Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893492 times)

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #900 on: April 04, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »
Sock

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 04, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Just for the record, who here is a giant dumbass and believes that Frank would not be able to recruit better at Miami.  Show of hands please...would like to know who to mock openly to their faces.

:raiseshand:

yeah, agree.  don't see any reason to think he would recruit better.

There's no way it isn't a hell of a lot easier to convince an 18 year-old kid to go to Coral Gables than to Manhattan, KS.  He'll be able to keep kids that he now loses simply due to location and also be able to attract local players that aren't available here.

We all thought accepted the notion that Huggins would be able to recruit much better at WVU. Get the east coast kids and all that. His recruiting hasn't been any better than Frank's. I've decided that location is meaningless when it comes to recruiting.

Amen!  Recruiting is about how your program is perceived.  Very few schools have gotten the positive publicity that K-State has over the past couple of years.  The fact is you can convince an 18-year-old kid to go just about anywhere you want. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 04, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
Just for the record, who here is a giant dumbass and believes that Frank would not be able to recruit better at Miami.  Show of hands please...would like to know who to mock openly to their faces.

There's no way it isn't a hell of a lot easier to convince an 18 year-old kid to go to Coral Gables than to Manhattan, KS.  He'll be able to keep kids that he now loses simply due to location and also be able to attract local players that aren't available here.

I'm with chum.  eff Sys and MIR.

You cannot be rough ridin' serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense. 

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
If it's so easy to recruit to Miami, why do they suck so bad?

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
LOLtastic!   :lol:

http://www.kansan.com/news/2011/apr/04/morning-brew-coaches/

Second, Shaka Smart leaves Virginia Commenwealth and replaces Frank Martin at KSU. There is nothing I would like more than to see the Jayhawks get the chance to avenge their Elite Eight loss to Smart by getting two cracks at him next year. This is also unlikely to happen because a) as of my writing this, Frank Martin is still at K-State, and b) Smart is staying at VCU after signing an eight-year extension with a hefty pay raise Monday. But it would keep the fiery rivalry going, and the online message boards would be filled with banter from both fan bases in anticipation for Self-Smart round two.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 04, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
Didn't realize Smart's contract was for 8 yrs.  Good for him, dude got one hell of a raise AND a long contract.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 04, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
Smart kicked the crap out of Self pretty easily...not sure it's much of a rivalry.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »
Self's gonna have to start beating those mid-majors for it to be considered a rivalry.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 04, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »
Great question.  Please start a thread listing who you think might get a shot at the KSU job should Frank leave.  tia.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
AKuperstein Adam Kuperstein
by JBBauersfeld
Kansas State coach Frank Martin told our sister station Telemundo51 that he has not been contacted by Miami about coaching job yet

:opcat:

that emoticon gets used way more times than necessary.

That's what's funny about it, stupid.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 04, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
And yeah, once the practice facility is done, Miami's facilities won't even be in the same stratosphere as K-State's. Like seriously, it's pretty shitty down there. Even their campus is kind of gross. So yeah, I doubt Frank would be able to recruit much better down there.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 04, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
And yeah, once the practice facility is done, Miami's facilities won't even be in the same stratosphere as K-State's. Like seriously, it's pretty cacty down there. Even their campus is kind of gross. So yeah, I doubt Frank would be able to recruit much better down there.

Didn't you see the stuff about the "Rock Facility?"

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
And yeah, once the practice facility is done, Miami's facilities won't even be in the same stratosphere as K-State's. Like seriously, it's pretty cacty down there. Even their campus is kind of gross. So yeah, I doubt Frank would be able to recruit much better down there.

Didn't you see the stuff about the "Rock Facility?"

uh, no. wut's up

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 04, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
Just for the record, who here is a giant dumbass and believes that Frank would not be able to recruit better at Miami.  Show of hands please...would like to know who to mock openly to their faces.

yeah, agree.  don't see any reason to think he would recruit better.

There's no way it isn't a hell of a lot easier to convince an 18 year-old kid to go to Coral Gables than to Manhattan, KS.  He'll be able to keep kids that he now loses simply due to location and also be able to attract local players that aren't available here.

We all thought accepted the notion that Huggins would be able to recruit much better at WVU. Get the east coast kids and all that. His recruiting hasn't been any better than Frank's. I've decided that location is meaningless when it comes to recruiting.

Amen!  Recruiting is about how your program is perceived.  Very few schools have gotten the positive publicity that K-State has over the past couple of years.  The fact is you can convince an 18-year-old kid to go just about anywhere you want.  

