Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 936156 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #3350 on: March 27, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Oh, and we should hire Bozeman to be our next coach. We'd be fine.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: March 27, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
So something spooked UCLA off of Self.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: March 27, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
Texas State is interviewing Springmann from UT, Kaspar from SFA, Jerome Tang from Baylor and Brad Autry from Marquette :surprised:

damn, that's a nice list

Right? Absolutely nobody small timey on there. It's completely the opposite of what I'm used to. Word is we're willing to offer about 200-225k for the next coach which is not quite double what we paid our last garbage coach. I'm really excited.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
Texas State is interviewing Springmann from UT, Kaspar from SFA, Jerome Tang from Baylor and Brad Autry from Marquette :surprised:

damn, that's a nice list

Right? Absolutely nobody small timey on there. It's completely the opposite of what I'm used to. Word is we're willing to offer about 200-225k for the next coach which is not quite double what we paid our last garbage coach. I'm really excited.

You might have a new team worth watching soon, lucky bastard.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3355 on: March 27, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Wait, Texas State is a real school?  I thought it was just a place where Kathy Ireland kicked field goals in the movies.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: March 27, 2013, 09:02:03 PM »
oakland isn't what people think oakland is.  richmond is maybe what people think oakland is.

i haven't lived in oakland, but it appears crime & poverty are still problems:  http://sfist.com/2012/10/19/oakland_stockton_make_forbes_most_v.php
i'm sure much of the city is lovely, but i'm also sure that at least a handful of neighborhoods have serious problems.  the same thing with Memphis.  Sure, you can stay in The Peabody and watch the ducks take the elevator down from the penthouse for their daily swim in the fountain, but you can also live a half-mile away where 80%+ are below poverty.
i think you could have a nice experience in pretty much any city as long as you are :kstategrad: and not a poor.  some cities have areas of poors and high crime. oakland is one of those cities.  doesn't mean the whole place sucks.

I had no idea that Stl Mo was that dangerous.

someone hasn't seen national lampoon's vacation.

Their experience in the hood happened before they're crossed the river so I assumed it was in Illinois. :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
So I missed that Tech fired the entire basketball staff except for Walker. He is still a candidate, along with Doc, Barry Hinson, Steve McClain, and Scott Sutton. And rivals #22 Keith Frazier is supposed to decide between Tech and SMU on Thursday, Walker is his main recruiter.

mr. walker just got himself hired.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/report-five-star-kimball-g-keith-frazier-to-commit-to-texas-tech-over-smu-delay-his-announcement.html/
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
ESPN reporting Shaka texted them tonight and said he's staying ay VCU.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »
ESPN reporting Shaka texted them tonight and said he's staying ay VCU.

Extended through 2023

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
Wait, Texas State is a real school?  I thought it was just a place where Kathy Ireland kicked field goals in the movies.

DO YOU WALK THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD TO WORK HUR HUR

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »
Zagsblog saying it's likely Gottfried to UCLA now.  NC State has a stud 2013 class.  Feeding frenzy if he leaves.     

That seems like a poor fit. Zagoria has a pretty poor record of being right about anything that happens outside of the 212.

“Mark said he wants it and the boosters want Mark Gottfried,” the source told SNY.tv. “He’s got the support of the boosters.”

Gottfried has deep ties to UCLA, having served as an assistant there for eight years, including the 1994-95 national championship season under Jim Harrick.

:dunno:

None of that contradicts what I posted. So are we going to ignore his head coaching record or are we going to focus on his time as an assistant 18 years ago? They may select him, and that's fine, but he seems to be a dime a dozen as far as college basketball coaches go. How is he any different than oscar Weber? Pretty sure we would have been angry, not as though, if Gottfried replaced Martin. It's UCLfreakingA they either need to go get someone with accomplishments or a rising star assistant who has shown the ability to get lots of players.

He has apprently learned how to recruit at an elite level.  In his first two classes at NC State he's landed three McD's AAs and all six of his NC State recruits thus far have been RSCI top-100 players (2012: #17, #27 and #43 and 2013: #9, #40 and #72).  I'd say that sets him just a little apart from oscar seeing as how oscar didn't land a single RSCI top-100 player in the same time frame let alone a McD's AA.  I imagine if UCLA is interested, that's what they're seeing.  A basketball team full of studs every year.  Generally that has a positive impact on fan interest and support.

His recruiting results are great, no doubt. It just seems odd to me that UCLA would be interested in a coach that has been high on promise but low on delivery. Considering history and location it very well may be the best job in America.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: March 28, 2013, 12:52:38 AM »
Zagsblog saying it's likely Gottfried to UCLA now.  NC State has a stud 2013 class.  Feeding frenzy if he leaves.     

That seems like a poor fit. Zagoria has a pretty poor record of being right about anything that happens outside of the 212.

“Mark said he wants it and the boosters want Mark Gottfried,” the source told SNY.tv. “He’s got the support of the boosters.”

Gottfried has deep ties to UCLA, having served as an assistant there for eight years, including the 1994-95 national championship season under Jim Harrick.

:dunno:

None of that contradicts what I posted. So are we going to ignore his head coaching record or are we going to focus on his time as an assistant 18 years ago? They may select him, and that's fine, but he seems to be a dime a dozen as far as college basketball coaches go. How is he any different than oscar Weber? Pretty sure we would have been angry, not as though, if Gottfried replaced Martin. It's UCLfreakingA they either need to go get someone with accomplishments or a rising star assistant who has shown the ability to get lots of players.

