Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5519033 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #24775 on: June 26, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
really all i want is some guys will long, beautiful dreads flowing out of the back of a helmet with a powerkatz on it, it's all i've wanted my entire life

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24776 on: June 26, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Our commits are mostly puds, but at least we're gobbling them up fast i guess?

I think it's a nice mix of puds and studs
If by "nice mix" you mean like 3 studs and the rest puds then yeah we're mixing the ever living crap out of this

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24777 on: June 26, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

If by "nice mix" you mean like 3 studs and the rest puds then yeah we're mixing the ever living crap out of this

I have a lower studs' standard

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24778 on: June 26, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
his face looks like a bowl of mashed potatoes and he is from North Dakota.  Do you really think this dink can recruit?  please

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24779 on: June 26, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
P5 offers:

2018: 23 players. Illinois (3), Iowa State (2), KU (4), Ole Miss, UVA, Rutgers (2), Syracuse (2), WVU (2), Arizona State, Mizzou, Texas, Texas Tech (3), Louisville (2), Oregon State, Arizona, South Carolina, TCU, Wake Forest, WSU, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Purdue

2020: 17 players. KU (6), Maryland, Minnesota (2), Rutgers, Iowa State, Arizona, Oregon State, Colorado (2), VA Tech, Wisconsin, Arkansas (3), Illinois, Missouri (2), Nebraska, Oklahoma State, WVU, Syracuse.

Keep in mind, quite a few of the players from 2018 with nicer offer lists have left the team. I think retention a far worse problem than recruiting.
we signed 3 players in 2018 who had offers from Texas? Holy Shi
i can think of one but THREE!!!  no wonder we suck we shouldn't be taking UT recruits

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24780 on: June 26, 2019, 02:08:06 PM »

IMO Nate Matlack Jeremiah Harris and Talor Warner will likely finish as 5.7 guys.   I put Vaughn and Mozee into stud status based on their athletic ability.  JoJo Wilson and Sonn are both studs IMO based on film and other offers.   Hayes I think is on the borderline of stud due to his speed and length.  That is nearly half the class.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24781 on: June 26, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
i'll wait to judge until i see how many burners this class has @pissclams

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24782 on: June 26, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
getting so many so early should help with 2021

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #24783 on: June 26, 2019, 08:38:14 PM »
P5 offers:

2018: 23 players. Illinois (3), Iowa State (2), KU (4), Ole Miss, UVA, Rutgers (2), Syracuse (2), WVU (2), Arizona State, Mizzou, Texas, Texas Tech (3), Louisville (2), Oregon State, Arizona, South Carolina, TCU, Wake Forest, WSU, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Purdue

2020: 17 players. KU (6), Maryland, Minnesota (2), Rutgers, Iowa State, Arizona, Oregon State, Colorado (2), VA Tech, Wisconsin, Arkansas (3), Illinois, Missouri (2), Nebraska, Oklahoma State, WVU, Syracuse.

Keep in mind, quite a few of the players from 2018 with nicer offer lists have left the team. I think retention a far worse problem than recruiting.
we signed 3 players in 2018 who had offers from Texas? Holy Shi
i can think of one but THREE!!!  no wonder we suck we shouldn't be taking UT recruits

you're looking at the TTU number

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24784 on: June 27, 2019, 07:16:56 AM »

This.

Studs or puds.....who knows?  But their rankings are almost identical to what we got under Snyder.

I guess it’s better to get them early, but I’m really not even sure about that either.

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24785 on: June 27, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »

This.

Studs or puds.....who knows?  But their rankings are almost identical to what we got under Snyder.

I guess it’s better to get them early, but I’m really not even sure about that either.

As I posted earlier, our current 247 composite ranking is higher than any Snyder class.  Likewise, I think it is logical that getting kids you saw in camp is way better than waiting until Dec-Jan to pick over whatever is left.  Sometimes kids blow up their senior year, but I would guess most P5 players were great as juniors and kicked-butt at college camps.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24786 on: June 27, 2019, 08:08:52 AM »

This.

As I posted earlier, our current 247 composite ranking is higher than any Snyder class.  Likewise, I think it is logical that getting kids you saw in camp is way better than waiting until Dec-Jan to pick over whatever is left.  Sometimes kids blow up their senior year, but I would guess most P5 players were great as juniors and kicked-butt at college camps.

