Author Topic: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring worst possible choice oscar weber)  (Read 583958 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1575 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
I feel better about a dude who has proven success at a mid-major than some guy who is an assitant at a BCS school.  Not sure why.  I'd be down for Jeter.  Maybe Brad can stick around and appease the majority of the players?  That's what I'm most concerned with right now.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »
I mentioned this gentleman last week and considering what we're facing I would place him first above Undy.

I'd like to introduce you all to Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Jeter
http://www.uwmpanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeter_rob00.html
http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/rob-jeter
  my reservation with Jeter is he is from the Bo Ryan tree and I really don't like that style of play.  He does appear to play faster (mid to high 60s for # of Poss per game vs Bo's typical high 50s).  Do  es he run the "Swing" offense like Bo?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »
but that's not true, at all.  frank had the benefit of his connection to huggins, dalonte, beasley, and walker. 

frank had a giant head start given to him that those other guys never had which propelled him to a place that those other dudes will never get to.  he caught lightening in a bottle.  once he had the head start, he had momentum, and from there his job was just to not eff it up.  not surprisingly of a man of his character, he did eff it up, and now he's gone.

future frank will most certainly be as mediocre as those guys you listed, but that's because he's rough ridin' dumber than dirt and made a really stupid decision.  i'm sure we'll soon see him on an episode of The Lottery Changed My Life.

Now just a minute. We can be mad at Frank, but let's not get carried away.

Keep in mind where Frank Martin came from. Clearly not good enough to even play high school basketball in Miami, he became friends of the coach and absorbed the game. Heck, he was even coaching JV before he graduated.

Then he went to the fine institution that is Florida International and got his degree. Math teacher, I'm sure I don't need to remind you. There he was, helping kids learn Algebra and Geometry, but more importantly how to be fine young women and men. Also, he was giving cash to band members and cheerleaders and athletes because they couldn't afford to go to movies or eat pizzas. That's the kind of man we're talking about.

Then he became a head coach and he was very successful. He taught values of hard work and defense and rebounding. Now, you may want to say he had rosters full of division one players plucked from all over the city. A few may have perhaps even lived with assistant coaches or administrators. His school maybe even got caught, but nevertheless Frank was teaching those values and getting those kids into division one schools left and right.

Of course another cynic might say that Frank only got his shot in college coaching because of those connections to tons of division one players. Not true! Clearly those coaches saw the type of coach Frank was, willing to go to bat for his players, and most importantly the work ethic he instilled. He quickly moved up in the ranks and soon was under the great Bob Huggins. Huggins brought him to Kansas State and the rest is history.

The key here is that we must not forget those humble beginnings. We must remember that kids haven't changed, society has changed. Adults have changed. Its so much harder to coach and motivate kids based on fear these days because we coddle our kids. Frank changed that and didn't believe in that. Those kids that clearly are too coddled he showed that you just eliminate from your program, eventually you'll have the kids around that can handle what being a kid used to be like with tough love. Remember, Frank would treat his kids no different.

So while Frank may deserve some flack for a few things, don't go too far, that's just not far to a guy with the integrity, loyalty, and character of Frank Martin.

and that weird stripper story

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »
I like Jeter, I really do. Why hasn't he done more? He took the group he inherited from Pearl and went dancing, but that's about it. Otherwise his record looks pretty Jankish honestly.

Now sell me on him.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 28, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
Frank has one great advantage over Jank and Unds and that is recruiting.  With Art and Shakey he has proven he can find high major players, something Jank and Unds have never done.  Frank may never have another elite 8 but I am not betting against him becoming a success at USC.

Who are all these "high major players" that he found with Art and Shakey?

Denis? Sure. Angel? Diaz? Maybe.

