Poll

Will the "cool" Pinstripe Bowl K-State be on the new field at BSFS?

Yes . . . it's cool.  Currie Prevails.
NO . . . OB Wins again.

Author Topic: BSFS Expansion Thread  (Read 3994398 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #11325 on: January 15, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
Yeah Ive heard the building code story.  Yet, in buildings constructed since OOD, I've not seen such massive and white aisles.  And codes have gotten tighter, not more lax, since the 80s.  Take SCenter as an example.  Aisles are half the width and are black. 

So

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: January 15, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
i have no problem with the aisles aesthetically (honestly wouldn't even notice them if it weren't such a talking point here).  if it's holding back other :kstategrad: improvements or whatever then narrow them i guess

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
Yeah Ive heard the building code story.  Yet, in buildings constructed since OOD, I've not seen such massive and white aisles.  And codes have gotten tighter, not more lax, since the 80s.  Take SCenter as an example.  Aisles are half the width and are black. 

So

Lower seating level of the SC only has 30 rows, the Bram has 40 rows. All this egress stuff is based on how far someone has to travel to an exit and how many people you have per exit.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: January 15, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

So

Ah, but those other places are not located in the progressive county in which KSU is located.  Where the codes are numerous, and enforcement is carried out.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »

So

Lower seating level of the SC only has 30 rows, the Bram has 40 rows. All this egress stuff is based on how far someone has to travel to an exit and how many people you have per exit.

Awesome, an architecture dude (I assume) explains the issue.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: January 15, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
The egress thing makes sense, but there have to be other examples that disprove that, though. I mean I have been to like 400 different basketball arenas across these fifty nifty and I've never seen it. Before I get a good old fashioned dax-style beatdown, let it be know that I really don't care though, I just think the aisle width thing is funny and odd. This is not nearly as big of a deal to me as the mismatched turf. BUT it is very noticeable and funny-looking on TV.

OOD? More like ODD.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline geesiskryst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »

So

I think the aisles issue is a combination of excess and bad placement.

The seating areas are approx. 18 seats wide meaning a maximum of 9 seats away from an aisle. I'm pretty sure you can go upwards of 12 seats away from an aisle or 24 seats wide while maintaining the same width of aisle. This coupled with bleachers (narrower seats) at bramlage (at least opposite the camera) vs. chairbacks at sprint, means wider seating areas in comparison to the aisle width.

Also, it was not well thought out to locate an aisle at midcourt. The aisles are more noticeable as it is front and center.

In regards to the paint on the stairs. I'm pretty sure the only area of the stair that is required to be visually distinctive is the nosing of the stair while descending. Pretty sure the risers don't have to be painted a different color unless the heights are not uniform.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: January 15, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
shrink the aisles! widen the councourse! shrink the aisles! widen the concourse! :lol:

you guys are too much sometimes. those things would be like 21 and 22 on my list of things to be concerned about re: the bram

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »

So

Awesome, an architecture dude (I assume) explains the issue.

Close, engineer. But, we see this stuff all the time. The other thing playing into this is that the building code does leave some room for interpretation on issues like this. Often the ones enforcing the code will play it conservative when there is room for interpretation. Some jurisdictions are more willing accept the design teams interpretation.

I'm not saying the seating could not be reconfigured for the better, there's just more at play than, "it looks bad on tv." In, fact the aisle placement drives me nuts, but its kind of locked in one side due to the loge boxes. Honestly, I'd like to see us have to drop big $ on the bram. Lose a few rows, and more boxes and widen the concourse, raise the roof and add a few rows in an upper level with ribbon board around the edge. I think by the time you deal with the code issues you just wait until you're ready for the seating reconfig to be part of a larger budget project.

But first things first, our concourse is painted CMU block, cmu.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
The aisles are holding us back from being all that we can

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »

you guys are too much sometimes. those things would be like 21 and 22 on my list of things to be concerned about re: the bram

well, yeah. 

but, since it's the subject at hand... 

in reality, the only interior necessities are fixing the tunnell/tarp debacle and HD video boards.   

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: January 15, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
I want the best acoustical engineer to go to a game at Allen and figure out how loud they turn up Thunderstruck then design a system that is +1db louder

Offline geesiskryst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »

well, yeah. 

but, since it's the subject at hand... 

in reality, the only interior necessities are fixing the tunnell/tarp debacle and HD video boards.   

