Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 183952 times)

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
Played against Percell Gaskins once.  He stole the ball and ran down for a dunk.  I half ass ran after him, but wasn't within 10 feet of him as he dunked, and I didn't contest him at all.  As he was going back down the court, he pushed me in the face (didn't really punch me, just kind of put his hand on my face and pushed).  I'm sure the only reason he didn't flat out punch me was because he knew he had absolutely no reason to do it.  Anyway, I just kept playing like nothing happened.  That's pretty much the reason I didn't make fun of Michigancat over his altercation with Miracle Knee.

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
OT anything worse than rolling your ankle?
Yes, spraining (real sprain not that fake "Oh i 'sprained' my ankle I can walk it off crap) it. 

TWICE to me!

TWICE!

:angry:

Ah yes, the bruiser.  Great guy when he doesn't disappear for 5 years.  (Except for the taking out of other people's ankles thing.)
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
Played against Carson Coffman, John Houlik, Adrian Stryker, Josh Cherry, and some lineman I didn't recognize at the rec a month or two ago.  Guarded Cherry, he's fast as hell but couldn't shoot.  Houlik was all roided up and yelled at me when I ran through a pick hard.  Houlik and lineman were very upset when we beat them.

Also, Carson was the best player  :dunno:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2010, 02:09:42 PM »
Played against Carson Coffman, John Houlik, Adrian Stryker, Josh Cherry, and some lineman I didn't recognize at the rec a month or two ago.  Guarded Cherry, he's fast as hell but couldn't shoot.  Houlik was all roided up and yelled at me when I ran through a pick hard.  Houlik and lineman were very upset when we beat them.

Also, Carson was the best player  :dunno:

pretty sure micat faces better athletes at the Y

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
Played against Percell Gaskins once.  He stole the ball and ran down for a dunk.  I half ass ran after him, but wasn't within 10 feet of him as he dunked, and I didn't contest him at all.  As he was going back down the court, he pushed me in the face (didn't really punch me, just kind of put his hand on my face and pushed).  I'm sure the only reason he didn't flat out punch me was because he knew he had absolutely no reason to do it.  Anyway, I just kept playing like nothing happened.  That's pretty much the reason I didn't make fun of Michigancat over his altercation with Miracle Knee.
percell was such a douchebag, and terrible at basketball.  he could jump out of the gym though, i've never seen anyone be able to dunk like he could.  he would try to cover me and instead of playing defense he'd just stiff arm me.  d-bag, like most linebackers.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »
percell was such a douchebag, and terrible at basketball.  he could jump out of the gym though, i've never seen anyone be able to dunk like he could.  he would try to cover me and instead of playing defense he'd just stiff arm me.  d-bag, like most linebackers.

i used to have elaborate theories about fball player position-personality correlations based on pickup game observations.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »
12/14 from 3 in a random pick-up game last night.

Probably won't hit anything for weeks...
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »

JFC  :eek:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »

That deserves a larger font, or some bold. 

PS, are you a certain former walk on from Topeka?

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2010, 04:50:34 PM »

The only problem with this is people expect you to be able to do it next time  :embarrassed:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »

The only problem with this is people expect you to be able to do it next time  :embarrassed:

Pretty solid point actually.  Congrats, you are doomed to disapoint from here on out.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
I'm being slown by what I am pretty sure is a torn meniscus that I've had for about 15 years.  I was pretty much horrible today, and was thankfully guarding the other teams' least athletic and was on a good team, so I was undefeated.  I'm pretty good at playing defense only.  Had an embarrassing possession when I couldn't take advantage of a 6" height advantage on the block, but redeemed myself with a great "And 1" finish to end a game. 

Hoping my knee improves.  Might need to mix in some yoga again - the knee was better when I stretched.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
why not have it fixed bumlegcat, LMAO

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »
why not have it fixed LMAO

It's not that bad.  And I hate surgery, and I worry about not being able to play afterward.

Offline dobbie4ksu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
why not have it fixed LMAO

It's not that bad.  And I hate surgery, and I worry about not being able to play afterward.
I had my miniscus worked on and too be honest its one of the more easily repaired. They were able to do my repair and removed all the scar tissue from it arthroscopically and I was able to play ball about 4 months later
Maybe you folks aren't so bad...

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2010, 07:45:43 PM »
Had a miniscus issue back in early HS. Missed one week of bractice. Played in a game 9 days after surgery.

