Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 182094 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »
Question:  Could Stubbles be more of a douchebag?  :dunno:

nope.  that's as bad as they get.

are you going to update after every game?  i probably won't have a lot of comments, but i'll read them all.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »

nope.  that's as bad as they get.

are you going to update after every game?  i probably won't have a lot of comments, but i'll read them all.

I will if something noteworthy happens (like me making it rain or making an awesome DenClem runner).  I try to play MWF over lunch.  Today was especially LOL because of the near-fight and loafcoaching.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
I played some good ball today, FWIW.  Lots of putbacks (AKA Junkyardmichigancat ball).

On my team, I had a 45 year old guy that shaves his chest (AKA "Stubbles").

Our team was just owning the court, but one game, he started yelling at other players about not playing defense.  We still won, but after the game, he just kept f*cking whining about how everyone (but him) was playing horrible D.  Well, the next game, he got a little tired, and NEVER got back on transition D.  Is there anything more annoying than someone that thinks they should coach noontime YMCA pickup games, and then loafs as often as possible?  (I have no problem w/ loafing at all, just when combo'ed w/ coaching).

Well, there actually is something more annoying than a loafing coach.  My team had a nice size advantage, so whenever the ball went into the paint, the other team was hacking a lot.  No big deal, right?  I mean, it's the f*cking YMCA, right?  Well, it is a big deal if you're Stubbles.  He got hacked, took the ball and threw a chest pass at the back of the head of the hacker.  It wasn't hard, and he didn't come after the kid, so I thought it might have been an accident and everyone kept playing.  We of course won (u digg), and while the hacker was sitting one out, someone apparently told him he thought Stubbles threw the ball on purpose, so after the next game, hacker was like, "Did you throw that ball at the back of my head?", and Stubbles said, "Yeah, you grabbed my forearm(!) and didn't even go for the ball."  Hacker was like, "Seriously, are you an adult?!?!?" and Stubbles was all, "yeah, that's why I go for the ball when I foul people", or something similarly Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). 

Next time hit him in the head with a sock full of D batteries.  

Love stories like these, btw.  

I used to supervise at a sports dome.  There was this group of 40-60ish year olds that used to play at 7 on Saturday mornings.  Obviously, they were the only ones there 'cause only old guys would rent a 7am SATURDAY morning slot.  The second Saturday I was opening the guy started yelling at me cause I refused to get there at 6:30 so they could group stretch.   :facepalm: Grizzly Gramps actually filed a formal complaint about it.   :lol: One time they were short handed and begged me to play.  I hit 5 threes in a row, including the game winner.  Immediately following the game their ring leader, same guy that asked me to play, came at me like a bat out of hell saying that unless I wanted to start paying I needed to stop shooting.    :flush:
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »
I try to keep the peace as much as possible during pick-up games by never, ever throwing the ball into the post.  People get fouled, tempers flare, and before you know it loafcoacher is chucking the ball at foulee McGees head.  Pick-up game post players demanding the ball while I'm trying to cross some guy up for a fade away three are just the most annoying people in the world.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
OMG michcat some of your best work. Love this, you should update this regularly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
Not nearly as good as "flushed my mp3 player at work" story

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »
I played some good ball today, FWIW.  Lots of putbacks (AKA Junkyardmichigancat ball).

Congrats on the good game.

Yes, Stubbles could be more of a douchebag.  I occaisionally play with Stubbles' non-chest shaving twin brother at the gym at work, and one day after doing something along the lines of what you described, all of the rest of us b-ballers get an email later that afternoon from Stub's bro, who was trying to sell his wife's 8 year old BMW 325.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
cas has a game this sunday. will be interesting. will update.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Had a very nice one handed (non-dunk of course) alley oop at lunch today.  Got fouled to the floor also.  Part luck, part amazing, superior skill. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
I try to keep the peace as much as possible during pick-up games by never, ever throwing the ball into the post.  People get fouled, tempers flare, and before you know it loafcoacher is chucking the ball at foulee McGees head.  Pick-up game post players demanding the ball while I'm trying to cross some guy up for a fade away three are just the most annoying people in the world.

reminds me why i hated short, no-skills players (aka pickup game points) who told tall, highly skilled players to get in the post.  eff you, pickup game points.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »

Congrats on the good game.

Yes, Stubbles could be more of a douchebag.  I occaisionally play with Stubbles' non-chest shaving twin brother at the gym at work, and one day after doing something along the lines of what you described, all of the rest of us b-ballers get an email later that afternoon from Stub's bro, who was trying to sell his wife's 8 year old BMW 325.

I agree about stubbles being able to be a bigger douche.

