Also don't really care about the place because I wouldn't be in the room other than to sleep but would be nice if it was in central locay.

also does this go here or cc thread I contemplated that one for a good 2 seconds.

You are hosed for airline travel this thanksgiving.  Most programs will black out holiday dates and it is WAY too late to try to get even normal dates for free via miles to Hawaii.  Everyone uses their miles to travel to Hawaii and other vacay spots.  Nobody uses them to travel to chicago or dallas.  If you want to use miles to travel to Hawaii you need to book 10 months out.  BUT, if you want to go the Chase Sapphire route you can get the 53k in Chase and it would net you about $650 off a flight if you book via Chase's service.  That would be your only option.  As far as hotels probably the SPG 25k card (LET ME KNOW I WILL REFER YOU!!!!!).  It would get you 2 nights in Honolulu if they aren't booked to the gills already.  sdbro just stayed 4 nights in the Sheraton Waikiki and enjoyed it.  Very central. The Chase card to get Hyatt points would also be a good idea if you didn't want the airfare.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
Quote from: sys and Tortuga

anyone have any hotel recommendations in Paris in the St. Germaine area? what about in Rome near the train station?

[useful suggestions and info]

meh.

settled on the Artemide Hotel.

FYI:  When Kougz asks where in Paris and Rome he should stay, the correct answer is, "Ooooh!!!  You're going to Paris and Rome?!?!"

:rolleyes: i'm actually waiting for SD or 'clams to tell me how much my hotel choice sucks.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »

You are hosed for airline travel this thanksgiving.  Most programs will black out holiday dates and it is WAY too late to try to get even normal dates for free via miles to Hawaii.  Everyone uses their miles to travel to Hawaii and other vacay spots.  Nobody uses them to travel to chicago or dallas.  If you want to use miles to travel to Hawaii you need to book 10 months out.  BUT, if you want to go the Chase Sapphire route you can get the 53k in Chase and it would net you about $650 off a flight if you book via Chase's service.  That would be your only option.  As far as hotels probably the SPG 25k card (LET ME KNOW I WILL REFER YOU!!!!!).  It would get you 2 nights in Honolulu if they aren't booked to the gills already.  sdbro just stayed 4 nights in the Sheraton Waikiki and enjoyed it.  Very central. The Chase card to get Hyatt points would also be a good idea if you didn't want the airfare.
thanks sounds like Im sorta screwed then as far as reward programs.
I wonder how much a flight is if you book through chase with the 650 off, because I think we've found its like 750 or so rt out of MCI.
If I end up going it would be with a large group, some of who lived in Hawaii for an extended period so we might be able to stay at some peoples houses. So might not need the SPG card, the people that are "planning" this are taking there sweet ass time.

also going to san diego august2-4th and have PC points burning a whole in my wallet. any suggesto's(this is also contingent on if I don't end up staying at a friends house)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
The cost chase's program can get you should be that same 750 so you should be in good shape if you get the Sapphire card and spend $3k on it real quick.  And, worse case scenario, you don't end up going and you can still have those Chase points to transfer to Hyatt or Continental or something.  Have only stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp in San Diego.  Nice place.  PC has a lot of good deals like dollars and points or point stretcher deals and junk.  You should be good for a couple nights in SD. 

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
Please direct elite European travel questions this way. I live in the UK and travel around Europe frequently for business (i'm in sales). This weekend i was just in Malaga for a short weekend getaway  :drink:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
Please direct elite European travel questions this way. I live in the UK and travel around Europe frequently for business (i'm in sales). This weekend i was just in Malaga for a short weekend getaway  :drink:

what's the mileage situation there?  like, ryanair have a nice program?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
what's the best site for cheap plane tickets??? no miles unfortunately. sorry sd.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
what's the best site for cheap plane tickets??? no miles unfortunately. sorry sd.
just try kayak or something like that and have them compare all sites. also thanks for the advice sd

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
even better, actually kayak to your destination.