Who else?  Lou?  I liked Lou, but..c'mon.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 28, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »
but that's not true, at all.  frank had the benefit of his connection to huggins, dalonte, beasley, and walker. 

frank had a giant head start given to him that those other guys never had which propelled him to a place that those other dudes will never get to.  he caught lightening in a bottle.  once he had the head start, he had momentum, and from there his job was just to not eff it up.  not surprisingly of a man of his character, he did eff it up, and now he's gone.

future frank will most certainly be as mediocre as those guys you listed, but that's because he's rough ridin' dumber than dirt and made a really stupid decision.  i'm sure we'll soon see him on an episode of The Lottery Changed My Life.

Keep in mind where Frank Martin came from. Clearly not good enough to even play high school basketball in Miami, he became friends of the coach and absorbed the game. Heck, he was even coaching JV before he graduated.

Then he went to the fine institution that is Florida International and got his degree. Math teacher, I'm sure I don't need to remind you. There he was, helping kids learn Algebra and Geometry, but more importantly how to be fine young women and men. Also, he was giving cash to band members and cheerleaders and athletes because they couldn't afford to go to movies or eat pizzas. That's the kind of man we're talking about.

Then he became a head coach and he was very successful. He taught values of hard work and defense and rebounding. Now, you may want to say he had rosters full of division one players plucked from all over the city. A few may have perhaps even lived with assistant coaches or administrators. His school maybe even got caught, but nevertheless Frank was teaching those values and getting those kids into division one schools left and right.

Of course another cynic might say that Frank only got his shot in college coaching because of those connections to tons of division one players. Not true! Clearly those coaches saw the type of coach Frank was, willing to go to bat for his players, and most importantly the work ethic he instilled. He quickly moved up in the ranks and soon was under the great Bob Huggins. Huggins brought him to Kansas State and the rest is history.

The key here is that we must not forget those humble beginnings. We must remember that kids haven't changed, society has changed. Adults have changed. Its so much harder to coach and motivate kids based on fear these days because we coddle our kids. Frank changed that and didn't believe in that. Those kids that clearly are too coddled he showed that you just eliminate from your program, eventually you'll have the kids around that can handle what being a kid used to be like with tough love. Remember, Frank would treat his kids no different.

So while Frank may deserve some flack for a few things, don't go too far, that's just not far to a guy with the integrity, loyalty, and character of Frank Martin.

probably my favorite _FAN post ever
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1581 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
Well, I may have vented a bit there. It's been a long week.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 28, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
Stevedave, please add Ray Lewis to your matrix.  No doubt he could recruit. As we are quickly learning, X&O's guys are a dime a dozen: http://deadspin.com/5897335/ray-lewis-is-a-better-motivational-speaker-than-you

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »
Stevedave, please add Ray Lewis to your matrix.  No doubt he could recruit. As we are quickly learning, X&O's guys are a dime a dozen: http://deadspin.com/5897335/ray-lewis-is-a-better-motivational-speaker-than-you

the assistants handle x&o's anyway amirite?? yeah. put me down for a would take.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 28, 2012, 11:44:24 PM »
My random, no basis on anything, darkhorse candidate: Stacey Augmon

Offline Jmo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 28, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »

It was fantastic.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 28, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »

Don't worry, it was masterful.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 28, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »

:rolleyes:

this board, of all places may set the world record for most sanctimony, the level of thirst and desperation the last five days is utterly unreal

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1588 on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
i pride myself on coach knowledge but short-circuited somewhere and pictured rob jeter to look more like former penn state and current army coach ed dechellis and less like a black guy.

i'd call jetes.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 28, 2012, 11:58:25 PM »

This was a treat.
emaw

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: March 29, 2012, 12:01:46 AM »
Frank was really good at coaching defense and rebounding and getting kids to play hard.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:40 AM »
i pride myself on coach knowledge but short-circuited somewhere and pictured rob jeter to look more like former penn state and current army coach ed dechellis and less like a black guy.

i'd call jetes.

I'm a whore for championship week, I put the espn3 on overdrive.  No one in the Horizon outside of Butler and Detroit ever get any ESPN face time.

