Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893462 times)

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #1075 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
meek has the tim brando interview transcript. rake, eff you.

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/austin-meek/2011-04-05/martin-addresses-coaching-carousel

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 05, 2011, 11:27:39 AM »
 :runaway:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 05, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »
j_rake Jeffrey Rake
K-State fans won't like Frank Martin's responses on the @TimBrando show.
20 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jfc, rake. what the hell did he say?

NEVER SAY NEVER

mellinger - "watch out kstate fans, because in tomorrow's blog i outline why the timing is PERFECT for martin to leave."
mellinger tomorrow - "pullen and kelly are seniors, they won't be back."

Mellinger is trying the "pure volume of words" approach that JOPO used to get a huge raise.  Churn out 10's of thousands of words daily and hope to catch some attention.  It is failing pretty badly right now, but couldn't hurt considering McClatchey has to be losing their ass and the Star is now roughly the size of the Pitch...the Sunday edition.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:30 AM »
Until he proves he can sustain success, recruit at a high level, make the NCAA tourney and finish in the upper half of the conference in the post Pullen/Clemente era he's not worth a huge pay raise.

The problem I have with that example is that this is the second time we've heard that....except before, it was "let's see how he does after Beasley/Walker."

I don't think we need to throw tons of money at him, but I think we're past the point of wondering if he'll keep kstate at a high level.

No we're not . . . and we don't need to throw any more money around.   For the amount of money that K-State basketball makes, and for what Frank has done to date.  He's compensated quite well . . . and note, I'm not saying we can't afford to pay him another $500K a year or even more, because we can.   But that puts Frank in the same arena as coaches who have done a hell of a lot a more than he has/coaches with great agents working for stupid schools who pay too much for what they get.

Pay raise would not as much be about the value of Frank, but insurance against this.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1079 on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »
meek has the tim brando interview transcript. rake, eff you.

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/austin-meek/2011-04-05/martin-addresses-coaching-carousel

It's a good thing, too.

The way I heard it, Frank said he was collecting welfare checks 10 years ago.  :lol:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
can someone who doesn't think/want martin to be paid a little more explain why? because personally, i could care less if frank makes 4 million. actually i'd love for him to make four million. i'd love for everyone in the world to make four million. why should i care if he makes more money? i don't. pay him whatever it takes to keep him and then get rid of him if he starts sucking. not that hard. the amount of money that he makes, especially when we're talking about a few hundred thousand a year, does not affect me whatsoever. i am affected if he leaves.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:44:22 AM by Rick Daris »

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »
nice of Frank to pitch manhattan to our next coach.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
rumblings Indiana has told Stevens' agent that they may fire Crean after next season and to hold out on any jobs he may be offered  :surprised:

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1083 on: April 05, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »
The good news is that Miami is probably too cheap to fly a plane to even visit with Frank.

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 05, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
NC State related:

Dear Wolfpack Family,

I am writing to share with you the status of the search for our new head coach for men's basketball. There have been telephone conversations with successful coaches that did not develop into meetings -- sometimes because we did not wish to pursue those coaches further and sometimes because the coach involved is happy where he is.

The conversations have been candid. We have not tried to sugarcoat the challenge of rebuilding our basketball program. Our absence for 5 consecutive years from the NCAA Tournament was noted by each coach as evidence that the program is in poor shape and will require a special effort to rebuild.

Finding a coach with the fight and fire to do this job has been a challenge. That said, we will find an excellent college coach who shares the vision of what State Basketball can become and is up for the challenge.

I realize there are multiple rumors surfacing about the nature of the search on websites and in newspapers. Once our new coach is hired, I will be in a position to bring perspective to a number of those rumors. But, right now, we need to remain focused on finding a talented collegiate coach who is a fighter, full of confidence and appreciation for the opportunity to lead our basketball program back to national prominence.

That will happen in spite of those who believe this cannot occur.

Wolfpack Basketball is destined for a revival. We will accept no less. Please keep the faith while we continue the search. Your emails and text messages of support have meant everything to me. I am blessed to be your AD.

In the Spirit of the Pack,

Debbie

She just sounds awful at her job

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1085 on: April 05, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
rumblings Indiana has told Stevens' agent that they may fire Crean after next season and to hold out on any jobs he may be offered  :surprised:

Brad Stevens will coach there at some point.  It's simply a question of when.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
That's really over-simplifying it.

As I mentioned above, you pay to keep a brand.  Kansas State isn't on ESPN all of the time, or Jim Rome all of the time, because we finish in the top four of the Big 12 every year.  We get that because of Frank Martin and the fact that he's good for a clip or a soundbyte.

Frank is one of those coaches that kind of transcends the game because of his persona.  We'll always have cameras on us because the cameras love him.  We'll always have articles written about us because he gives a great quote.  You can't put a price on that because that benefits the program AND the university.  It's free advertising.

Kansas State isn't relevant because of one Elite 8 run.  Kansas State is relevant because Frank is a good story.  Otherwise, we're Missouri, and no one gives a crap about Missouri (as you've clearly seen).

The branding issue is a major point in all this, and one that can't be overlooked. And its noticed, Telep wrote about it in November:

1. The scowl is the brand
The best basketball teams in America recruit to their brand. Teams who struggle to establish their brand often times wind up navigating the high seas of college basketball without a compass. Your brand or identity can be a style of play like Syracuse's zone or a mindset akin to Michigan State's toughness.
At Kansas State, the brand is the coach. Frank Martin sets the tone and is the face of the program. Each icy stare he shoots at a player isn't met with resistance but respect and the guys truly revere him on his team. Martin recruits guys with a chip on their shoulder and coaches them hard.

