Author Topic: Bill Self beginning plan to keep Selby from leaving  (Read 15943 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Self beginning plan to keep Selby from leaving
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
they hate him so much.  the  :opcat: going on today in regards to Selby is off the charts.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
He can come on down the road. It'll take that transfer year to undo Massa's handiwork.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:42:38 PM by Sundance_Kid »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
I like how we support our players at KSU.  I don't think most people realize how special that is and how much credit we deseve for that.  I  am proud of our fanbase, we really make Manhattan special for ALL of our players.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »
we deserve to be APPLAUDED.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
LAWRENCE — As the Kansas Jayhawks enter postseason play, the time has come to adjust expectations for talented freshman guard Josh Selby. And that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing for KU.

Selby had his worst outing of the season on Saturday at Missouri, sitting the entire second half after scoring no points and turning the ball over three times in the first half. But KU coach Bill Self still sees a way that Selby, who is still learning how to play with a stress reaction in his right foot, can impact his team in a positive way.

In particular, Self recalled two crucial performances from his bench players on the way to winning the 2008 national championship.

"He can still be a guy for us this year that is the Sasha Kaun of the Elite Eight game, that is the Cole Aldrich of a Final Four game," Self said, "that is a guy that just comes out and goes and gets 15 or 18 when we're really struggling. He's still potentially that guy. He's just got to have a little more confidence going forward."

This week, with No. 2 KU playing as many as three games as the No. 1 seed in the Big 12 Tournament, would be a good time for Selby to begin resembling the player who was rated the top overall prospect in the country last year by Rivals.com. Because once the NCAA Tournament starts, Self won't be able to be as patient with a young player who is trying to find his way.

"It's a hard time of the year to let guys play through mistakes," Self said. "Your whole team works their butt off to get in this position, and now it's one or two possessions that are the difference between winning and losing. So there's not time to play through mistakes. It doesn't mean you're not going to make mistakes, but still yet, you've got to see some positive things that are happening."

With sophomore guard Elijah Johnson now manning a spot in the starting lineup and earning praise from Self for his defense, Selby faces an uphill battle for playing time. Junior guard Tyshawn Taylor has also played well in two games since returning from a two-game suspension for violating team rules.

When healthy, what Selby can do better than Johnson and Taylor is create offense for himself. Selby began to show glimpses of that ability early in conference play, before he hurt his ankle at Colorado on Jan. 25. Selby is still playing with the aftereffects of that injury, though.

"He's wearing a brace, an orthotic on his foot that wraps all the way around it," Self said. "It's totally uncomfortable. He can't cut, can't move like he wants to move. With that being said, other people have played with it. It's one of those things that, you've just got to adjust and play with it. I do think his health has messed with him."

Self said Selby just needs to see some shots go down.

"He's got to let it go and be aggressive," Self said. "He's more than capable of playing great down the stretch."

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/03/08/1752257/jayhawks-adjust-ways-to-use-selby.html#ixzz1G1mqdbs2

:horrorsurprise:
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
From #1 recruit in the country to Sasha Kaun  :lol:, congrats Massa!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
Really amazing.  Seff just compared Selby (#1 overall recruit) to Sasha Kaun.  

Seff is a monster.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
His ankle?
His foot?

:dubious:

Bill Self ruins another one-and-done.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »
Yesterday, when BITB was on a commercial break I tuned into Nick Wright for a sec. and he was BITBing about Massa wasting the #1 recruit in the nation..

He said Massa won't be able to get a top 3 recruit again because of the negative recruiting. Was amazing.

The phog was up to 4 pages yesterday afternoon  :bracketmouse:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
Yesterday, when BITB was on a commercial break I tuned into Nick Wright for a sec. and he was BITBing about Massa wasting the #1 recruit in the nation..

He said Massa won't be able to get a top 3 recruit again because of the negative recruiting. Was amazing.

Nick Wright is the new BITB.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2011, 08:23:30 AM »
"Why does anyone even bother to listen to Nick Wright" . . . Tardville

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
man they are insecure.  that thread is  :lol:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
Jesus rough ridin' Christ....just a few mere months ago Massa was telling everyone who would listen that Selby was the most talented recruit he had ever landed....and now this.

Wow.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:39 AM »

Nick is hitting his stride. 

Lotta KU-hurt callers challenging him on that too.  Those guys just get flat angry with no supporting info when they call in. 

They were demanding that Selby just hasn't been given enough time...

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »
"Why does anyone even bother to listen to Nick Wright" . . . Tardville

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=basketball&Number=1974831&page=0&fpart=all  :lol:

LOL, it's really funny when ku fans think the KC media is against them.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »

Nick is hitting his stride. 

Lotta KU-hurt callers challenging him on that too.  Those guys just get flat angry with no supporting info when they call in. 

They were demanding that Selby just hasn't been given enough time...

That was the best part. It was either not enough time, or he's a FP or the gurus were wrong and he's only a spot up shooter.

And then of course they said there was no merit to future top recruits remembering that Massa effed him up.

Denial shouldn't be that easy. That's how serial killers happen.  :bball:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."