Author Topic: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring worst possible choice oscar weber)  (Read 583768 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1775 on: March 29, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
I only care about recruiting

why?

recruit well and good things will happen no matter what. I also think it's the easiest way to evaluate "unproven" coaches. If I'm an AD, I'm asking a candidate to name their top 5 relationships with AAU programs, examples of under-the-radar recruits that exceeded conventional expectations, examples of recruiting victories over "better" programs, and examples of recruiting losses and why the losses occurred. IMO everyone that is a D1 Head Coach or assistant is competent at "x's and o's" because basketball is a brutally simple game and 9 times out of 10 talent wins out. What truly separates coaches are their recruiting relationships and approach.

I agree for the most part, but think coaching is key in the last few minutes.  Basically, this is burned into my head based on when we went from Wooly to Huggs.  That maybe an extreme example because Wooly was monumentally inept in those situations, but that is mainly my only concern x-o's wise
last minute X and Oing is over rated at the high major level.  It is all about who has guys that can make plays, even X and O legends like Majerus built his rep coaching longtime NBA talent like Van Horn and Miller.  Jimmies and Joes trump Xs and Os the majority of the time.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1776 on: March 29, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
Steve henson on 610 right now, pitching himself for k-state.  Jfc I hate our fans so much.  You know our fans will eat it up. :frown:

is he even in the top 5 of bald candidates?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1777 on: March 29, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »
judges forgot to list tinkle as a possibility. dude would be a strong hire.

Preemptive.

love your sig, but come on, another coach from huggins' back-stabbing tree? get mick off there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

I agree for the most part, but think coaching is key in the last few minutes.  Basically, this is burned into my head based on when we went from Wooly to Huggs.  That maybe an extreme example because Wooly was monumentally inept in those situations, but that is mainly my only concern x-o's wise

http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/compare?c1=bob-huggins&c2=chris-mack&c3=jim-wooldridge&c4=lon-kruger&remove=chris-mack

Wooly wins 49% of close games and Huggs wins 52%. I mean it's better, but that would MAYBE translate to one extra win a year. Wooly's problem was always shitty talent.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »
is Rod Strickland Cal's right hand man?

Offline davegladow

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eyeblack Odyssey
« Reply #1780 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
If you're considering adding Majerus to the list (and you should, because he's awesome and might die soon -- makes the Pearl transition more tenable), you may as well look at other guys in his same range of talent/effectiveness.

Steve Alford is about as meh a hire as you could ever find, but he meets the basic requirements of going to the tournament every other year (and winning once he gets there) and being massively underpaid.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36262

These guys think he needs more money, but also think their AD is too small-timey to actually pay him.  Sound familiar?

Almost too perfect a fit, really.  Would frustrate the hell out of us.  The BBSing would be beautiful.

Offline Doberman_CATS!!!

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »

I was with you on #Bilas4KSU, but Mr. Tinkle has no business at the Kansas State University Wildcats

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1782 on: March 29, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
Majerus in the middle imo

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1783 on: March 29, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
I was with you on #Bilas4KSU, but Mr. Tinkle has no business at the Kansas State University Wildcats

tinkle is a straight shooter.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
"Of course I would love to coach at KSU." - Doug Gottlieb

Judges?

hire him. done.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: March 29, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
Dear Steve Hensen, I don't give a eff if a kid understands what it means to wear purple.

I hate this talking point.  I hate it for what it means and I hate it for it probably making the tucks embrace the crap out of Hensen over all others at this point. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
If you're considering adding Majerus to the list (and you should, because he's awesome and might die soon -- makes the Pearl transition more tenable), you may as well look at other guys in his same range of talent/effectiveness.

Steve Alford is about as meh a hire as you could ever find, but he meets the basic requirements of going to the tournament every other year (and winning once he gets there) and being massively underpaid.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36262

These guys think he needs more money, but also think their AD is too small-timey to actually pay him.  Sound familiar?

Almost too perfect a fit, really.  Would frustrate the hell out of us.  The BBSing would be beautiful.

My guess is Alford will say no. The way he left Iowa indicates he may of learned the lesson of best job at a mid major > mid tier high major w/o a recruiting base.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Majerus in the middle

Would make a great sitcom

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »
MIDMajerusDLE

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
love your sig, but come on, another coach from huggins' back-stabbing tree? get mick off there.

Remember, Mick left and coached under Pitino and I don't think that went over well with Huggins.

That said, I think it would be really hard to pull him away from Cinci.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »

http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/compare?c1=bob-huggins&c2=chris-mack&c3=jim-wooldridge&c4=lon-kruger&remove=chris-mack

Wooly wins 49% of close games and Huggs wins 52%. I mean it's better, but that would MAYBE translate to one extra win a year. Wooly's problem was always shitty talent.

Wooly gets a pretty big edge there based on the teams/coaches he has played against.  Would be curious to see his numbers at K-State.  The thing I remember is Cartier constantly dribbling the ball off his leg out of bounds late in games because Wooly decided he should/could create his shot.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
I've accepted Steve Henson as our next coach!  he won't ever leave!  he snuck into the student sectio.  he makes free throws!  :ksu:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »

Preemptive.

Yea, damn that success they've brought us :angry:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 29, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
talent 75%
playing hard 20%
x&os 5%

it is hard to come up with head coach names that are attractive and feasible.  so the new coach should be an asst.  there are always assts around that would make great coaches, it's just a matter of identifying them and/or flipping the coin and coming up sixs.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 29, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »

Wooly gets a pretty big edge there based on the teams/coaches he has played against.  Would be curious to see his numbers at K-State.  The thing I remember is Cartier constantly dribbling the ball off his leg out of bounds late in games because Wooly decided he should/could create his shot.

Year by year:

5-4
4-4
0-5(!)
4-4
4-3
6-9

The year Huggins was here he was 4-3. This year he was 4-6, FWIW. Most coaches are very close to .500 in close games.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1795 on: March 29, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »

Yea, damn that success they've brought us :angry:

anybody who speaks highly of, has respect for or references huggins or frank won't be considered.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
Huggins and Frank hate Cronin. Cronin wouldn't even talk to Frank when he got the HC job at Cincy, much less offer him a job. I'd put Cronin below Stallings, too.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
the accepted narrative is that cronin and huggins dislike each other.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
I'd put Cronin below Stallings, too.

Why?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
Cronin could make our future games against West Virginia fun.