When you bring in guys who feel slighted like Jacob Pullen (not a top 100 player) and Will Spradling, they want to prove people wrong. Martin uses that motivation and by doing so he appeals to the next Pullen sitting in his living room watching Kansas State gang up on higher-rated prospects and teams. Martin is the brand and right now it's strong and appealing.

We have something that can't be replaced easily if you let it go. When Kruger left K-State still had a brand as a program. We've been through Huggins, Beasley, Walker, and Pullen in the last 5 years, but when you ask 95% (or more) of the public about K-State basketball, most will mention Frank Martin first. This is really an amazing thing, I think we are so close to it as fans we really don't realize how amazing it is, especially when a big part of the star power in college basketball is from the coaches, past and present. From Wooden to Knight to Coach K to Calhoun. Players come and go so often, the face of programs either becomes their tradition/success, their coach, or eventually both. All signs point to us having at least the beginning stages of that, it would be stupid to let that go because we're too cheap to pony up another 300-500K per year.

I agree

The best kind of validation is _FAN validation with a sd cherry on top.

:woot:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »

Makes me sad.  I mean, there are much better jobs out there for the poor little guy.  Indiana has been below average or worse for longer than current recruits have been alive.

Would be amazing to see him replace Calhoun.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:12:54 PM by CNS Casey »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
NC State related:

Dear Wolfpack Family,

I am writing to share with you the status of the search for our new head coach for men's basketball. There have been telephone conversations with successful coaches that did not develop into meetings -- sometimes because we did not wish to pursue those coaches further and sometimes because the coach involved is happy where he is.

The conversations have been candid. We have not tried to sugarcoat the challenge of rebuilding our basketball program. Our absence for 5 consecutive years from the NCAA Tournament was noted by each coach as evidence that the program is in poor shape and will require a special effort to rebuild.

Finding a coach with the fight and fire to do this job has been a challenge. That said, we will find an excellent college coach who shares the vision of what State Basketball can become and is up for the challenge.

I realize there are multiple rumors surfacing about the nature of the search on websites and in newspapers. Once our new coach is hired, I will be in a position to bring perspective to a number of those rumors. But, right now, we need to remain focused on finding a talented collegiate coach who is a fighter, full of confidence and appreciation for the opportunity to lead our basketball program back to national prominence.

That will happen in spite of those who believe this cannot occur.

Wolfpack Basketball is destined for a revival. We will accept no less. Please keep the faith while we continue the search. Your emails and text messages of support have meant everything to me. I am blessed to be your AD.

In the Spirit of the Pack,

Debbie

She just sounds awful at her job

She sent out a release/letter defending her rep :facepalm: instantly makes it worse.  She needs to have at least one person around her willing to tell her no.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 05, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
Meek transcribes Brando/Martin: http://cjonline.com/blog-post/austin-meek/2011-04-05/martin-addresses-coaching-carousel

I viewed this as a positive take, especially by someone as candid as Frank is.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »

Makes me sad.  I mean, there are much better jobs out there for the poor little guy.  Indiana hasn't been below average or worse for longer than current recruits have been alive.

Indiana is a good job.  They just made a couple of bad hires.  It's still a blue blood.  A dormant blue blood, but it is one nonetheless.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
rumblings Indiana has told Stevens' agent that they may fire Crean after next season and to hold out on any jobs he may be offered  :surprised:

Brad Stevens will coach there at some point.  It's simply a question of when.

Makes me sad.  I mean, there are much better jobs out there for the poor little guy.  Indiana hasn't been below average or worse for longer than current recruits have been alive.

Indiana is a good job.  They just made a couple of bad hires.  It's still a blue blood.  A dormant blue blood, but it is one nonetheless.

Yeah, Sampson is to Indiana as Sutton was to Kentucky in some ways. Don't know if Crean = Pitino though.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 05, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
Why is Crean getting crap on at Indiana already? I figured their fans were more rational than that. Crean is a fantastic coach, would take.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »
btw, lol @ mu hiring a coach with ties/experience recruiting in texas, new york and florida.  couldn't have chosen anyone more eff kstatey.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1094 on: April 05, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »
Why is Crean getting crap on at Indiana already? I figured their fans were more rational than that. Crean is a fantastic coach, would take.

indiana fans are supportive of crean. the smart ones, anyway.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: April 05, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
The good news is that Miami is probably too cheap to fly a plane to even visit with Frank.

we have directs to DFW or ORD so they would only have to make one stop.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

Crean looks like someone who constantly gets the books knocked out of his hands in the hallway.  would definitely not take. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 05, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
can someone who doesn't think/want martin to be paid a little more explain why? because personally, i could care less if frank makes 4 million. actually i'd love for him to make four million. i'd love for everyone in the world to make four million. why should i care if he makes more money? i don't. pay him whatever it takes to keep him and then get rid of him if he starts sucking. not that hard. the amount of money that he makes, especially when we're talking about a few hundred thousand a year, does not affect me whatsoever. i am affected if he leaves.
no reason to pay him more imo. and i also disagree that everyone should make $4m per.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 05, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
btw, lol @ mu hiring a coach with ties/experience recruiting in texas, new york and florida.  couldn't have chosen anyone more eff kstatey.

Do you think he can win at MU? I don't think he'll be worse (at least not much) than Anderson, but I don't think he'll contend for the league either.  I think his style is sort of McDermotty, but with better athletes and good oboarding, could be worse.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
which cocaching job do you guys think is better:  kstarte or bama?