Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5620533 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #22775 on: September 10, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
Sean Newlan. Emannuel Lamur, Travis Green, Holtorf, Marcus Watts
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #22776 on: September 10, 2016, 12:13:48 PM »
any HS QB worthy of a D1-ish offer should be absolutely tearing crap up. I've been following KSU recruiting for all of the Prince and Snyder 2.0 years. Never have we had QB commits that performed as poorly as wheeler and betts have performed so far. Even Ertz and Klein, who were both lightly regarded as D1 prospects, broke like every QB record at their HS.

I've followed this longer than you, and if they aren't any good, we will move them.

I mean, really, what other conceivable position could a 6'4", 200 pound kid that runs a 4.6 40 play?  Especially one that high jumps?

I mean I'm drawing a blank. I can't think of anything.

what HS QB recruit has ever switched positions at KSU and then not transferred out? It hasn't happened once in the last decade.

Betts is not a qb recruit
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #22777 on: September 10, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »
Tuggle

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22778 on: September 10, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
Harper played QB at Oregon bro. Tuggle played. QB at BC before going the JUCO route too

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22779 on: September 10, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #22780 on: September 10, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
Harper played QB at Oregon bro. Tuggle played. QB at BC before going the JUCO route too

harper was never listed as a QB for us. he only played WR. tuggle was a JC guy. he switched because he didn't have any other options.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22781 on: September 10, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »
any HS QB worthy of a D1-ish offer should be absolutely tearing crap up. I've been following KSU recruiting for all of the Prince and Snyder 2.0 years. Never have we had QB commits that performed as poorly as wheeler and betts have performed so far. Even Ertz and Klein, who were both lightly regarded as D1 prospects, broke like every QB record at their HS.

I've followed this longer than you, and if they aren't any good, we will move them.

I mean, really, what other conceivable position could a 6'4", 200 pound kid that runs a 4.6 40 play?  Especially one that high jumps?

I mean I'm drawing a blank. I can't think of anything.

what HS QB recruit has ever switched positions at KSU and then not transferred out? It hasn't happened once in the last decade.

Betts is not a qb recruit

tell that to him

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/preps/kipp-quarterback-dewayne-betts-commits-to-kansas-state-2da35509-7162-5255-e053-0100007fab97-371583611.html

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22782 on: September 10, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
Zimmerman was a pretty good HS QB recruit that switched to safety. Turned out to be decent after switching positions.

The St James kid has a ton of potential to switch positions if QB doesn't work out.

In fact, many of our defensive backs were offensive players in HS (QB, RB, WR) and switched to defense and college to become very good players.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22783 on: September 10, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »
i'll simplify it for all of you - the only HS player recruited as a QB to get to KSU and switch positions in the last decade is Daniel Sams.

if the plan for the staff is to have Dewayne Betts switch to another position, they need to tell him that. otherwise, history indicates that it will not work out well.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22784 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:50 PM »
Zimmerman was a pretty good HS QB recruit that switched to safety. Turned out to be decent after switching positions.

The St James kid has a ton of potential to switch positions if QB doesn't work out.

In fact, many of our defensive backs were offensive players in HS (QB, RB, WR) and switched to defense and college to become very good players.

Zimmerman was a walk-on who was never in the QB rotation. How hard is this to understand?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22785 on: September 10, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »
wgaf about these nerds.  most of our qb recruits never see the field anyway.  if they transfer, big whoop.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22786 on: September 10, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »

Zimmerman was a walk-on who was never in the QB rotation. How hard is this to understand?

My point is that Wheeler may not even be being recruited primarily as a QB. They will tell him he'll have every opportunity to play QB, but if you can get a local kid with his measurements committed, you do it. The plan may be to have him move after he gets here if QB doesn't pan out. Also, Zimmerman was a greyshirt, not a walkon. His first spring semester when he came on scholarship he started working at QB, then switched to safety.

FWIW, your comment about QBs not performing that well in HS and then coming to K-State and failing I agree with. This was always part of my worry about Delton, he was an okay 5A QB at Hays, but far from dominant in a way that he was going to come to K-State and be really good unless he developed a ton.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22787 on: September 10, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »

harper was never listed as a QB for us. he only played WR. tuggle was a JC guy. he switched because he didn't have any other options.
You're trying too hard to make a dumb point. We definitely recruited him from the beginning with intentions to have him be a stud 4* dual threat QB for us. Yeah, he was listed as an athlete, but everyone wanted him at QB coming out.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22788 on: September 10, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »
One of the major tuck talking points is how many HS QB's that we turn into everyday players on the field. Wheeler was a dumb offer, but it looks like the kid is pretty good on D too

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22789 on: September 10, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »

My point is that Wheeler may not even be being recruited primarily as a QB. They will tell him he'll have every opportunity to play QB, but if you can get a local kid with his measurements committed, you do it. The plan may be to have him move after he gets here if QB doesn't pan out. Also, Zimmerman was a greyshirt, not a walkon. His first spring semester when he came on scholarship he started working at QB, then switched to safety.

FWIW, your comment about QBs not performing that well in HS and then coming to K-State and failing I agree with. This was always part of my worry about Delton, he was an okay 5A QB at Hays, but far from dominant in a way that he was going to come to K-State and be really good unless he developed a ton.

i don't know what the staff have told wheeler re: his future college position. he could be coming in as a TE and be cool with it for all i know. i do know that betts is expecting to be a QB, and his current production is not acceptable for a P5 recruit.

also i understand the fact that many QBs switch to play different positions in college, but that's more the case of practically every HS coach making the best player on their team the QB, even if they are better at a different position.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22790 on: September 10, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
alot of those kids don't get recruited as QBs. they may get told by the staff that they can give it a shot if they want, but most of them settle into the position that they were actually recruited for.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22791 on: September 10, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »
wgaf about these nerds.  most of our qb recruits never see the field anyway.  if they transfer, big whoop.
Some of our fans act like the transfer epidemic is mainly a K-State issue, which is largely false. 5, 4, and 3 star QB's transfer out when they see the writing on the wall that someone else won the job. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #22792 on: September 10, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
i'll simplify it for all of you - the only HS player recruited as a QB to get to KSU and switch positions in the last decade is Daniel Sams.

if the plan for the staff is to have Dewayne Betts switch to another position, they need to tell him that. otherwise, history indicates that it will not work out well.

Hartman absolutely came in as a quarterback.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22793 on: September 10, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
klein went QB->WR->Back to QB. cook went QB->WR->Back to kind of QB but also kind of WR.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22794 on: September 10, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
alot of those kids don't get recruited as QBs. they may get told by the staff that they can give it a shot if they want, but most of them settle into the position that they were actually recruited for.

I'm not sure why you're stuck on this when many people have already proven otherwise.

Betts and Wheeler are pretty good athletes.  Betts could be a safety or a linebacker.  Wheeler could be a wide reciever or a safety.

When you watch their video, they have nice arms and the physical tools we want in a QB.  They're both development projects that you have the luxury of bringing in after you sign the best QB recruit you've signed in a decade.  If they don't work out, they can both easily move positions, or if they don't like moving, they'll transfer.  However, the fact that Wheeler is a legacy makes that less likely.

No one is going to confuse these kids with Skylar Thompson.  But they're both D1/P5 athletes that we can use on our roster.  TCU has continually brought in HS QB's and RB's and converted them to something else, usually defense.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22795 on: September 10, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
FWIW, Betts team won 68-6 last night.  I can't find a box score.

Offline nitrocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22796 on: September 10, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
Hartman did come in as a QB. 100%.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22797 on: September 10, 2016, 02:34:08 PM »
Also, treys SAMs take is shaky. Every program wanted him as an athlete. He's literally picking and choosing recruiting stories for his agenda. Smdh.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22798 on: September 10, 2016, 02:34:31 PM »

I'm not sure why you're stuck on this when many people have already proven otherwise.

Betts and Wheeler are pretty good athletes.  Betts could be a safety or a linebacker.  Wheeler could be a wide reciever or a safety.

When you watch their video, they have nice arms and the physical tools we want in a QB.  They're both development projects that you have the luxury of bringing in after you sign the best QB recruit you've signed in a decade.  If they don't work out, they can both easily move positions, or if they don't like moving, they'll transfer.  However, the fact that Wheeler is a legacy makes that less likely.

No one is going to confuse these kids with Skylar Thompson.  But they're both D1/P5 athletes that we can use on our roster.  TCU has continually brought in HS QB's and RB's and converted them to something else, usually defense.

why waste the scholarships on projects when you have so many more pressing positions of need? just don't recruit a QB this cycle and then recruit a legit one in the next class.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22799 on: September 10, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
well, we only have 1 current QB that has a chance to be good so....