Anyway the sales job is that he's been solid for a long time in a good conference with not substandard resources.  He was also Bo Ryan's lead recruiter at Wisconsin.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:51 AM »
Valpo is Horizon, right?  Pretty sure I watched Detroit whip their asses this year...  They get decent love.  Not Butler love but...

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 29, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »
Frank was really good at coaching defense and rebounding and getting kids to play hard.

And Sets with tons of options that sometime worked and other times completely stalled out, also super dependent on a point guard, even in flex sets which makes little sense.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:07 AM »
Another rando candidate: Georgetown assistant Kenya Hunter

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
rake's darkhorse candidate search
« Reply #1595 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:30 AM »
here are the 15 best names in college basketball:

Clifford Reed - Bethune-Cookman
Howie Dickenman - Central Connecticut
Barclay Radebaugh - Charleston Southern
Tracy Dildy - Chicago State
Tad Boyle - Colorado
Bruiser Flint - Drexel
Mike Krzyzewski - Duke
Kevin Nickelberry - Howard
Tevester Anderson - Jackson State
Kermit Davis - Middle Tennessee
Wayne Tinkle - Montana
Horace Broadnax -Savannah State
Mitch Buonaguro - Siena
Lennox Forrester - SIU Edwardsville
Jeff Bzdelik - Wake Forest

any coach with a losing record at current school is eliminated. goodbye to the following:

clifford reed
barclay radebaugh
tracy dildy
kevin nickelberry
tevester anderson
Horace Broadnax
Mitch Buonaguro
Lennox Forrester
Jeff Bzdelik

that leaves us with the following:

Howie Dickenman - Central Connecticut
Tad Boyle - Colorado
Bruiser Flint - Drexel
Mike Krzyzewski - Duke
Kermit Davis - Middle Tennessee
Wayne Tinkle - Montana

anyone over age 60 gets the boot:

howie dickenman (62)
mike krzyzewski (65)

that leaves us with our Final Four:

tad boyle vs. bruiser flint
kermit davis vs. wayne tinkle

since this is a "fight round," bruiser gets the edge over tad.
kermit and tinkle is a virtual toss up, so both advance.

that leaves us with:

bruiser flint
kermit davis
wayne tinkle

ncaa tournament experience required:

bruiser has two appearances in 16 years, and hasn't made it since 1998.
kermit davis doesn't have any.
wayne tinkle has had two in the last three years.

goodbye, kermit.

rake's darkhorse candidate (please add to list):

WAYNE TINKLE!

:ksu:  :ksu:  :ksu:

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
How about Trent Johnson at LSU?  He is like a rich man's Frank Haith in that he has actually had some success.  He had a sweet 16 at Stanford and was the dude who got the thing going at Nevada with a sweet 16 there.  LSU gave him a 1 year no raise extension recently so you know he would love to reset the clock.

He seems like pretty laid back players coach so he could hold next years team together but if he sucked after that he would be a lot easier to fire than a central Kansas son of the program.

Trent Johnson should be at the bottom of the Judges' Matrix. He is both a bad recruiter and in-game coach. The only reason he had some success at Stanford was because he was gift wrapped the Lopez twins who from the day they were born had the dream of playing basketball there. And even with two future NBA 7 footers on the same team at the same time the furthest the team got was Sweet Sixteen. Stanford fans were thrilled when he left for LSU. I'm sure LSU fans would feel the same way.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 29, 2012, 12:34:23 AM »
Haven't read every page of this thread, so they've possibly already been mentioned, but what about Donnie Jones or Mike Jarvis?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 29, 2012, 12:37:39 AM »
I love Mike Jarvis.  That being said Al Sharpton is a better fit for our fanbase.  They thought Ron Prince was uppity and he was from Junction rough ridin' City.  I couldn't imagine the backlash the first time K-State fans heard Jarvis talk.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1599 on: March 29, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
mike jarvis looks like uncle phil from fresh prince.

also overrated.