Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 926007 times)

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6300 on: January 10, 2023, 09:56:07 AM »
God!!! Hur hur

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: January 10, 2023, 09:59:53 AM »
I wouldn't have been concerned if he gave a halfway decent answer.  It's a pretty glaring misstep for someone who seems to be calculated and executing perfectly since he's taken the job.

You want him to have a calculated answer about jobs he definitely hasn't been offered yet? Wouldn't a calculated response to this question, the first week of January, speak to his mind not being focused on where it needs to be? No, I don't want him to have a crafted answer to that question on January 9th off his first season as a head coach.

Yes, I want him to have a calculated answer to getting asked about job openings.  He clearly planned/expected to be successful quickly from all of his preseason talk.  It's naive to think that doesn't result in having to answer questions about job openings.  Maybe the "God's plan" is going to be his response for 5 years, but the first time it's not terribly reassuring.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: January 10, 2023, 10:12:22 AM »
I'm sure he would rather make more money than less, just like everyone else would. If we pay him fairly, he will stay.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: January 10, 2023, 10:16:06 AM »
I wouldn't have been concerned if he gave a halfway decent answer.  It's a pretty glaring misstep for someone who seems to be calculated and executing perfectly since he's taken the job.

You want him to have a calculated answer about jobs he definitely hasn't been offered yet? Wouldn't a calculated response to this question, the first week of January, speak to his mind not being focused on where it needs to be? No, I don't want him to have a crafted answer to that question on January 9th off his first season as a head coach.

Yes, I want him to have a calculated answer to getting asked about job openings.  He clearly planned/expected to be successful quickly from all of his preseason talk.  It's naive to think that doesn't result in having to answer questions about job openings.  Maybe the "God's plan" is going to be his response for 5 years, but the first time it's not terribly reassuring.

Whaat rubbish. Why would he anticipate this question. What difference on week in Texas makes. A week ago, Tang wasn't on nayone's radar (if he is now). And if you've listened to him at ll the last 10 months, you know god and Jesus are his go-to comfort zone.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: January 10, 2023, 11:00:11 AM »
I would argue that his response was very calculated

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: January 10, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
He should anticipate questions about job openings because every single successful coach is going to get them. 

Perhaps but that isn't going to make me feel any better  :dubious:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: January 10, 2023, 11:29:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that if Tang decides to go somewhere else, God will provide us another championship-caliber coach. We should do whatever it takes to make sure that never happens, though.

You seem to be ass stricken over the fact that he's a man of faith. Y'all keep shoehorning God in your posts is real goofy behavior.

No, it's probably my favorite thing about him. It's still fun to poke fun sometimes, though.

Yes, what a great way to not have to take responsibility for your decisions. "boy, personally I want to coach at Texas but God wants me at ksu cats so what can I do?"
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: January 10, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »
He should anticipate questions about job openings because every single successful coach is going to get them. 

Perhaps but that isn't going to make me feel any better  :dubious:

It was literally the first time he's fielded the question and he's 2.5 months into his career as a head coach.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: January 10, 2023, 11:37:51 AM »
You can’t win in these situations, he’s handled it well I think.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: January 10, 2023, 11:40:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that if Tang decides to go somewhere else, God will provide us another championship-caliber coach. We should do whatever it takes to make sure that never happens, though.

You seem to be ass stricken over the fact that he's a man of faith. Y'all keep shoehorning God in your posts is real goofy behavior.

No, it's probably my favorite thing about him. It's still fun to poke fun sometimes, though.

Yes, what a great way to not have to take responsibility for your decisions. "boy, personally I want to coach at Texas but God wants me at ksu cats so what can I do?"

Or, and I know this is wild and crazy, his answer was exactly how he felt at the time he was asked. If he left and that's his answer, I agree that it would be horseshit, we made fun of Hugh Freeze for saying something similar after getting the Auburn job, skirting telling us his actual though process. In this case, it's perfectly reasonable that he hasn't given much thought as to why he's going to either leave or stay at his job he's had for less than a year.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: January 10, 2023, 11:40:58 AM »
Add that to the list of stupid media questions, btw. I mean it’s obviously something Gene should be aware of if there are any feelers out there, but just pointless to ask a coach if they’re entertaining another job.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: January 10, 2023, 11:43:16 AM »
Ftr I have absolutely no problem with his answer.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: January 10, 2023, 11:44:23 AM »
It's not a dumb question at all. There's speculation out there, it's fair to see how he responds to the question.  :dunno: They're not doing their jobs if they don't ask. Their shitty, low paying jobs.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: January 10, 2023, 11:54:40 AM »
The dude was at Baylor for a really long time.  To me, that makes it seem like he was very loyal to Scott Drew because he gave him a shot.  The same can probably be said here, KSU gave him his first head coaching chance.  He "seems" like a guy that is going to be loyal....doesn't mean he wouldn't leave in the future, but I can't see him leaving after one year when he's had such great early season success.