What about a video tarp?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:24 PM »
I want the best acoustical engineer to go to a game at Allen and figure out how loud they turn up Thunderstruck then design a system that is +1db louder

Bramlage RFP-Sounnd System:

Requirement 1:  System must be capable of being +1db louder than Thunderstruck (Angus Mckinnon Young, Leonard Niehaus, Malcolm Mitchell Young, Ronald Belford Scott, Jorge A. Patrono, Isaac B. Jenkins, Angus Young, Malcolm Young
Copyright: Warner-barham Music LLC, Bruton Music Ltd., Albert J Son Pty Publ Ltd., Killer Tracks, J Albert And Son Pty Ltd.)  When played at Allen Fieldhouse University of Kansas.  db rating should still allow acceptable Harmonic Distortion parameters available in Section: 2.1.1.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: January 15, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »
BSFS Expansion Thread guys
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11340 on: January 15, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »

shrink the aisles! widen the councourse! shrink the aisles! widen the concourse! :lol:

Ya. At least 21 and 22 for me here, too. I barely at all give a crap about widened concourses. Very weird thing to care about. I guess it means we'd have more room to set up tables and give out Joe Leonard trading cards?

(Tarp is definitely #1. Fix it immediately. Needs to be 3x bigger.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11341 on: January 15, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
In fact I'm gonna need a rendo from a 'shop guru of the OOD with the aisles widened significantly and the tarp enlarged. And the court needs to be a little Briggs'ier. Tia.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: January 15, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »
Speaking of aisles (we should at least paint them in the fOOD so they don't stick out so much), widen the aisles in BSFS so we can close in the north without adding too much capacity. Then if we need more seating than that down the road, we can build up w/ an upper deck on the SEZ.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: January 15, 2014, 04:10:37 PM »
@TheGame1350
Today: KSU AD @John_Currie at 5:10 to talk facilities,

somebody listen to 1350 at five and provide a summary. tia.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

:thumbsup:
bears are fast...

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11345 on: January 15, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »

@TheGame1350

- Today's approval is just a go ahead to move the process forward. Nothing decided yet.
- Logistical challenge for Vanier because it is a working building.
- WSC was a three-year process, not just one year from demolition to opening

So far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: January 15, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »

@TheGame1350

More from ADJC
- New sound system at Tointon being installed in June
- Probably don't need 6K seats at Tointon, but continue to make sure baseball has the best/right  facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11347 on: January 15, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
Missed the first few minutes but here's what I heard

Q.  When will it be started?
A.  Blah blah blah it's complicated blah blah blah took us 3 years to do WSC blah blah blah but we'll be aggressive blah blah

Q.  Have you looked at other schools for this phase like you did with WSC?
A.  Looking to maintain the family environment of NEZ, maybe even today we looked at places ;) -- QUICK SOMEONE SEE WHERE THE UNIVERSITY PLANE WENT TODAY

Q.  What needs to happen at Tointon?
A.  New sound system being installed, excited, added cat cushions to bleacher seats, had best ever advance sales for baseball, approaching 1000 sold season tickets, going to continue to evaluate options for Tointon, don't need 6k seats probably, but we're gonna continue to enhance the facility in logical ways to benefit our athletes, Brad Hill is all about student-athlete preparation, our baseball program is enviable because it has it's own weight room, their own indoor facility, and a nice new field helps out w/ Feb and March games

Q.  You're on your way to NCAA convention, top story lines about BCS schools and stipend, etc., what will you be most dialed in on?
A.  Going to do a lot of listenings, issues in college athletics are not insurmountable, there's a lot more great things in college sports than there are bad things, Schulz one of 7 presidents leading a steering committee trying to bring a streamlined process to management structure, model being floated over the next several days, no decision -- challenge because there's 350 schools all with diff budgets and priorities, we don't want any breakaways because it is cool to have Bryant beat Arky at Tointon, KSU advance, WSU, etc., different institutions all create that great environment, got to make sure there's more autonomy for schools that need to do some things, whether enhancing the value of the scholarships, those schools that are in a different boat than other schools (he pretty much said "all schools are equal but some schools are more equal than others")
emaw

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: January 15, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
We should raise the roof on the Bram 20ft and add 2 levels of luxury suit boxes. Modernize the concourse below.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: January 15, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »
We should raise the roof on the Bram 20ft and add 2 levels of luxury suit boxes. Modernize the concourse below.

We can't fill it as it is.