Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 3515401 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #24575 on: June 14, 2019, 12:42:53 AM »
we had 4 recruits at this time last year. and wow, half our class last year were 2 stars. :blindfold:

im liking this new guy.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24576 on: June 14, 2019, 03:22:43 AM »
stunted
we had 4 recruits at this time last year. and wow, half our class last year were 2 stars. :blindfold:

im liking this new guy.

according to some on here that makes you a traitor to KSU

Slowly and with feeling, tell these AZZWholes to go back to the depths of stupidity from whence they came.
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24577 on: June 14, 2019, 07:32:55 AM »
stunted

im liking this new guy.

Slowly and with feeling, tell these AZZWholes to go back to the depths of stupidity from whence they came.
posted at 3:22 AM

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • SP? all of that--->
    • View Profile
« Reply #24578 on: June 14, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
pissclams

what i'd like to know from you and others is why breaking down game films is the best way to prepare for an opponent?

Simple example of the kind of thing you look for in 1st viewing of opponent:

a team we played ran an RPO out of a base Veer set. They also used I and other sets but Veer was base. The left halfback was their main back, he'd also drop into the Tailback position in the I or single in shotgun set.

He always came out of a 3 point stance and we noticed that where his right hand (the one of the ground) was set indicated which direction and which hole he was headed for --- straight in front of right foot it was a dive off tackle, hand slightly to the right of his foot indicated he was going wide left or for flair pass, slightly to the left of his foot he was headed right as second option or again a flair pass.We're talking about no more than 1 1/2-2 inches either way.

Oddly enough he didn't score a TD that game. I ran a modified 53 defense against that team and the MLB was back an extra 2 yds; his first read was the hand of the TB, then shift slightly (1/2 step sideways) to the opposite of where the "film" indicated the TB was going to go. The DE had out-to-in contain and the OLB crashed down inside of DE leaving MLB and corner to make the tackle, unless the DE and/or OLB got there first.

For a bigger picture, if you've got 10 minutes or so, go to   https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/12/11/18135990/can-chris-klieman-duplicate-bison-dominance-at-kansas-state-north-dakota-state

This is stupid and won’t work. I’d dominate you on the football octagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24579 on: June 14, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »
stunted

im liking this new guy.

posted at 3:22 AM
‘Clams is really committing to this one
:adios:

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24580 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »

Amazing how many AZZhats live here.  When you've been where I've been, you'd know that pulling your head out of your azz is a good thing and not dangerous at all.

You and the Sooner wagon you rode in on.

1st, I said it was a 1st read of the "film." 2nd it worked very well. We beat them by 21 points. I'm sorry that you have No Clue as to the purpose of breaking down film.

But, hey, I've been doing this since 1960 which in no way compares with your expert knowledge ------ well, except maybe the fact that three of the coaches I grew up around were Hall of Fame Coaches.

I BOW to your Superior knowledge. He said while taking another swig of his whiskey.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:09:10 AM by catbacker 73 »

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24581 on: June 14, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »

Amazing how many AZZhats live here.  When you've been where I've been, you'd know that pulling your head out of your azz is a good thing and not dangerous at all.

You and the Sooner wagon you rode in on.

1st, I said it was a 1st read of the "film." 2nd it worked very well. We beat them by 21 points. I'm sorry that you have No Clue as to the purpose of breaking down film.

But, hey, I've been doing this since 1960 which in no way compares with your expert knowledge ------ well, except maybe the fact that three of the coaches I grew up around were Hall of Fame Coaches.

I BOW to your Superior knowledge. He said while taking another swig of his whiskey.
sorry not trying to judge but posting at 330 am, claiming to be an old, and drinking whiskey before noon? your name wouldnt happen to be Ted would it?

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24582 on: June 14, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
sorry not trying to judge but posting at 330 am, claiming to be an old, and drinking whiskey before noon? your name wouldnt happen to be Ted would it?

Nope, but to borrow a line, it's always 5:00 pm somewhere every hour.

Actually, now that I am retired, my day starts a 12:00pm --- 1:00pm and goes until I crash. Besides, Beam Honey + add-on makes for a type of Super Mead. And Nothing is better than Mead, well, except Super Mead.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24583 on: June 14, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
I hope treysolid comes in here and kicks all of your asses for wrecking this thread. Shame on everyone.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24584 on: June 14, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »
wetwillie
I hope treysolid comes in here and kicks all of your asses for wrecking this thread. Shame on everyone.

You cannot believe how ashamed I am. Mostly for SD's lack of knowledge.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24585 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »
pissclams

what i'd like to know from you and others is why breaking down game films is the best way to prepare for an opponent?

Simple example of the kind of thing you look for in 1st viewing of opponent:

a team we played ran an RPO out of a base Veer set. They also used I and other sets but Veer was base. The left halfback was their main back, he'd also drop into the Tailback position in the I or single in shotgun set.

He always came out of a 3 point stance and we noticed that where his right hand (the one of the ground) was set indicated which direction and which hole he was headed for --- straight in front of right foot it was a dive off tackle, hand slightly to the right of his foot indicated he was going wide left or for flair pass, slightly to the left of his foot he was headed right as second option or again a flair pass.We're talking about no more than 1 1/2-2 inches either way.