I don't think recruiting was a the major problem for Haith.

In his time at Miami, he brought in 8 Top 100 HS players and 5 more that were borderline Top 100. Five were Top 75 and 2 Top 35. Those players came from Florida (5), Georgia (2), North Carolina (2), Ohio, Texas, New York, and Michigan.

When I look at Haith's teams, their biggest offensive strength consistently was offensive rebounding and in his last 5 years offense was a big strength finishing #50 or better in offensive efficiency. But defensively his teams consistently are average, they don't force turnovers, and they often give up offensive boards. None of his defenses lately have been terrible (>100) in efficiency, but they also aren't great (<50).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »

You cannot be rough ridin' serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense. 

You're being really irrational and illogical, so before I treat this talking point like it came from ednksu or bookcat, you need to explain where the hell you're going with this point.  Certainly you see the evidence and history isn't on your side, so I gotta know where the hell you're going with this.  

You're much smarter than this, I don't think chum is.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 04, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
Location does matter but in high level recruiting these kids are making basically business decisions that will effect the rest of their lives, so several other factors are going to be a lot more important. I mean, if you just look around at the evidence I think that's pretty rough ridin' evident.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
Location does matter

Every single college basketball recruiting class ranking ever released disagrees with you.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 04, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
You're being really irrational and illogical, so before I treat this talking point like it came from ednksu or bookcat, you need to explain where the hell you're going with this point.  Certainly you see the evidence and history isn't on your side, so I gotta know where the hell you're going with this.  

Do you think Frank would recruit at Miami similar to Haith? (though IMHO it is unlikely Frank goes to Miami).

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #919 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »

As evidenced by Pepperdine, Hawaii, and FIU's recruiting success.

Top recruits don't care about basketball, the program, or the coach and his ability to get them to the NBA.  All that matters is the weather, beach proximity, and the likelihood of seeing the tit of a girl lathered up in banana boat pop out of her top while she jogs in the sand.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »

You cannot be effing serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense. 

Here's my thinking on this....

If you look at how well Frank has done historically recruiting South Florida, and you look at the number of quality players that are coming out of South Florida right now (http://sfhighschoolsports.com/blog/basketball-boys-blogs/south-florida-players-ncaa-tournament)  it defies all logic to suggest that at a BCS school in the most lavish location in South Florida would not be easier to recruit to than KSU.

Now, this argument is also based on the notion that Frank was able to recruit to KSU when we had no facilities, he had no recognizable name (yet), and we had a fine tradition of sucking the sweat off a dead man's balls.

I am of the opinion that given Franks' now "national name," he could get a greater proportion of South Florida targets than he currently gets today at KSU.  I'd liken it to Howard Schnellenberger...before Howard, they were "giving football tickets away at Burger King" at Miami.

Even a decade ago, when Hamilton was winning at Miami, South Florida wasn't as prolific as it is today...it's a "boom" time for the area, is it not?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »
Just for the record, who here is a giant dumbass and believes that Frank would not be able to recruit better at Miami.  Show of hands please...would like to know who to mock openly to their faces.

yeah, agree.  don't see any reason to think he would recruit better.

There's no way it isn't a hell of a lot easier to convince an 18 year-old kid to go to Coral Gables than to Manhattan, KS.  He'll be able to keep kids that he now loses simply due to location and also be able to attract local players that aren't available here.

I'm with chum.  eff Sys and MIR.

You cannot be effing serious and suggest that it's no hard to recruit a south florida kid to KS than to a FL school.  That's stupid.  It makes no sense.  

As evidenced by Pepperdine

Top recruits don't care about basketball, the program, or the coach and his ability to get them to the NBA.  All that matters is the weather, beach proximity, and the likelihood of seeing the tit of a girl lathered up in banana boat pop out of her top while she jogs in the sand.

I was actually going to site Pepperdine as  a reverse proof of my theory.   Asbury did well at Pepperdine.  Moves to KSU, sucks complete cac at recruiting.  How to explain?  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 04, 2011, 08:24:29 PM »
Basic logistics make it easier to recruit to Miami. I just don't think the KSU brand is at a point where that can be overcome.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
I think location breaks ties, or at the very most can make a program that's barely sub-par to another get the commit from some recruits. It's not a major deciding factor. I do kinda think it's more important for football though. Maybe I'm just tarded tho.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
Location does matter

Every single college basketball recruiting class ranking ever released disagrees with you.

Toss out the "traditional" powers (...we are not one of those).  Then, look at the locations.