Author Topic: Mainstream Economics Thread  (Read 16729 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Mainstream Economics Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
I think of myriad things that are better uses of my time than taking extra gen ed courses to satisfy the requirements necessary to obtain a useless degree.

^^^^
Actual application of economic principles
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2014, 12:25:52 AM »
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428429/when-machines-do-your-job/

What is the optimistic view?

Erik Brynjolfsson came up with a great phrase: “digital Athens.” The Athenian citizens had lives of leisure; they got to participate in democracy and create art. That was largely because they had slaves to do the work. Okay, I don’t want human slaves, but in a very, very automated and digitally productive economy you don’t need to work as much, as hard, with as many people, to get the fruits of the economy. So the optimistic version is that we finally have more hours in our week freed up from toil and drudgery.

following up on this a bit, a poster on another forum postulated that the price of most (all) goods and services can be reduced to the sum of the price of the land and the time needed to produce them.  if followed to a theoretical extreme, given rampant automation, the prices of most human needs would fall to nothing or nearly nothing as time would be removed from the equation and only land scarcity would remain to drive prices above zero.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2014, 12:29:51 AM »
hmm, I suppose you could synthesize water. Theoretically.

And I know people are already experimenting with growing plants vertically for agriculture. I saw pictures from the Tulare Farm show of a company that devised a way to quickly grow grass for cattle consumption in some sort of vertical orientation. I wish I could find it.

So maybe the land thing won't even be a limit?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »

And I know people are already experimenting with growing plants vertically for agriculture. I saw pictures from the Tulare Farm show of a company that devised a way to quickly grow grass for cattle consumption in some sort of vertical orientation. I wish I could find it.

i don't even know how to respond to this.  most plants grow vertically.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »

It's something like this:

http://foddermachine.com/fodder-machine-hydroponics-fodder-machine/

Right now they just pull the pods out and feed them to cattle, but the idea could apply to human food.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »

Erik Brynjolfsson came up with a great phrase: “digital Athens.” The Athenian citizens had lives of leisure; they got to participate in democracy and create art. That was largely because they had slaves to do the work. Okay, I don’t want human slaves, but in a very, very automated and digitally productive economy you don’t need to work as much, as hard, with as many people, to get the fruits of the economy. So the optimistic version is that we finally have more hours in our week freed up from toil and drudgery.

following up on this a bit, a poster on another forum postulated that the price of most (all) goods and services can be reduced to the sum of the price of the land and the time needed to produce them.  if followed to a theoretical extreme, given rampant automation, the prices of most human needs would fall to nothing or nearly nothing as time would be removed from the equation and only land scarcity would remain to drive prices above zero.

Land and resource scarcity. You still need energy and water. Plus to have rampant automation, you would have to figure in equipment costs plus maintenance. That's all that is keeping prices above zero today, really, but land and resources are only becoming more scarce. Expect costs to go up, not down.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »

Land and resource scarcity. You still need energy and water. Plus to have rampant automation, you would have to figure in equipment costs plus maintenance. That's all that is keeping prices above zero today, really, but land and resources are only becoming more scarce. Expect costs to go up, not down.

Energy (with the new carbon taxes), labor, and water costs are the driving force for for anything farmed or manufactured now and more so in the future. Prices will necessarily skyrocket.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
I don't think you guys are thinking as far into the future as the poster sys was referring to.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
I don't think you guys are thinking as far into the future as the poster sys was referring to.

I think you are being the equivalent of the guys 20 years ago who thought the future would be all jetpacks and flying cars.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »

I think you are being the equivalent of the guys 20 years ago who thought the future would be all jetpacks and flying cars.

I'm thinking 500+ years into the future and I imagine that we won't be able to imagine what it will look like.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »

I'm thinking 500+ years into the future and I imagine that we won't be able to imagine what it will look like.

Oh. I was looking 100 years into the future, and it is going to be really damned expensive to eat meat in 2114. The rent is also going to be really high. Like, mind bogglingly high.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

Oh. I was looking 100 years into the future, and it is going to be really damned expensive to eat meat in 2114. The rent is also going to be really high. Like, mind bogglingly high.

nah, there's still plenty of room that far out as far as rents go, IMO. At least in the US.

I agree meat may be relatively expensive and think people in the states will have to adjust away from suburban lifestyles, but don't think things will be wildly different, economically. At least in 100 years.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
water would be a component of land.  energy can be reduced to land and time (for example coal = coal bearing land plus time to mine, plus the land and time to produce the mining equipment, plus the equipment, labor and energy to transport transport it, etc.).  any energy i can think of can be reduced to land + time as well, though the %s of the energy that are land and that are time may vary greatly.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2014, 05:45:58 PM »
water would be a component of land.  energy can be reduced to land and time (for example coal = coal bearing land plus time to mine, plus the land and time to produce the mining equipment, plus the equipment, labor and energy to transport transport it, etc.).  any energy i can think of can be reduced to land + time as well, though the %s of the energy that are land and that are time may vary greatly.

In places like California and Europe, taxes will be the driving force as to what producers will charge for energy, goods, and services.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »

what resources do expect to be scarce?  if you have free labor (robots), energy can be harvested for free, if you have free energy, water can be treated and distributed for free.  equipment is free, maintenance is free.

when you allow the cost of labor (labor = time) to go to zero, most things become free or almost free to produce.

costs of almost everything have come down from the industrial revolution on, while populations (demand) have exploded.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »

what resources do expect to be scarce?  if you have free labor (robots), energy can be harvested for free, if you have free energy, water can be treated and distributed for free.  equipment is free, maintenance is free.

when you allow the cost of labor (labor = time) to go to zero, most things become free or almost free to produce.

costs of almost everything have come down from the industrial revolution on, while populations (demand) have exploded.

good fields to got into for humans: science/research

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »

While plausible, it would also require the abolition of our current economic model to benefit all of humanity.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2014, 07:51:46 PM »

This might be the dumbest rough ridin' thing I've ever read in the pit. Good gawd I hope you're trolling.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »

Working with raw hydrogen and oxygen seems like a vertical endeavor as well.  These people are so rough ridin' stupid it's hard to fathom.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2014, 07:59:47 PM »
Welcome to fantasy land, population Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  This entire thread is an amalgamation of idiot, moron and dolt. It's perfect and incomprehensibly frustrating all at once. It is, THE PIT!!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
Welcome to fantasy land, population Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). 

THE WORD

:D

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Welcome to fantasy land, population Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). 

THE WORD

:D

IN THE YEAR 2514, natural resources will be free because robots will farm endless land (which of course includes water).

Also, nobody will need shoes because people will walk on their hands, and video games will be powered by lava.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
And those 200k have about 20 job offers
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »
this is one of the reasons dax has disappeared.  and record low turkey prices.