Oddly enough he didn't score a TD that game. I ran a modified 53 defense against that team and the MLB was back an extra 2 yds; his first read was the hand of the TB, then shift slightly (1/2 step sideways) to the opposite of where the "film" indicated the TB was going to go. The DE had out-to-in contain and the OLB crashed down inside of DE leaving MLB and corner to make the tackle, unless the DE and/or OLB got there first.

For a bigger picture, if you've got 10 minutes or so, go to   https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/12/11/18135990/can-chris-klieman-duplicate-bison-dominance-at-kansas-state-north-dakota-state

There is a lot to unpack here.

I know that there is a tremendous number of ways to discuss the same concepts.  But...

What is a “veer” set?

This RB was always in a 3 point stance? Even in gun and I sets?

How was your mlb able to discern these less than an inch hand placement variations?

Why did you move the MLB away from the key?

Was this modified 5-3 like 3-3 stack with inverted safeties?

What were your speed option fits like?

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #24586 on: June 14, 2019, 09:37:51 PM »
catbacker73, i'd like to hear your thoughts on each of our current commits for the 2020 class (3-4 sentences per recruit)

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24587 on: June 15, 2019, 05:58:48 AM »
Veer set is a halfback on the inside shoulder of the tackle about 3-4 yards deep. left HB on inside shoulder of LT and RH on inside shoulder of RT. QB under center or in shotgun.

QB's 1st read is DE to the side play is going.
If DE crashes inside then pull ball and and QB reads OLB/CB and decides to cut up inside or pitch to offside TB trailing.

You can run the same thing in the Diamond set NDSU ran under Messingham but then you have several more options with the Diamond back. Almost like Full House T or Single Wing. This puts the outside contain man on an island and either the OLB or Corner has to commit which opens up swing pass or wheel route.   

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24588 on: June 15, 2019, 06:13:34 AM »
Why did you move the MLB away from the key?

To make it easier for OLB, CB, and DE to carry out their assignments, and hopefully allow the MLB to clean up. Trouble was that OLB, CB and DE were able to stuff the left TB more often than not. MLB wanted more tackles, but then MLB Always wants more tackles; part of the reason they're MLB.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24589 on: June 15, 2019, 06:19:28 AM »

How was your mlb able to discern these less than an inch hand placement variations?

Hips give away where the down hand is. Hips and spine have to go where body is pointed.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24590 on: June 15, 2019, 06:30:58 AM »

Was this modified 5-3 like 3-3 stack with inverted safeties?

Actually, looked like 5-2-1. Made the Mike LB look more like a nickleback which made QB read the defense wrong. Would sometimes move him up into blitz position which would cause QB to misread, Would also bring CB or OLB into blitz position but mostly they didn't blitz which would stop wheel/flair route.

Ultimate  chess match.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • SP? all of that--->
    • View Profile
« Reply #24591 on: June 15, 2019, 08:01:18 AM »
Ultimate chess master was my coaching nickname

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24592 on: June 15, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
so this was 8 man?

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24593 on: June 15, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
LickNeckey
so this was 8 man?

college D2

Although I did spend a year coaching 8 man when I moved back to Ks. 1st Secretary of 8 man football Association. Helped create the 8 man state playoffs. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24594 on: June 15, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
JMO but I think you're taking more credit than you deserve if you were just a secretary.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24595 on: June 15, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
KITNfury
JMO but I think you're taking more credit than you deserve if you were just a secretary.

Perhaps you're correct since all I did was write the letters and keep the notes of meetings when the original 8 of us met.

My bad. :dunno:

Online Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Not a huge gin guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24596 on: June 15, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »
So, the 8-man-football committee had 8 men on it? Seems a bit too on-the-nose.

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24597 on: June 15, 2019, 09:58:52 PM »
So, back to recruiting.  What news is out there?  I saw via Twitter:

- We struck out another OT from the KC area (went to Minnesota).  I think Fleck is overrated, but man we are having trouble with OTs
- We offered a OL from Lakin, Ks... anyone see him play?
- The QB from Iowa, Dekkers has a bunch of P5 offers now.  I imagine we are out with him and Stroud, maybe we are still in with Howard?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24598 on: June 15, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »
I haven’t been following it AT ALL, however, I think it’s going very well. Hopefully that answers your question.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24599 on: June 16, 2019, 02:09:39 AM »
kearneymen
So, back to recruiting.  What news is out there?  I saw via Twitter:

Left tackles are made, not born. Yeah, they have to have the physical skills but Left tackles has to be ramped up because that is the Most important OL position. Protecting the QBs blind side.
Spracne
So, the 8-man-football committee had 8 men on it? Seems a bit too on-the-nose.

Every group has to start some place.  State of Kansas was just ignoring us. It takes balls to punch State of Kansas Activities Ass. in the nose, repeatedly. Took a few years but Kansas Activities Ass. finally recognized us. It didn't hurt that by that time I was HC in 3-4A  position and had all those in my Conference, and several others pushing.

Kind of like how Chris Klieman got on the National Board and helped FCS. Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:29:11 PM by catbacker 73 »