Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893514 times)

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #975 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:03 PM »
This thread has become a half-baked brick of crap now that the champ game has distracted sports writers/analysts from caring about miami/martin
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #976 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
KState fans love to downplay Kansas/KC guys because we seldom land the good ones.  The Rush bros, the kid that played for Stanford, (Willms?) Tyrone Brown, Jamall Walker, Evans, etc, etc.  (I was specifically trying to think of talent that wasn't super fresh in people's mind.  cac- Korleone is another.)  And this is coming from a dude who really didn't follow recruiting on the MO side until like 3 yrs ago, because KSU was never even mentioned in their recruiting.
Earl Watson is another.

Anyone remember Derek Hood and Tyrone Lew
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »
goodmanonfox Jeff Goodman
Yet another N.C State candidate off board. RT @tsnmike: Cincinnati's Mick Cronin remains w/ Bearcats, receives extension aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketbal…

NC State's AD woman must be a real bitch

she's really good at getting coaches at other schools extensions/raises, how many have turned her down to get extensions, Smart, Marshall, Cronin, and there are more I'm not remembering now
I'm purple down

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
This thread has become a half-baked brick of crap now that the champ game has distracted sports writers/analysts from caring about miami/martin

The discussion of Pete & chum's talking point did a good job of weeding out you tards, please read only.  I'm pretty sure I speak for many when I say pages 8-18 or so of this thread could vanish and no one would ever miss what was there.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 04, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »

The discussion of Pete & chum's talking point did a good job of weeding out you tards, please read only.  I'm pretty sure I speak for many when I say pages 8-18 or so of this thread could vanish and no one would ever miss what was there.

this  :bracketmouse:

Offline wildcat1979

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 04, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=13&f=2929&t=7393996&p=1

Only a few of the posters actually seem to want him.  They seem to want Capel...

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 04, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
Ok, let's get constructive now.  goEMAWers need to go to UM message boards and monitor the situation closely, and report your findings here.  If they have a pay site that is worth a cac, let's get a subscription going for this month.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=13&f=2929&t=7394769&p=1

Best reason not to want Frank Martin for Miami's head coaching vacancy: We've already had one coach that recruited Denis Clemente, we don't need a second.

These guys deserve a shitty team.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 04, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »

you posted more than anyone else.  

Offline 5601js

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
LOL at their dumbassery.
God forbid a point guard lead your team to an Elite 8.  

No wonder they suck at bball.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 04, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Location does matter

Every single college basketball recruiting class ranking ever released disagrees with you.

Toss out the "traditional" powers (...we are not one of those).  Then, look at the locations.

What I'm looking at is what the Florida schools are not getting, I'm not talking about us.  BTW the only "traditional" powers IMO are KU, UK, UNC, Duke, and UCLA.  Every other good current program is the beneficiary of recent success, hiring the right guy.  There is literally no reason why any BCS school who wants to commit themselves to it can't become Syracuse.

How can you not put UCONN in the traditional powerhouses? For a kid who is 15-18, UCONN has won 2 NCs in that time (about to be 3) and gone to 4 Final 4's, and won the Big East in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, and 2006, not to mention winning the Big East tournament. They'd be right up there with Duke in terms of accomplishments in the past 20 years.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
This thread has become a half-baked brick of cac now that the champ game has distracted sports writers/analysts from caring about miami/martin

NO ONE got weeded out. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #986 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
Ok, let's get constructive now.  goEMAWers need to go to UM message boards and monitor the situation closely, and report your findings here.  If they have a pay site that is worth a cac, let's get a subscription going for this month.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=13&f=2929&t=7394769&p=1

Best reason not to want Frank Martin for Miami's head coaching vacancy: We've already had one coach that recruited Denis Clemente, we don't need a second.

These guys deserve a cacty team.

This is the kind of insight you expect from "hotdog guy"...

