Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538712 times)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1125 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
For those wanting to root, I thought of a few other things that I did with my Captivate.

*The Captivate doesn't have an led notifier, so I loaded a kernel that allows my capacitive touch keys to light up and blink when I have a new text, email, or missed phone call. Basically, any app that would normally light up an led, now activates the backlight to the touch keys.

*Another is that I removed the time from my status bar, and moved it to where the date would normally be if you pull down the notification bar.

*Lastly, I side loaded an alternative camera app, that allows me to take pictures with the power button, instead of touching the screen. I don't know if the app actually requires root, but ATT doesn't allow side loading, so I needed root to get around that.

Also, I'm running 2.3.4 right now, which isn't available as an OTA update yet.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 28, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
Omaha is getting Verizon 4G LTE in a few weeks.  May make the switch.   Is the iphone5 going to be 4G?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
i don't think iphone 5 is going to be 4G but who knows.   my guess is that apple doesn't launch a 4g device until next year, but that's just a guess.

tbh, i never used 4g when i had my evo.  i found out that i had no real need for it.  if i had a tablet, or was somewhere with my laptop, then i would want it.  but for a phone i think it's overkill.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 28, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
Is sprint expanding their 4g in areas that already have it?  I'm getting kind of tired of not being able to get 4g indoors.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 28, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
Is sprint expanding their 4g in areas that already have it?  I'm getting kind of tired of not being able to get 4g indoors.

they just signed some huge deal to get LTE.  I would guess it won't be long before the wimax 4g is out the door completely.  obviously many more on here would know more about it than I do though.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
Rarely use 4g.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
Rarely use 4g.
Me too, because I have to go in my neighbor's driveway or in the parking lot at my work to get it.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
Get the Nexus Prime, pretty much going to be the best phone ever.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 28, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
Is sprint expanding their 4g in areas that already have it?  I'm getting kind of tired of not being able to get 4g indoors.
i wouldn't look at it as expanding current 4g.  they are switching technology from WiMax to LTE.  LTE has higher down/up speeds.  also switching 4G spectrum from 2.5 Ghz today to either 800 Mhz, 1.9 Ghz, 2.5 Ghz depending on the need of the user.  the lower the spectrum, the greater the building penetration.  if your phone's radio is sucking at reception/signal, it will go lower in the spectrum band to find the best one for where you are.  

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 28, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
Is sprint expanding their 4g in areas that already have it?  I'm getting kind of tired of not being able to get 4g indoors.
i wouldn't look at it as expanding current 4g.  they are switching technology from WiMax to LTE.  LTE has higher down/up speeds.  also switching 4G spectrum from 2.5 Ghz today to either 800 Mhz, 1.9 Ghz, 2.5 Ghz depending on the need of the user.  the lower the spectrum, the greater the building penetration.  if your phone's radio is sucking at reception/signal, it will go lower in the spectrum band to find the best one for where you are.  
This sounds alright.  When is this supposed to happen?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
starts this year, completes in a couple.  they (sprint) haven't announced their deployment plan and i doubt they will.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 28, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
starts this year, completes in a couple.  they (sprint) haven't announced their deployment plan and i doubt they will.

I did just use 4g today, though.  First time in like a month.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
I would have used it a shitload today if I had the option.  rough ridin' hate 3g

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 28, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
I would have used it a shitload today if I had the option.  rough ridin' hate 3g
I would use it all day every day if I had the option.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 28, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
your 3G might suck then, i use 3g and it's almost 3mbps down.  on my phone, surfing bbs, that's plenty.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 28, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
your 3G might suck then, i use 3g and it's almost 3mbps down.  on my phone, surfing bbs, that's plenty.

ya, mine sucks for bbs'ing.  lots of delay. 

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 28, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »
Think the idea in partnering w/the satellite co is to make one hot ass wireless United States of America and let different labels sell service on it.  Wimax will have its place.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 28, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
I get 2 down with 3G and 7 down with 4G. If I'm at work or at home, which is like 90% of the time, I just turn on wifi.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 29, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
With 4G penetrated work walls because there's some crap I'd rather not be looking at on my phone via their Wifi.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 31, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/us-government-files-to-block-propsed-atandt-t-mobile-merger/

This is good.

Also Sprint is upping ETF, just like Verizon did before the iphone. Have you heard anything clams?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 31, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
No, nothing more than everyone else. 

I don't think the ETF has anything to do with iphone.  Cell phone companies are subsidizing more dollars of the phone's cost as high end smartphones become more mainstream (since they cost the cell companies more upfront when purchasing from OEMs).  They lose their ass on $200/$250 ETFs and it tears into their margins pretty good.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 02, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »
No, nothing more than everyone else. 

I don't think the ETF has anything to do with iphone.  Cell phone companies are subsidizing more dollars of the phone's cost as high end smartphones become more mainstream (since they cost the cell companies more upfront when purchasing from OEMs).  They lose their ass on $200/$250 ETFs and it tears into their margins pretty good.

THIS. Sprint's been getting schlacked by ETFs and giving large discounts for new customers to come get expensive phones at a cheap price.  Ultimately, I believe Sprint is pretty cash poor and needs to generate more no matter if the iPhone comes or not. Just trying to cover the bases IMO
[