Quit worrying for now, dorks.

That's where I'm at, and as others stated he's not leaving midseason, his stock is very high (as it should be) right now but there is a lot of if and buts to go. Also, we did give him a shot, that I think does matter to him unless he is thrown stupid amounts of money.

Also, it doesn't make sense for a school to poach someone from a fairly decent historical program unless it's like to Duke/UNC, and even then I can't see either of those schools making a move midseason on that.

If we end up with 20+ wins, make the tourny, and win a game or two, he'll get a sizeable raise as he should, and that'll make next year interesting, if he repeats the success then I'll worry more about him potentially leaving unless we throw him a ton of money. He'll definitely get more than a 100k raise next year.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: January 10, 2023, 11:55:37 AM »
I'm sure he would rather make more money than less, just like everyone else would. If we pay him fairly, he will stay.

Correct IMO
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6315 on: January 10, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »
You guys are having your Lance Leipold freakout moment. All will be well in Tang Town, at the end of the day.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: January 10, 2023, 12:00:22 PM »
It's not a dumb question at all. There's speculation out there, it's fair to see how he responds to the question.  :dunno: They're not doing their jobs if they don't ask. Their shitty, low paying jobs.
Can you name a time where a coach answered that question directly or honestly?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: January 10, 2023, 12:05:51 PM »

It's a dumb question. The only truly newsworthy answer would be. "My interview is set up for Weds at 3pm, wish me luck".  All other possible answers are just click-bait and not actual journalism. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: January 10, 2023, 12:14:04 PM »
I'm not particularly scared that he's leaving for UT.  I just don't like his response to the question.  It could certainly be that he was just being 100% honest and not giving the coach speak, which is respectable but not reassuring.

I don't think UT is offering an unmatchable load of cash to someone who's coached 15 games. 

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: January 10, 2023, 12:23:29 PM »
i for one, care about what's best for tang. he deserves a better fanbase, one that he doesn't have to beg to come out to the games.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: January 10, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »
ok, i realize that at this moment i'm high asf from Eau De Tang, but like, serious multi-part question:
1. Does Tang legit have a path to success at k-state? As in like, "realistically competing for a natty" level success. I think last night in football it was abundantly clear what it looks like when you have such a disparity in talent, and realistically for any team that will be in the Big12 in the year 2025 that could legit be a 10-15 year process in order to meaningfully close that gap (if it can even be done). But i don't think that disparity exists in college basketball. I don't think teams like Butler make it to the FF in back to back years if that's the case. If it were always chalk then i think it would be a lot more common for the FF to have nothing wlower than a 2 or 3 seed.
2. If Tang DOES have a legit path to success here, and we can pay him a fair wage as compared to his peers and provide him with all the support he believes is necessary to be successful (i.e. well paid assistants, facility upgrades on a reasonable schedule, etc.) then wouldn't it make sense for him to want to stay?

Like idk, maybe this is just chip-on-my-shoulder syndrome, but I would argue that the success of a coach like LHOFHC Liam Synder is more impressive than like, Gene Chizik, for example, even though Chizik has more national titles but he also walked into a well oiled machine.

Maybe that is an incredibly stupid way to think about it. Maybe any coach with half a brain would gladly suck off a homeless drifter if it meant getting the opportunity to coach at a place like UT and the like. But i dunno. I could see the point of view of a coach taking pride in the fact that they can actually hit a home run instead of getting to start on 3rd base. Not to mention you don't have all the political landmines like big swingin weiner donors who have their own ideas about how things should be done.

Offline KSUfaithful

• Fan
  • Why hello there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: January 10, 2023, 12:41:10 PM »
The parity of talent in college basketball is much closer than the talent gap in college football. The opportunity to win a college basketball natty is much more attainable, for most middle tier institutions, than in football. Tang could certainly compete for FFs and a Natty here if he gets the support he needs.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: January 10, 2023, 12:48:40 PM »
i for one, care about what's best for tang. he deserves a better fanbase, one that he doesn't have to beg to come out to the games.

That's probably not Texas then

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: January 10, 2023, 12:56:31 PM »
Baylor won a natty playing in front of 70-80% capacity crowds
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: January 10, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
I really enjoy having a coach other schools want as their coach.