Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893419 times)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6200 on: March 24, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »
I don't know if BC is in a meh stage, UConn definitely isn't. Syracuse is in big trouble. I do think BC, UConn, and UMass can all be good at the same time, it's happened before. It's better for all three programs if they're all good.

UConn is starting to turn around, but nowhere near what it was and has yet to show it can sustain success. BC is floundering in both revenue sports.

But sure, competition does sometimes lift all boats. Probably ought to include Providence in the New England mix, too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: March 24, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »
I don't know if BC is in a meh stage, UConn definitely isn't. Syracuse is in big trouble. I do think BC, UConn, and UMass can all be good at the same time, it's happened before. It's better for all three programs if they're all good.

UConn is starting to turn around, but nowhere near what it was and has yet to show it can sustain success. BC is floundering in both revenue sports.

But sure, competition does sometimes lift all boats. Probably ought to include Providence in the New England mix, too.

Definitely

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: March 24, 2022, 09:15:17 PM »
For those that don’t get the reference:

https://youtu.be/nopWOC4SRm4

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: March 24, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1507089385866645509
Happy for our guy, hope we beat him in the Sweet 16 next year.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: March 25, 2022, 11:49:02 AM »
He already has the House of Pain haircut.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: March 25, 2022, 02:49:06 PM »
Bullet dodged

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: March 25, 2022, 09:55:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1507441512895942664?s=20&t=oHi8jBpNHlKUw7UH3A6hvA

SMU seemed like a lateral move, I didn't really understand it.

That isn't a lateral move at all. The American is a league that will get 4-6 bids every year, CUSA is a 1 bid league. In addition to that SMU has recently had top 30 recruiting classes. North Texas has never even made the team ratings and the highest they've been was the 7 best class in CUSA.

I'm guessing that SMU didn't offer him the job, he'd be a massive fool not to take it if offered. I guarantee whomever they hire will make more than McCasland will at UNT.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: March 25, 2022, 10:11:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1507441512895942664?s=20&t=oHi8jBpNHlKUw7UH3A6hvA

That isn't a lateral move at all. The American is a league that will get 4-6 bids every year, CUSA is a 1 bid league. In addition to that SMU has recently had top 30 recruiting classes. North Texas has never even made the team ratings and the highest they've been was the 7 best class in CUSA.

I'm guessing that SMU didn't offer him the job, he'd be a massive fool not to take it if offered. I guarantee whomever they hire will make more than McCasland will at UNT.

Truth. Not sure McCasland would be able to afford a house in the Park Cities at his current salary.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: March 25, 2022, 10:36:44 PM »

Not saying SMU isn’t the better job, but next year is the last year conference affiliation is one of the factors

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: March 26, 2022, 01:02:43 AM »

Not saying SMU isn’t the better job, but next year is the last year conference affiliation is one of the factors

True, but there will still be a hell of a disparity between those athletic departments and basketball programs.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: March 28, 2022, 10:53:21 AM »
SMU could certainly be a better job but if McCasland likes his roster for next year, it could make sense to maintain his successful program than start over now.  He'll likely have a better shot at P5 opportunities next year by staying put.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: March 28, 2022, 10:57:57 AM »
Did SMU land a coach yet?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: March 28, 2022, 10:59:25 AM »
Did SMU land a coach yet?

Yeah they hired the Georgia State coach

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: March 28, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
SMU could certainly be a better job but if McCasland likes his roster for next year, it could make sense to maintain his successful program than start over now.  He'll likely have a better shot at P5 opportunities next year by staying put.

Who's on the hot seat next year? I don't think anyone in the Big 12 or the SEC with all this year's turnover (except maybe Kentucky). Arizona State, Pitt, Wichita State, Memphis?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: March 28, 2022, 06:29:36 PM »

Who's on the hot seat next year? I don't think anyone in the Big 12 or the SEC with all this year's turnover (except maybe Kentucky). Arizona State, Pitt, Wichita State, Memphis?

The only one of those jobs he could get is Wichita State, but that job won't be open next year, not unless they go like 2-14 in The American.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: March 30, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »
holloway of st peters to seton hall

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: April 21, 2022, 11:51:21 AM »
https://theathletic.com/3259027/2022/04/20/from-shaheen-holloway-at-seton-hall-to-mike-white-at-georgia-tiers-of-power-6-mens-college-basketball-coaching-hires-for-2022/?source=nbatw

Ranked below Holloway, Sean Miller, Jans, Payne, Scheye, Gates, Golden, McMahon, and Willard.  :dubious:

Tier 4
Jerome Tang, Kansas State. Mimicking the Baylor model in the Big 12 is a defensible philosophy. Hiring one of the architects of the Baylor machine is a defensible move. The inflection point is Kansas State deciding to do everything Baylor has done, and continues to do, to keep that machine humming. And, to a lesser extent, how much geography matters in the endeavor; Baylor is located in the Land of Basketball Talent Plenty known as Texas, and Kansas State is, well, not. Tang deserves this shot. He’s been extremely picky, too, so we have to surmise there’s something he sees here to convince him it was time to leave Waco after two decades. Postseason success is not ancient history here — 10 NCAA Tournament appearances between 2008 and 2019 — but this is a rebuild, full stop, in a blast furnace of a league with a first-time head coach leading the way. A lot could go right. A lot could go wrong.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: April 21, 2022, 01:07:41 PM »
If they think KSU is inherently hamstrung in recruiting then I don’t see how any coaching hire would ever get us above that tier.