The ranking is due to quantity, not quality.  Based on the current quality (or, perceived quality by ranking services) of the guys we have, I would expect our ranking to end up pretty much where it was under Snyder once all the recruiting is complete

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24787 on: June 27, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
i kind of agree with Steffy, i just hope the 2021 class doesn't suck as much crap when the staff has had a full cycle to work with.

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24788 on: June 27, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »

This.

The ranking is due to quantity, not quality.  Based on the current quality (or, perceived quality by ranking services) of the guys we have, I would expect our ranking to end up pretty much where it was under Snyder once all the recruiting is complete

No, our composite rating (eg weighted average score of each recruit) is 0.8436 higher than any Snyder  class.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24789 on: June 27, 2019, 09:36:42 AM »
It would be nice to snag a few 4* guys (or have them get a bump in rating), but otherwise not sure what was expected. It was a legit concern that we would be getting complete nobodies. That's not the case.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24790 on: June 27, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »

This.

No, our composite rating (eg weighted average score of each recruit) is 0.8436 higher than any Snyder  class.

Going to the second (or third?) decimal point seems like splitting hairs to me.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24791 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
It would be nice to snag a few 4* guys (or have them get a bump in rating), but otherwise not sure what was expected. It was a legit concern that we would be getting complete nobodies. That's not the case.

Talk about a low bar!

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24792 on: June 27, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »

Talk about a low bar!
I'm just saying anyone upset at this point is kind of dumb. The biggest concern with the hire has always been the ability to recruit. So far he's shown to be able to recruit with our peers. If you thought it was gonna be OU, UT, KSU and then everybody else... I don't know what to tell you.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24793 on: June 27, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »

Talk about a low bar!
I'm just saying anyone upset at this point is kind of dumb. The biggest concern with the hire has always been the ability to recruit. So far he's shown to be able to recruit with our peers. If you thought it was gonna be OU, UT, KSU and then everybody else... I don't know what to tell you.
Who are our peers that he's recruiting well against? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24794 on: June 27, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »

Talk about a low bar!
That's not what I said. For the most part we're basically on par with the rest of the conference sans OU, UT. Did you expect more? Disappointment is set up by expectations, so I'm sure anyone dumb enough to think Klieman was going to light it up on the recruiting trail is disappointed. I'm not.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24795 on: June 27, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »

Talk about a low bar!
That's not what I said. For the most part we're basically on par with the rest of the conference sans OU, UT. Did you expect more? Disappointment is set up by expectations, so I'm sure anyone dumb enough to think Klieman was going to light it up on the recruiting trail is disappointed. I'm not.
I misspoke.  I mean who do you think he's keeping up with in terms of recruiting so far?  Without looking, I think we're on par with KU and better than Tech.  Like, I'm pretty sure we're probably behind everyone else on a prospect by prospect basis.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24796 on: June 27, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »

Talk about a low bar!
I misspoke.  I mean who do you think he's keeping up with in terms of recruiting so far?  Without looking, I think we're on par with KU and better than Tech.  Like, I'm pretty sure we're probably behind everyone else on a prospect by prospect basis.
I'm not gonna dissect each player, but our average recruit rating is pretty close to most of the other 7 in the conference. Certainly close enough that development and attrition are bigger factors than athletic ability.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24797 on: June 27, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
He put together a Snyder-esque class months before Snyder did.  I think it gives us the opportunity to go after a few 4* longshots instead of trying to play catch up as recruiting goes on.  I hope recruiting will improve over CK's tenure but think we're in a pretty decent spot prior to him ever putting a team on the field.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24798 on: June 27, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »
outside of OT I’m not sure what there is to legitimately complain about.  The corners we have are very solid, RB might need a power back but we have some legit prospects still on the board.  Jeremiah Harris is going to be an elite LB and Hayes will be good.  Talor Warner and Triplette at DT are P5 level players.  Matlack is a very good DE prospect.  Shields and Panzer are basically carbon copies of the OL bodies we have had inside forever.   Will Howard is a P5 level QB to sit behind 3 other solid options at QB.  I suppose the WR and S position lack much star power but we took a healthy amount of quality prospects for those in 19.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24799 on: June 27, 2019, 02:37:22 PM »
He put together a Snyder-esque class months before Snyder did.  I think it gives us the opportunity to go after a few 4* longshots instead of trying to play catch up as recruiting goes on.  I hope recruiting will improve over CK's tenure but think we're in a pretty decent spot prior to him ever putting a team on the field.

Totally fair.  Let's see how it plays out this fall with this recruiting class and then next year.