Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5519398 times)

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #24750 on: June 24, 2019, 03:05:07 PM »
The impression I’m getting on some of these kids is our coaches (Malone primarily) are trying to get Kansas State back into the minds of the top Texas high schools. Offer and go hard after a bunch of their fringe P5 guys now hoping it opens doors to the bigger cruits in the next few years

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24752 on: June 24, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
The impression I’m getting on some of these kids is our coaches (Malone primarily) are trying to get Kansas State back into the minds of the top Texas high schools. Offer and go hard after a bunch of their fringe P5 guys now hoping it opens doors to the bigger cruits in the next few years
wondering same thing. trying to grease the skids a little for a better reception next year and after. problem is its a very risky tactic. You end up with a lot of mediocre fb players for quite some time.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24753 on: June 24, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
wondering same thing. trying to grease the skids a little for a better reception next year and after. problem is its a very risky tactic. You end up with a lot of mediocre fb players for quite some time.
They aren't doing that.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24754 on: June 24, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24755 on: June 24, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »
Alex Conn to Nebraska

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24756 on: June 24, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
I watched this kids HUDL film and while he might be unranked for football skils right now, he's already a solid four-star crap-talker.

Very underrated part of the game.  For my reference, how many stars did Josh Buhl have?

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24757 on: June 24, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
Alex Conn to Nebraska
the juco kid Gamble the #1 OL on their board committed to WVU today. So I believe they got none of their top OLs.
the braun kid is still uncommitted but got a FSU offer the other day. so i'm thinking the OL recruiting needs some introspection

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24758 on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:33 AM »
Kleiman recruiting almost the exact same guys we got with Snyder, except with much more effort and expense.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24759 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
Kleiman recruiting almost the exact same guys we got with Snyder, except with much more effort and expense.

He is getting them earlier.  Assuming he locks them in, I think it frees us up to go after some higher rated longshots instead of worrying about getting bodies later in the process.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24760 on: June 25, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
Higher average rating so far, but admittedly by an amount that would be ridiculous to argue. But considering he has virtually nothing to sell, while Snyder had lots of bowl games, Hall of Fame coach, etc, I think it's a good sign. Ultimately, about 6-8 of the Big 12 will have pretty similar classes, so it really does have a lot to do with evaluation/development/DITR/etc.

If he can knock out a few decent/good seasons and show positive momentum, you'd like to think that would help. But, we'll always be in that 6-8 team range either way.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24761 on: June 25, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »
It's almost a completely new staff too.  Assuming he's the coach everyone says he is, he's proven to have a system that works, can beat teams with more talent, but guys in the league, etc.  Sucks the state of Kansas has a big crop of o-linemen we're missing out on tho.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24762 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
Zero chance I go back and compare, but it also seems like the guys we are getting have more, and better quality, offers.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24763 on: June 25, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
A lot of new hire coaches are able to excel in recruiting even without the on-field results.  That isn't happening.  I feel expectations are already starting to get lowered for Klieman.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24764 on: June 25, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
Zero chance I go back and compare, but it also seems like the guys we are getting have more, and better quality, offers.

Not really. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #24765 on: June 25, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
A lot of new hire coaches are able to excel in recruiting even without the on-field results.  That isn't happening.  I feel expectations are already starting to get lowered for Klieman.
Jesus, Steffy. WTF are you talking about? This is the highest rated class we've had this early in the recruiting season in like 20 years.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24766 on: June 25, 2019, 09:14:25 AM »

Not really.
I guess the burdon of proof is on you here.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24767 on: June 25, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
Jesus, Steffy. WTF are you talking about? This is the highest rated class we've had this early in the recruiting season in like 20 years.

Big 12 is still the 4th best P5 conference.  We shouldn't be surprised if we lose prospects to teams from ACC, big 10, and SEC.  I mean Chubba could have stayed home in a great state and play for a school with arguably the prettiest women and best party scene in the U.S.  He chose Louisville (lil' bro to Kentucky) who has a first year head coach and had already received a verbal commitment from another QB recruit.  Big 12 passed on Louisville during conference realignment time.  Chubba understands the ACC is as high as it has ever been in athletics, and an argument could be made that they are surpassing the SEC.  We probably never stood a chance.         
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24768 on: June 25, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »

Big 12 is still the 4th best P5 conference.  We shouldn't be surprised if we lose prospects to teams from ACC, big 10, and SEC.  I mean Chubba could have stayed home in a great state and play for a school with arguably the prettiest women and best party scene in the U.S.  He chose Louisville (lil' bro to Kentucky) who has a first year head coach and had already received a verbal commitment from another QB recruit.  Big 12 passed on Louisville during conference realignment time.  Chubba understands the ACC is as high as it has ever been in athletics, and an argument could be made that they are surpassing the SEC.  We probably never stood a chance.       
dont agree. The ACC is nothing without Clemson. and i don't think clemson being good is elevating the rest of the league outside of other schools just telling recruits they get to play clemson.
i think the city of manhattan hurts our recruiting a little bit as there are no attractions other than the school. no night life.
i also think other schools have gone to younger coaches who always seem to excel in recruiting.
klieman is a little old compared to these young guns and although i think he's probably going to be a decent coach, i don't think he measures up in a popularity contest to the younger coaches in relating to recruits.
recruits like cocky coaches who talk a big story even if the results on the field don't match. See minnesota. see louisville. see nebraska

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24769 on: June 25, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
I mean since 2013 the ACC has 6 National Championships combined in football and men’s basketball.  That is 6 more than the Big 12.  That does not include appearances where they lost. How is that not obvious for a P5 recruit?  2005 Texas and 2007 Jayhawks say hi though. 

OU and Texas will always be getting 4* and 5* kids, and OSU will land the occasional T. Boone special.  The rest of the Big 12 gets to fight for underrated 3* kids.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24770 on: June 25, 2019, 10:48:01 PM »

i think the city of manhattan hurts our recruiting a little bit as there are no attractions other than the school. no night life.

Spoken like someone who hasn't even been to Zar Bar or Drinx, SMDH
:adios:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #24771 on: June 26, 2019, 12:05:28 AM »
P5 offers:

2018: 23 players. Illinois (3), Iowa State (2), KU (4), Ole Miss, UVA, Rutgers (2), Syracuse (2), WVU (2), Arizona State, Mizzou, Texas, Texas Tech (3), Louisville (2), Oregon State, Arizona, South Carolina, TCU, Wake Forest, WSU, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Purdue

2020: 17 players. KU (6), Maryland, Minnesota (2), Rutgers, Iowa State, Arizona, Oregon State, Colorado (2), VA Tech, Wisconsin, Arkansas (3), Illinois, Missouri (2), Nebraska, Oklahoma State, WVU, Syracuse.

Keep in mind, quite a few of the players from 2018 with nicer offer lists have left the team. I think retention a far worse problem than recruiting.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24772 on: June 26, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
2017 attrition also hilariously bad. I think only 1/3rd of the kids we signed that year are still the roster.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24773 on: June 26, 2019, 09:01:46 AM »
Our commits are mostly puds, but at least we're gobbling them up fast i guess?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24774 on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:59 AM »
Our commits are mostly puds, but at least we're gobbling them up fast i guess?

I think it's a nice mix of puds and studs