Easy stuff

Much recommended.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »
Michcat:  You should tell everyone at the Y about your knee.  Consider wearing a gigantic brace, too.  That way, you'll have more credibility when you apologize to the entire gym following your game.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »

i imagine winters is a score first, win second type of player

:rolleyes:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »
Michcat:  You should tell everyone at the Y about your knee.  Consider wearing a gigantic brace, too.  That way, you'll have more credibility when you apologize to the entire gym following your game.

I don't see the connection.  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
Well, today I had another semi-run-in with miracle knee.

We were on the same team today (along w/ stubbles, too), and well, here's what happened:

We were playing a team w/ a couple of ridiculously fast athletic guys that fast break at every opportunity.  I try to use the traditional transition defense rules pretty much everyone I've associated with since junior high uses:

1)  Protect the basket.
2)  If the basket is protected, stop the ball
3)  If the basket is protected and someone is on the ball, guard your man.

I really don't care if people misunderstand my rules, because I can generally stop most transition opportunities if I get to the basket soon enough,  Well, miracle knees, despite being a loser ex-high school coach who should no better, uses different rules for transition defense:

1)  Guard your man (and ONLY your man) tight, out to the 3 point line.
2)  Act surprised and yell at everyone else when the other team gets layup after layup.

Today, I took my usual spot underneath the basket on defense after miracle knee clanged another deep 3.  It was a 3 on 2 break, w/ me and MK.  Miracle Knee was of course glued to his man at the f*cking 3 point line and, my guy was trailing, got the ball, and nailed a 3.  Miracle Knee, in his passive-aggressive coach voice, yells, not to anyone in particular, but the team, "WHY CAN'T WE GUARD HIM?"  I look at him and say "Someone has to protect the basket, we know you won't."  He kind of looks at me confused and we just keep playing.  I mean, I really don't give a sh*t if he doesn't have a clue, just don't talk to me (or anyone on the team) when the other team makes a shot and you're playing like a dumbass.  :dunno:

Also, Miracle Knee is notorious for completely not trying to do anything if someone sets a ball screen on him.  He generally either yells at someone for not calling out the pick, or automatically yells "SWITCH!" if someone calls out a pick for him.  Really annoying.  So, after we got killed, I of course nailed the shot :gocho: to play next game and got a rematch with miracle knee.  I told the guy MK was guarding that he wouldn't do sh*t to stop a ball screen, and we clowned him all game.  :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
OT:  We are going to maybe have the basement finished this summer and I may put in a hoop and half court in the back yard with one big light  :users:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
Well, today I had another semi-run-in with miracle knee.

We were on the same team today (along w/ stubbles, too), and well, here's what happened:

We were playing a team w/ a couple of ridiculously fast athletic guys that fast break at every opportunity.  I try to use the traditional transition defense rules pretty much everyone I've associated with since junior high uses:

1)  Protect the basket.
2)  If the basket is protected, stop the ball
3)  If the basket is protected and someone is on the ball, guard your man.

I really don't care if people misunderstand my rules, because I can generally stop most transition opportunities if I get to the basket soon enough,  Well, miracle knees, despite being a loser ex-high school coach who should no better, uses different rules for transition defense:

1)  Guard your man (and ONLY your man) tight, out to the 3 point line.
2)  Act surprised and yell at everyone else when the other team gets layup after layup.

Today, I took my usual spot underneath the basket on defense after miracle knee clanged another deep 3.  It was a 3 on 2 break, w/ me and MK.  Miracle Knee was of course glued to his man at the f*cking 3 point line and, my guy was trailing, got the ball, and nailed a 3.  Miracle Knee, in his passive-aggressive coach voice, yells, not to anyone in particular, but the team, "WHY CAN'T WE GUARD HIM?"  I look at him and say "Someone has to protect the basket, we know you won't."  He kind of looks at me confused and we just keep playing.  I mean, I really don't give a sh*t if he doesn't have a clue, just don't talk to me (or anyone on the team) when the other team makes a shot and you're playing like a dumbass.  :dunno:

Also, Miracle Knee is notorious for completely not trying to do anything if someone sets a ball screen on him.  He generally either yells at someone for not calling out the pick, or automatically yells "SWITCH!" if someone calls out a pick for him.  Really annoying.  So, after we got killed, I of course nailed the shot :gocho: to play next game and got a rematch with miracle knee.  I told the guy MK was guarding that he wouldn't do sh*t to stop a ball screen, and we clowned him all game.  :lol:

Your rules are solid. 

Probably why he is an ex-coach.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »

Pretty solid point actually.  Congrats, you are doomed to disapoint from here on out.
Pretty much  :frown:

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

I am more of a Let me score so we can win type of guy

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »

I believe in win first, but if doesnt seem like thats going to happen, go ahead and get yours.