Author Topic: Coaching Search Master Thread (now featuring worst possible choice oscar weber)  (Read 583744 times)

Offline CloneBroChill

• Taco Walk'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1550 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
Mike D'Antoni

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
compared to what guys like jank or norm would accomplish at ksu, frank = john wooden.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 28, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
Lol @ Beems trying to validate any and all former KU assistants/players as viable candidates. Just because a guy is a great coach doesn't mean his assistants are going to be. Please name one member of the Bill Self coaching tree who has been a quality head coach.

Billy Gillispie.  Norm Roberts.  Tim Jankovich.  Soon-to-be Danny Manning.

Boom.  Roasted.

I said quality, even if I grant you Gillispie if that's the best you can do you just proved my point.

Quality is sort of a broad term.  You've got NIT quality.  Final Four quality.  BCS quality.  Mid major quality.  Etc, etc, etc.

Yea, I'm looking for mid-major quality coaches :flush:

Norm did a decent job at St. John's.  Jank is doing pretty well at Illinois State.  I don't know... was Frank really that great?  Dude was constantly finishing 4th/5th in the Big 12 and losing in the 2nd round.  He had one nice NCAA tournament run in five years.  You guys are acting like he was John Wooden or something.

Quality is relative. You just said that. If Weis finishes 4th in the conf. 5 years in a row and takes you to 5 straight bowl games you will probably worship him like he's the second coming of Pepper Rodgers.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
Lol @ Beems trying to validate any and all former KU assistants/players as viable candidates. Just because a guy is a great coach doesn't mean his assistants are going to be. Please name one member of the Bill Self coaching tree who has been a quality head coach.

Billy Gillispie.  Norm Roberts.  Tim Jankovich.  Soon-to-be Danny Manning.

Boom.  Roasted.

I said quality, even if I grant you Gillispie if that's the best you can do you just proved my point.

Quality is sort of a broad term.  You've got NIT quality.  Final Four quality.  BCS quality.  Mid major quality.  Etc, etc, etc.

Yea, I'm looking for mid-major quality coaches :flush:

Norm did a decent job at St. John's.  Jank is doing pretty well at Illinois State.  I don't know... was Frank really that great?  Dude was constantly finishing 4th/5th in the Big 12 and losing in the 2nd round.  He had one nice NCAA tournament run in five years.  You guys are acting like he was John Wooden or something.

Quality is relative. You just said that. If Weis finishes 4th in the conf. 5 years in a row and takes you to 5 straight bowl games you will probably worship him like he's the second coming of Pepper Rodgers.

Meh. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
compared to what guys like jank or norm would accomplish at ksu, frank = john wooden.

Frank is Jank and Norm, except Jank and Norm learned under a national championship program.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »
I'm sorry but who is Tim Jankovich? Honestly, sounds completely made up. I know you guys like to play games and try to be funny, but can we limit this discussion to real people?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
I've got a great idea, that's NEVER BEEN DONE.

Co-Head Coaches!!!

Let's make history.

Trim and MiR would easily bring back the Angriest Fanbase in America.

We're both excellent recruiters.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 28, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »

Frank is Jank and Norm, except Jank and Norm learned under a national championship program.

but that's not true, at all.  frank had the benefit of his connection to huggins, dalonte, beasley, and walker. 

frank had a giant head start given to him that those other guys never had which propelled him to a place that those other dudes will never get to.  he caught lightening in a bottle.  once he had the head start, he had momentum, and from there his job was just to not eff it up.  not surprisingly of a man of his character, he did eff it up, and now he's gone.

future frank will most certainly be as mediocre as those guys you listed, but that's because he's rough ridin' dumber than dirt and made a really stupid decision.  i'm sure we'll soon see him on an episode of The Lottery Changed My Life. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
How about Trent Johnson at LSU?  He is like a rich man's Frank Haith in that he has actually had some success.  He had a sweet 16 at Stanford and was the dude who got the thing going at Nevada with a sweet 16 there.  LSU gave him a 1 year no raise extension recently so you know he would love to reset the clock.

He seems like pretty laid back players coach so he could hold next years team together but if he sucked after that he would be a lot easier to fire than a central Kansas son of the program.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 28, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
Offer Jay Wright $2.75 mil guaranteed.  :peek:

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: March 28, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »

Norm Roberts was decent at St. Johns? His best conference season was 7-9. His other seasons were 3-13, 5-11, 5-13, 6-12, and 6-12. Two overall seasons above .500 and they were both 1 game above .500. Where do you even come up with this bullshit? That's what learning under a national championship program gets you? Jankovich is doing a decent job, but it's worse than what Stallings did. Billy is the only one you can hang your hat on at this moment because Jank did nothing at North Texas and he's got 4 NIT's in five years at ISU.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »
And Billy Clyde coached what is probably the worst Big 12 ever last year.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 28, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
Offer Jay Wright $2.75 mil guaranteed.  :peek:
I wonder if those guys will go down with the ship that is the Big East.  If Uconn were to bail, all most all the FB playing schools would be nothing but negatives for hoops and I am not sure of the $ a basketball only private school league would demand if the the Novas, Marquettes, Georgetowns, etc started their own. 

I know all those schools have incredibly rich alums but doesn't a non football playing Big Catholic league fall out of the national conscious? 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: March 28, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »

Norm Roberts was decent at St. Johns? His best conference season was 7-9. His other seasons were 3-13, 5-11, 5-13, 6-12, and 6-12. Two overall seasons above .500 and they were both 1 game above .500. Where do you even come up with this bullshit? That's what learning under a national championship program gets you? Jankovich is doing a decent job, but it's worse than what Stallings did. Billy is the only one you can hang your hat on at this moment because Jank did nothing at North Texas and he's got 4 NIT's in five years at ISU.

I said decent, not great.  Big East was brutal during Norm's time there.  Lavin benefitted from his recruiting of last year's team.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:58:31 PM by OregonHawk »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 28, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
And Billy Clyde coached what is probably the worst Big 12 ever last year.

Yeah, that had nothing to do with Billy Gillispie.  The worst Big 12 team ever was Melvin Watkins' A&M team that finished 0-16, and then Billy came in and resurrected that program from the ground up. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »
How about Trent Johnson at LSU?  He is like a rich man's Frank Haith in that he has actually had some success.  He had a sweet 16 at Stanford and was the dude who got the thing going at Nevada with a sweet 16 there.  LSU gave him a 1 year no raise extension recently so you know he would love to reset the clock.

He seems like pretty laid back players coach so he could hold next years team together but if he sucked after that he would be a lot easier to fire than a central Kansas son of the program.

Trent Johnson is an interesting name to keep in mind.  He was highly successful at Nevada, and I think he could probably use a change of scenery.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »
Mike D'Antoni

pretty pissed that the judges ignored this suggestion 20 pages ago

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
Mike D'Antoni

pretty pissed that the judges ignored this suggestion 20 pages ago
yeah, if we have Bilas and Brown on there Mike D should be too

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 28, 2012, 11:10:12 PM »

but that's not true, at all.  frank had the benefit of his connection to huggins, dalonte, beasley, and walker. 

frank had a giant head start given to him that those other guys never had which propelled him to a place that those other dudes will never get to.  he caught lightening in a bottle.  once he had the head start, he had momentum, and from there his job was just to not eff it up.  not surprisingly of a man of his character, he did eff it up, and now he's gone.

future frank will most certainly be as mediocre as those guys you listed, but that's because he's rough ridin' dumber than dirt and made a really stupid decision.  i'm sure we'll soon see him on an episode of The Lottery Changed My Life.

This

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

This
Frank has one great advantage over Jank and Unds and that is recruiting.  With Art and Shakey he has proven he can find high major players, something Jank and Unds have never done.  Frank may never have another elite 8 but I am not betting against him becoming a success at USC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 28, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
I mentioned this gentleman last week and considering what we're facing I would place him first above Undy.

I'd like to introduce you all to Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Jeter
http://www.uwmpanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeter_rob00.html
http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/rob-jeter

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
I mentioned this gentleman last week and considering what we're facing I would place him first above Undy.

Probably a lot of people would get him confused with Derek Jeter and watch our games. 

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 28, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »

Probably a lot of people would get him confused with Derek Jeter and watch our games.

yeah, would take.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 28, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »

Now just a minute. We can be mad at Frank, but let's not get carried away.

Keep in mind where Frank Martin came from. Clearly not good enough to even play high school basketball in Miami, he became friends of the coach and absorbed the game. Heck, he was even coaching JV before he graduated.

Then he went to the fine institution that is Florida International and got his degree. Math teacher, I'm sure I don't need to remind you. There he was, helping kids learn Algebra and Geometry, but more importantly how to be fine young women and men. Also, he was giving cash to band members and cheerleaders and athletes because they couldn't afford to go to movies or eat pizzas. That's the kind of man we're talking about.

Then he became a head coach and he was very successful. He taught values of hard work and defense and rebounding. Now, you may want to say he had rosters full of division one players plucked from all over the city. A few may have perhaps even lived with assistant coaches or administrators. His school maybe even got caught, but nevertheless Frank was teaching those values and getting those kids into division one schools left and right.

Of course another cynic might say that Frank only got his shot in college coaching because of those connections to tons of division one players. Not true! Clearly those coaches saw the type of coach Frank was, willing to go to bat for his players, and most importantly the work ethic he instilled. He quickly moved up in the ranks and soon was under the great Bob Huggins. Huggins brought him to Kansas State and the rest is history.

The key here is that we must not forget those humble beginnings. We must remember that kids haven't changed, society has changed. Adults have changed. Its so much harder to coach and motivate kids based on fear these days because we coddle our kids. Frank changed that and didn't believe in that. Those kids that clearly are too coddled he showed that you just eliminate from your program, eventually you'll have the kids around that can handle what being a kid used to be like with tough love. Remember, Frank would treat his kids no different.

So while Frank may deserve some flack for a few things, don't go too far, that's just not far to a guy with the integrity, loyalty, and character of Frank Martin.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »
I feel better about a dude who has proven success at a mid-major than some guy who is an assitant at a BCS school.  Not sure why.  I'd be down for Jeter.  Maybe Brad can stick around and appease the majority of the players?  That's what I'm most concerned with right now.