Had a guy on my team a few years ago that was a big elbow thrower.  Twice in one season, he sought out a guy after the final whistle and threw a bow.  Basically attacked a guy after the game.  First time, he dropped a guy to his knees by hitting him high in the chest.  Second time was a PG, he knocked out two of the guy's teeth.  Needless to say, he wasn't allowed to play in our league the following year.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
Always thought pick up games were for people never talented enough to have legitimate organized careers - people who were never able to achieve what they wished to in a real game .

For those that did, the desire to play a game with those that play pick up games, simply isn't there.

Shooting on a cool day at a park is sufficient.  Perhaps even simply holding a ball in their hands.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
Have tried to play in pick up games since I moved out here. But it's a different world. Actually play at the rec across from Bowie High School (elite reference IMO  :bball:)

I can barely get a shot off if I go when the AAUers are there.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
Always thought pick up games were for people never talented enough to have legitimate organized careers - people who were never able to achieve what they wished to in a real game .

For those that did, the desire to play a game with those that play pick up games, simply isn't there.

Shooting on a cool day at a park is sufficient.  Perhaps even simply holding a ball in their hands.

Not the case. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »

reminds me why i hated short, no-skills players (aka pickup game points) who told tall, highly skilled players to get in the post.  shazbot! you, pickup game points.

wow, nothing worse than an obvious post player who thinks he can run point.  get in the paint and maybe you can snag a rebound on the off chance I miss one of my step back 3's this game.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
wow, nothing worse than an obvious post player who thinks he can run point.  get in the paint and maybe you can snag a rebound on the off chance I miss one of my step back 3's this game.

pfft, chucker.  best watch the back of your head on the off chance i bounce a basketball off it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »

reminds me why i hated short, no-skills players (aka pickup game points) who told tall, highly skilled players to get in the post.  shazbot! you, pickup game points.

Gonna have to side with Sys on this one.  PG's are never what they think they are in pickups.  

IMO, most seem like they are trying to prove why the should have had more PT in gym class.  What they end up proving is why they didn't.

Offline Doomagon

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »
I think of myself as a dom sutton type player (cant shoot but hang around the perimeter trying to drive when i should probably be down low banging for rebounds), is this cool? Playing down low is kind of meh when compared to schooling kids off the dribble and finishing at the rim.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
sys and 33 both sounds like guys that make me go pretty much full time defense when they're on my team.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
I think of myself as a dom sutton type player (cant shoot but hang around the perimeter trying to drive when i should probably be down low banging for rebounds), is this cool? Playing down low is kind of meh when compared to schooling kids off the dribble and finishing at the rim.

+1 on driving from the outside.

I hate banging for boards all freakin game just so some lame ass can pump up threes until we lose the game. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
sys and 33 both sounds like guys that make me go pretty much full time defense when they're on my team.

I am not very good at basketball, but play very decent D and will occaisonally will get a steal on a much better player.

How do we feel about on, ball screens if the idea is a pick/roll?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »

I am not very good at basketball, but play very decent D and will occaisonally will get a steal on a much better player.

How do we feel about on, ball screens if the idea is a pick/roll?

No such thing as an illegal screen in a pick up game. 

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
Not nearly as good as "flushed my mp3 player at work" story
Liked his thread about his neighbor can't remember what it was about now though. Delorean or something I don't remember.

stunz

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »
hate the all-out defense guys.  i have horrible defense, but i just go for sick blocks.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
So, today, I almost got into the first fight of my basketball playing "career".

There's an older (50-ish) guy, who I think was a high school coach, that is about 5-10, 160, and is really a fantastic player for his age.  The only problem is he is a loaf-coach.  He never plays defense, but yells over anyone else's missed defensive assignment.  He also has this remarkable knee injury that only effects him on the defensive end.

Anyway, I'm about 6-2, 210 or so, and got a o-reb, pretty much by myself under the basket.  I he hustles in to grab my arm, and then another guy comes in and starts hacking.  I'm generally of the belief that non-shooting fouls shouldn't be called unless they cause a turnover, so I just kind of wait for them to stop hacking - they don't, so I try to pull away, saying something like, "seriously, guys." and apparently catch Miracle Knee with an elbow in the process.  He's all, "Call the f*cking foul instead of calling elbows next time, or I'll take you out!".  I, of course, literally LOL @ this idea, and he says, "I'm f*cking serious!  I'll knock your ass to the ground."  Since I'm very non-confrontational in real life, am a grown up, and play w/ this guy 3 times a week, I just say, "whatever, let's play."

After the game, I apologize, and we shake hands.

Now I'm worried I wasn't macho enough.  :dunno: