Author Topic: Mainstream Economics Thread  (Read 17032 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Mainstream Economics Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
D.C., NYC, SF all seem incredibly stupid in their ability to manage housing supply.  It is incomprehensible really.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
D.C., NYC, SF all seem incredibly stupid in their ability to manage housing supply.  It is incomprehensible really.

it is intentional

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »

if you were a property owner in an extremely desirable place to live, where housing supply was constrained, for whatever reason (obviously, manhattan and sf are extremely constrained by geography, aside from whatever planning constraints exist) and as a result, your property was incredibly valuable, how happy would you be about increasing housing supply?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »

if you were a property owner in an extremely desirable place to live, where housing supply was constrained, for whatever reason (obviously, manhattan and sf are extremely constrained by geography, aside from whatever planning constraints exist) and as a result, your property was incredibly valuable, how happy would you be about increasing housing supply?

Yeah, the governments and policy definitely cater to property owners. The tenants just get mad at techies and Ellis Act evictions.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
lol kk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »
1000 houses just went up on 3500 square foot lots in another north dallas suburb before I could post this.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »
For some people that sounds like paradise, and for others it sounds like throw-up stuff in the mouth

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
Guys, MSEcon is about explaining and excusing away the failures of our present economic policies. Lots of  :dunno: its out of our control because of [insert vague allusion]. 

For example, the unemployment, underemployment rate is because of our aging population and technology outpacing education.  Its not economics at all, just lazy talking points contrived by democrats.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »
building restrictions are pretty disastrous policy for city/county/state govt. because of all of the infrastructure costs first and foremost, but there are other costs as well.  While govt. are never going to be as self-interested as the interests lobbying them, a lot of the policy and discussion surrounding housing does not reflect any understanding of the true costs imposed by the rent-seeking behavior of property owners.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
there's prolly a better thread to place this in, but i didn't see it as quickly as i saw this one.  fascinating video.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
there's prolly a better thread to place this in, but i didn't see it as quickly as i saw this one.  fascinating video.

wish they could just share the text.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »
i'm not sure i understand your comment.  are you saying you'd rather read a story than watch a vid?  normally, i would as well.  this is a good video, though.  well worth the 15 minutes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
i'm not sure i understand your comment.  are you saying you'd rather read a story than watch a vid?  normally, i would as well.  this is a good video, though.  well worth the 15 minutes.

yeah it got better. I thought it was going to be one of those annoying heavily edited "vlog" things that would save me a lot of time and be less annoying if they just shared the text.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
I watched it. I thought the info was exciting and inspiring and his tone was annoying and shortsighted. Just because he can't imagine new jobs doesn't mean they won't happen. Also, less wealth will be required to live a healthy life, thus making unemployment less worrisome. I haven't really thought this through much, but that's my initial reaction.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
I watched it. I thought the info was exciting and inspiring and his tone was annoying and shortsighted. Just because he can't imagine new jobs doesn't mean they won't happen. Also, less wealth will be required to live a healthy life, thus making unemployment less worrisome. I haven't really thought this through much, but that's my initial reaction.

work will still be done.  goods and services produced.  it's a matter of distribution of the production, if payment for work performed by humans no longer works to widely distribute those goods and services.  could be a paradise, could be hell.

that's my reaction.

btw, i saw this somewhere.  kinda fits.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/blog/2014/jul/23/carlos-slim-three-day-working-week-expert-debate-workable

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2014, 12:29:35 AM »
http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/515926/how-technology-is-destroying-jobs/

Perhaps the most damning piece of evidence, according to Brynjolfsson, is a chart that only an economist could love. In economics, productivity—the amount of economic value created for a given unit of input, such as an hour of labor—is a crucial indicator of growth and wealth creation. It is a measure of progress. On the chart Brynjolfsson likes to show, separate lines represent productivity and total employment in the United States. For years after World War II, the two lines closely tracked each other, with increases in jobs corresponding to increases in productivity. The pattern is clear: as businesses generated more value from their workers, the country as a whole became richer, which fueled more economic activity and created even more job

Will read the rest later, but past WWII America is both a small blip in world economic history and a unique situation that shouldn't be expected to repeat itself.

That doesn't mean that the article is invalid, but IMO "the most damning piece of evidence" is.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2014, 12:36:14 AM »
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428429/when-machines-do-your-job/

What is the optimistic view?

Erik Brynjolfsson came up with a great phrase: “digital Athens.” The Athenian citizens had lives of leisure; they got to participate in democracy and create art. That was largely because they had slaves to do the work. Okay, I don’t want human slaves, but in a very, very automated and digitally productive economy you don’t need to work as much, as hard, with as many people, to get the fruits of the economy. So the optimistic version is that we finally have more hours in our week freed up from toil and drudgery.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428429/when-machines-do-your-job/

What is the optimistic view?

Erik Brynjolfsson came up with a great phrase: “digital Athens.” The Athenian citizens had lives of leisure; they got to participate in democracy and create art. That was largely because they had slaves to do the work. Okay, I don’t want human slaves, but in a very, very automated and digitally productive economy you don’t need to work as much, as hard, with as many people, to get the fruits of the economy. So the optimistic version is that we finally have more hours in our week freed up from toil and drudgery.

good advice

To the parent, make sure your kid’s education is geared toward things that machines appear not to be very good at. Computers are still lousy at programming computers. Computers are still bad at figuring out what questions need to be answered. I would encourage every kid these days to buckle down and do a double major, one in the liberal arts and one in the college of sciences.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
Not sure you need to "buckle down" to get a degree in liberal arts, and positive it has no value.  Save the 30k in student loans and the corresponding indentured servitude.

Guys, mainstream economics is about apologizing away the failure that are the economic policies of the social welfare state. How, rather than help bring people up, it forces more people into relative poverty. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
Not sure you need to "buckle down" to get a degree in liberal arts, and positive it has no value.  Save the 30k in student loans and the corresponding indentured servitude.

you make the liberal arts degree a second degree.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

Why even bother with it?  Take the cost (and opportunity cost) of another year of school and do something more worthwhile with it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »

Why even bother with it?  Take the cost (and opportunity cost) of another year of school and do something more worthwhile with it.

I don't think it would take another year of school if you did knew you were doing it from the start and planned accordingly.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

I don't think it would take another year of school if you did knew you were doing it from the start and planned accordingly.

um.. how would it not?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »

um.. how would it not?

there could be lots of overlap between the majors. I think it would still be worth an extra year though