1. Frank Martin speaks Spanish?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »

Not surprise that you missed the point, I was complimenting you and Pete for diverting the 10+ pages of :runaway: Frank's gone.  My god do you huff paint?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »

Not surprise that you missed the point, I was complimenting you and Pete for diverting the 10+ pages of :runaway: Frank's gone.  My god do you huff paint?

no, the meltdown is the good, fun, ksufans portion of the thread.  the talking out of your ass about recruiting part is the bad, taking yourself too seriously, gpc portion of the thread.  gpc sucks.  you suck.  get it?

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
This is a thread about the coaching carousel, right?  Just want to be sure this is the best place to dump this?   :facepalm:

Yet another N.C State candidate off board. RT @tsnmike: Cincinnati's Mick Cronin remains w/ Bearcats, receives extension http://t.co/ncsyHa3

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Okay, the horrible game is over, the squabbling over the KSU vs. Miami job is hopefully drawing to a close (because KSU is the better job, obviously), and now we can start talking about how much Frank can command for his extension.

I say KSU starts at $1.8 per year plus incentives.  Seems like a reasonable starting point.

Thoughts?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
This is a thread about the coaching carousel, right?  Just want to be sure this is the best place to dump this?   :facepalm:

Yet another N.C State candidate off board. RT @tsnmike: Cincinnati's Mick Cronin remains w/ Bearcats, receives extension http://t.co/ncsyHa3

They should give Dana Altman a call.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 04, 2011, 11:05:41 PM »
Okay, the horrible game is over, the squabbling over the KSU vs. Miami job is hopefully drawing to a close (because KSU is the better job, obviously), and now we can start talking about how much Frank can command for his extension.

I say KSU starts at $1.8 per year plus incentives.  Seems like a reasonable starting point.

Thoughts?

Good number, but I'd offer it tomorrow and have him sign with a humongo buyout so Uconn doesn't take him. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 04, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »

Thoughts?

Just restructure. Keep the current deal, but add on around 200K per year.  Instead of $1.3 million in 2011-12, $1.4 million in 2012-13, $1.5 million in 2013-14 and $1.6 million in 2014-15, make it something like this: $1.5 million in 2011-12, $1.6 million in 2012-13, $1.7 million in 2013-14 and $1.8 million in 2014-15. Plus incentives.

Then reset the buyout; $2 million this season, then $1 after next, and so on.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »

Thoughts?

Does goEMAW mgmt have to fire up the "pay Frank" machine again, or can you guys do something on your own?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »

Thoughts?

If we do end up extending him, I hope it is done right.  He needs to be at $2 million plus with raises for the staff which will allow for a high buyout.  Part of the reason that we are worried about lateral or worse moves like Oregon, Depaul, NCSU, and Miami is that his contract blows.  However, at this point it would appear that we would be bidding against ourselves which isn't a good thing.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 04, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »

Thoughts?

If we do end up extending him, I hope it is done right.  He needs to be at $2 million plus with raises for the staff which will allow for a high buyout.  Part of the reason that we are worried about lateral or worse moves like Oregon, Depaul, NCSU, and Miami is that his contract blows.  However, at this point it would appear that we would be bidding against ourselves which isn't a good thing.

Here's something I debated with a co-worker...

I don't know what we're paying Underwood, Figgs, Greenwalt, etc., but if Frank is the loyal guy I think he is, and Currie is the guy I think he is (i.e. he'll go outside the current staff for a coach), something tells me the school that hires him is hiring the whole crew, and Frank wouldn't feel right letting his guys swing in the wind without jobs.  That's the biggest reason I don't think Miami is a threat; they can pay him, but I don't think they can handle the entourage.

Now, my assumption could have no basis in reality, and I could be way off base, but I think we need to keep throwing money at the whole lot of them.  That seems like it's every bit, if not more, likely to keep him here.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:02 PM »

Thoughts?

Does goEMAW mgmt have to fire up the "pay Frank" machine again, or can you guys do something on your own?
[/quote

Hey, I wrote an article about it last year, man.  We just don't have the marketing engine you guys do.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 04, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
His contract is probably just about right where it should be and 1.5 mil plus incentives for the next few years is a great deal for a first time head coach. If another school comes offering with more money we'll have the opp to restructure his contract or not. If his success continues we'll prob restructure it regardless.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
a first time head coach

He has had sustained success, this is no longer relevant.