He has apprently learned how to recruit at an elite level.  In his first two classes at NC State he's landed three McD's AAs and all six of his NC State recruits thus far have been RSCI top-100 players (2012: #17, #27 and #43 and 2013: #9, #40 and #72).  I'd say that sets him just a little apart from oscar seeing as how oscar didn't land a single RSCI top-100 player in the same time frame let alone a McD's AA.  I imagine if UCLA is interested, that's what they're seeing.  A basketball team full of studs every year.  Generally that has a positive impact on fan interest and support.

His recruiting results are great, no doubt. It just seems odd to me that UCLA would be interested in a coach that has been high on promise but low on delivery. Considering history and location it very well may be the best job in America.

Interested in what you would deem the top 5 jobs in America. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56:39 AM »
I think Shaka turning down the UCLA job is such a dumb decision.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: March 28, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Didn't see "Chris Collins to Northwestern" posted anywhere. Anyways, Chris Collins is going to Northwestern.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: March 28, 2013, 01:38:39 AM »

I feel like you are asking or hinting at something other than what you asked because there isn't much debate on the top five programs, the debate is in the order, and frankly who cares about the order.

1. UCLA- all of the history and tradition of Kentucky without the loony fans and the fact that it isn't in Kentucky
2. Kentucky
3. UNC
4. Kansas

5. Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, Arizona, Florida

I'm guessing this wouldn't look much different for most. I didn't put Duke alone in the top 5 simply because they can't get any player.

I think Shaka turning down the UCLA job is such a dumb decision.

If he truly turned down an offer I agree. He won't get a better one.

Offline POD Lasalle Edition

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • the poster formerly known as pig of destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: March 28, 2013, 02:19:15 AM »

I feel like you are asking or hinting at something other than what you asked because there isn't much debate on the top five programs, the debate is in the order, and frankly who cares about the order.

1. UCLA- all of the history and tradition of Kentucky without the loony fans and the fact that it isn't in Kentucky
2. Kentucky
3. UNC
4. Kansas

I'm guessing this wouldn't look much different for most. I didn't put Duke alone in the top 5 simply because they can't get any player.

if you are going to argue syracuse, arizona, and florida, you might as well include arkansas and michigan state.
your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass still hasn't returned.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:51 AM »
Yeah, I forgot Michigan State on that list of the others. It took me forever to post that because I knew I forgot one and it was driving me crazy.

Offline POD Lasalle Edition

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • the poster formerly known as pig of destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: March 28, 2013, 03:11:19 AM »
Yeah, I forgot Michigan State on that list of the others. It took me forever to post that because I knew I forgot one and it was driving me crazy.
Eh, man it happens. Don't mind me, im just here to give everyone crap.
your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass still hasn't returned.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:29 AM »
i don't think ucla is as good a job as people think.  they handicap themselves by not being sure if they really want to compete in the big budget era of college athletics (facilities, salaries, etc).  also, they'll fire your ass if you aren't wooden v2 and west coast teams don't get on natl tv as much.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: March 28, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
i don't think ucla is as good a job as people think.  they handicap themselves by not being sure if they really want to compete in the big budget era of college athletics (facilities, salaries, etc).  also, they'll fire your ass if you aren't wooden v2 and west coast teams don't get on natl tv as much.

plus there's so many more recruits relatively close to you in a place like north Carolina or Syracuse. I bet Shaka is waiting for a big east coast job to open up

catzacker

« Reply #3371 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »

damn, that's a nice list

If Tang went to Texas State....that a good thing or bad thing?  Would it mean UT, KU gets more of those kids?

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »

damn, that's a nice list

If Tang went to Texas State....that a good thing or bad thing?  Would it mean UT, KU gets more of those kids?

I'm not real informed on Baylor's recruiting, so is Tang the main reason Baylor is getting the majority of the recruits? Sorry for the ignorance.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 28, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »

They just upgraded Pauley and history actually indicates they are very patient with coaches. They've only had 3 coaches since 1988, the problem with UCLA coaches is they tend to find trouble for the program outside the scope of wins and losses.

You're right about players being everywhere, but there is only one Westwood. I don't have to tell you how amazing So Cal can be for a young guy.

The greatest indication of how good of a job UCLA is since John Wooden retired UCLA has had 9 head coaches, the worst losing percentage of these 9 coaches is Walt Hazzard at 62%.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: March 28, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »

2. Kentucky
3. UNC
4. Kansas

No just wondered.  It just made me think a little bit.  I agree with the top tier programs for the most part, but I started questioning the actual value, to a high-end coach of being at UCLA. 

The things I questioned:
1. prominence - sure, UCLA is a high-clout job in cbb, but is it still that big of a deal in LA?  I count Dodgers, Angels, USC football, Lakers, and now Clippers as bigger tickets than UCLA bball.  They have to compete directly with 1/2 of USC football season, and all of the LAkers and Clippers.

2. The support and funding for UCLA bball as compared to other top-tier programs.  I don't think it compares and other "football first" schools also heavily fund bball and there is little pressure. 

I would say that there are a lot of recruits in the CA area though.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.