Author Topic: BOATS!!  (Read 11550 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: BOATS!!
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2022, 09:44:07 PM »
EDIT: I will use this thing probably 5 times a week on a slow week, and double that on a busy week, for 2.5 months in the summer annually.

Pete, I’m curious your process for this on a busy week? Seems like it might not be possible.
Fish bite best at dawn and dusk.  I might go out for 30 minutes twice a day. Or cruises in evening with dogs.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2022, 12:38:41 AM »
BOAT

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2022, 09:38:06 AM »
EDIT: I will use this thing probably 5 times a week on a slow week, and double that on a busy week, for 2.5 months in the summer annually.

Pete, I’m curious your process for this on a busy week? Seems like it might not be possible.
Fish bite best at dawn and dusk.  I might go out for 30 minutes twice a day. Or cruises in evening with dogs.
Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes and no fish.  :lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2022, 09:39:36 AM »
I have a little cabin on a little lake in Minnesota, so that the dock is just my dock. I'll have to get a canopy/boat lift too.  My in-laws have a couple cabins on this same lake, and teach me all that junk.  They have a service that comes and pulls the docks and boats out and stores the boats in October, and then puts it all back in the spring.  So, I'm pretty locked in on all that stuff.

In that case, relatively splurge on the boat. Here, all that crap is where the cost adds up.

That's what I am thinking.  YOLO!

in that case i would go deck boat instead of pontoon boat

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »
nvm, i don't know what i'm talking about. there are some pontoon boats with giant gross round cylinder things, and some other pontoon boats that have like a twin V hull thing and are way less derpy looking. boat people, do these have different names?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2022, 09:48:27 AM »
Pete if you do go pontoon route do not get a shorter one because they are choppy AF on the water compared to a longer one. Nothing shorter than a 24 footer if you're worried about the ride.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2022, 10:32:30 AM »
Pete, permission requested to be an honorary first mate.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
I think you are locked on a tooner (nautical term).  Engines are just not expensive for them, relatively.  You will be grossed out by an old tooner.  Get a clean one owner tri

get a lift for god's sake

Offline yachtbroker

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2022, 11:48:41 AM »
I am starting my research for a boat purchase this coming spring and would appreciate input for you seamen on what I should get.

I intend to keep my boat on the same lake, never need a trailer. I expect that for the next 3 or 4 summers I will use it for 50% cruising around, 30% fishing and 20% pulling someone on something (mostly tubes, occasionally a skier on basic 2 skis not wake or slalom).

A few members of my family don’s get around too well, so I am a very strong toward a pontoon…super easy to board from the dock and stable on water.  I highly value a reliably starting motor, and I definitely want a 4 stroke EFI.

I also want to try and keep this well under $20K, so that rules out new boats.  I think I probably either need a 5-10 year old boat/motor, or a an even older boat with a new motor.

Should I go old ass rough boat with fancy new motor (Millennium Falcon, got it where it counts), or nicer boat with older motor?

Inventory is tight, but I'll work some magic.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
I am starting my research for a boat purchase this coming spring and would appreciate input for you seamen on what I should get.

I intend to keep my boat on the same lake, never need a trailer. I expect that for the next 3 or 4 summers I will use it for 50% cruising around, 30% fishing and 20% pulling someone on something (mostly tubes, occasionally a skier on basic 2 skis not wake or slalom).

A few members of my family don’s get around too well, so I am a very strong toward a pontoon…super easy to board from the dock and stable on water.  I highly value a reliably starting motor, and I definitely want a 4 stroke EFI.

I also want to try and keep this well under $20K, so that rules out new boats.  I think I probably either need a 5-10 year old boat/motor, or a an even older boat with a new motor.

Should I go old ass rough boat with fancy new motor (Millennium Falcon, got it where it counts), or nicer boat with older motor?

Inventory is tight, but I'll work some magic.

eff yeah.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2022, 01:51:08 PM »
I have a little cabin on a little lake in Minnesota, so that the dock is just my dock. I'll have to get a canopy/boat lift too.  My in-laws have a couple cabins on this same lake, and teach me all that junk.  They have a service that comes and pulls the docks and boats out and stores the boats in October, and then puts it all back in the spring.  So, I'm pretty locked in on all that stuff.
are there any limits on boat length, displacement or horsepower on your lake?  If there are not the monster boats up there like you see on lake of the ozarks I think you are on the right track with a pontoon.

If you have skiers and wakeboarders I would not go less than 150 hp and one option is to find a nice used toon that was on a HP limited lake and repower with a new outboard- this gives you a warranty on the most expensive part of the boat but keeps your cost down and you can beat up a used boat as you learn to dock it.

Pontoons & Tritoons are the worst handling boats due as wind pushes them around much more than other boats so banging around a 10 year old boat with a new motor seems like the best option for a new boat owner.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2022, 03:14:41 PM »
here is a $15k pontoon in Belton with a 25 hp on it but you could repower with up to a 200
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2011-harris-cruiser-220-fx-8485268/

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2022, 05:25:04 PM »
here is a $15k pontoon in Belton with a 25 hp on it but you could repower with up to a 200
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2011-harris-cruiser-220-fx-8485268/

That's a great example of what I'd like to do.   :thumbs:  I'll buy one up there, there's a ton more inventory and I don't want to have to tow it all the way up. I'd rather get a Suzuki or Yamaha engine, but Honda or Mercury would be fine I guess if they were new.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »
Driving a boat up into the dock and into the pickup hitch is really hard

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2022, 05:38:58 PM »
Driving a boat up into the dock and into the pickup hitch is really hard

It's rough ridin' horrible.  If I do this correctly, I may never ever personally deal with this boat on a trailer.  Buy it and pay to have it put into the water on my lake, then annually pay someone to pull it out and store it for the winter / bring it back in the spring.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2022, 08:54:46 PM »
what are you going to name this beast?

i love naming things but the pressure can be debilitating

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2022, 09:07:39 PM »
what are you going to name this beast?

i love naming things but the pressure can be debilitating

Definitely.

I can’t believe the video of that whole scene isn’t online somewhere.

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQPAfHB61Dc

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2022, 11:55:14 PM »
Slip life
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
MN-oh

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »
Pete's Sake
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
that’s a good one

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2022, 10:25:54 AM »
Beaver Trap

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
Paid for by goEMAW
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2022, 12:47:39 PM »
Premium Dividends

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile