Author Topic: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring worst possible choice oscar weber)  (Read 583733 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1800 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
Most coaches are very close to .500 in close games.

You are saying coaches who are good at close games are actually just on the right side of variance?  Impossible.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
talent 75%
playing hard 20%
x&os 5%

it is hard to come up with head coach names that are attractive and feasible.  so the new coach should be an asst.  there are always assts around that would make great coaches, it's just a matter of identifying them and/or flipping the coin and coming up sixs.

This is the most accurate metaphor that has been mixed.  Hopefully we will get a guy who is ~ Frank Martin 5 years ago...

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 29, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
Huggins and Frank hate Cronin. Cronin wouldn't even talk to Frank when he got the HC job at Cincy, much less offer him a job. I'd put Cronin below Stallings, too.

Yea, wasn't there a lot of butt hurt with Andy Kennedy not keeping it, IIRC.  Not to mention, Cincy wasn't going to hire anybody who spoke highly of Huggs either

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 29, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »

I agree for the most part, but think coaching is key in the last few minutes.  Basically, this is burned into my head based on when we went from Wooly to Huggs.  That maybe an extreme example because Wooly was monumentally inept in those situations, but that is mainly my only concern x-o's wise

http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/compare?c1=bob-huggins&c2=chris-mack&c3=jim-wooldridge&c4=lon-kruger&remove=chris-mack

Wooly wins 49% of close games and Huggs wins 52%. I mean it's better, but that would MAYBE translate to one extra win a year. Wooly's problem was always shitty talent.

Wooly gets a pretty big edge there based on the teams/coaches he has played against.  Would be curious to see his numbers at K-State.  The thing I remember is Cartier constantly dribbling the ball off his leg out of bounds late in games because Wooly decided he should/could create his shot.

Sounds like your memory fails you

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »
Potential candidates for K-State job
10:51
AM ET
Kansas State Wildcats
TopEmailComments

Bob Lutz of The Wichita Eagle provided a list on Wednesday of possible candidates to replace Frank Martin at Kansas State.

According to Lutz, the No. 1 option is Colorado coach Tad Boyle, a name that seems to come up in every job opening across the west and midwest. Boyle appears to be pretty happy in Boulder, however, and many may look at this as a lateral move.

Others on the list include the likes of Illinois State coach Tim Jankovich -- someone ESPN's Andy Katz mentioned earlier this week -- along with Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua, Oklahoma assistant Steven Henson and Georgia coach Mark Fox, who has ties to the school.

As for long shots? Lutz mentions Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett, Harvard coach Tommy Amaker, Michigan State assistant Dwayne Stephens and New Mexico coach Steve Alford.

:lol:

NO Orlando Antigua!!!!! He is not even the top assistant!  :nono:  :nono:

:flush:

Offline Doberman_CATS!!!

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Rob Cassidy ? @robcassidy22  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Of note: Strength coach Scott Greenawalt's newest contract made him employed by #KState, not men's basketball as was previously the case.

:thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 29, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »

You are saying coaches who are good at close games are actually just on the right side of variance?  Impossible.

I'm saying I don't think any coaches are good at close games, and it shouldn't be a factor when evaluating potential coaches.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 29, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
Of note: Strength coach Scott Greenawalt's newest contract made him employed by #KState, not men's basketball as was previously the case.

thought it was well known that he's worked with Deb's ladies for the last few years :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 29, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »

I'm saying I don't think any coaches are good at close games, and it shouldn't be a factor when evaluating potential coaches.

I would have agreed with you, but then you posted Wooly's stats in close games that show he's terrible at them.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »

thought it was well known that he's worked with Deb's ladies for the last few years :dunno:

:dubious:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »

I would have agreed with you, but then you posted Wooly's stats in close games that show he's terrible at them.

He had one freakish year. 49% for a career is not terrible when you consider Bob Huggins wins 52%.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 29, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »

He had one freakish year. 49% for a career is not terrible when you consider Bob Huggins wins 52%.

It's all relative to everybody else. It makes a 1-2 game difference in the average year. That is significant.

Also, I don't really know how you defined "close game" so I can't really argue the point too much. I would include games that were within 6 points at the under 4 timeout and games that finished with a margin of 3 or less. It seems to me that coaches who are bad at close games tend to keep it close until the last tv timeout, then everything falls apart. See Self vs Roy in the elite 8 this year. Roy isn't bad, but Self is much better.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:00:04 PM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 29, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
It's all relative to everybody else. It makes a 1-2 game difference in the average year. That is significant.

More like 1-2 games over 2-3 years. It shouldn't be considered as a factor.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 29, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
I'd put Cronin below Stallings, too.

Why?

worse results

I'll take Cronin over Stallings.  The record is close enough where Cronin should be given big east credit.  Mick Cronin's first 6 years at a major program kills Stallings first six years.  After 13 years Stallings is still below .500 in conference play. 

Also I'm deadly serious about image of the program and having a coach consistently in front of national television cameras.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1815 on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
I'd put Cronin below Stallings, too.

Why?

worse results

???

Stallings - 6 years at mid major, 2 NCAAs, 2 NITs. 1st 5 years at a BCS school, 1 NCAA (Sweet 16), 2 NITs.

Cronin - 3 years at mid major, 2 NCAAs. 1st 5 years at a BCS school, 2 NCAAs (Sweet 16), 1 NIT.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »

:dubious:

:curse:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
welp, I guess I should look before I talk sometimes.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
"Of course I would love to coach at KSU." - Doug Gottlieb

Judges?

hire him. done.

#teamgottlieb   :emawkid:  :katpak:
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: March 29, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
Smart
Mack
Buzz
Cronin
Pastner
Stallings
---------- cutoff where everyone above this line would laugh in our faces. KState should still contact and throw money at everyone above this line anyway.
Pearl
Majerus
Theus
Capel
Unders
Brown
Hurricane
Quin
--------- cutoff where everyone above would not only take the job but I wouldn't burn this place down. below this line and I burn this site, everyone on it and the OOD to the ground
eustachy
jank
henson
marshall
boyle
fox
sutton
wojo
collins
kruger
altman
weber
purnell
jeter

Coaches are not ordered within their respective categories (to avoid bias)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: March 29, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
Also, I don't really know how you defined "close game" so I can't really argue the point too much. I would include games that were within 6 points at the under 4 timeout and games that finished with a margin of 3 or less. It seems to me that coaches who are bad at close games tend to keep it close until the last tv timeout, then everything falls apart. See Self vs Roy in the elite 8 this year. Roy isn't bad, but Self is much better.

just saw your edit. Close games are defined by statsheet as games decided by 6 points or less. ChiCat was particularly interested in end-of-game situations, and I can't think of a better way to compare coaches in this way without looking up individual game logs for every coach in question.

I also don't care much about one game comparisons or NCAA tournament results when evaluating coaches. Conference record and finish is far more important IMO, because it is a relatively large sample size and is pretty much all against peer schools.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
mods pls add Rob Lanier to the list

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:47 PM »

just saw your edit. Close games are defined by statsheet as games decided by 6 points or less. ChiCat was particularly interested in end-of-game situations, and I can't think of a better way to compare coaches in this way without looking up individual game logs for every coach in question.

I also don't care much about one game comparisons or NCAA tournament results when evaluating coaches. Conference record and finish is far more important IMO, because it is a relatively large sample size and is pretty much all against peer schools.

Oh, I agree. Close games aren't that important, but I do think that some coaches are much better at them than other coaches.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
mods pls add Rob Lanier to the list

also gottleib

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
speaking of recruiting, did someone mention the possibility of antigua getting some coach cal scraps tossed his way?