Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 1061180 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #6950 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
They're not that complicated. Remember freedom fries?

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: June 29, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Pubs want a connection and a feeling of closeness to government that's managing them on what or how to do something. The feeling would be similar to your immediate family telling you to do something (local), secondary family (state), acquaintances (feds), and some random dude on a street corner (international).

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: June 29, 2018, 09:45:19 AM »
there's a large subset of 'pubs (now v large) that dislike any organization above the level of a nation (un, eu, imf, etc).  it's part of being a nationalist, not a globalist.

for that matter, many also tend to prefer local government to state, state to federal, etc.  god knows why.

It's so stupid. Generally the more "local" a government is the stupider and more insane the representatives are. Check out the average school board (about as local as you can get).

Trump is obviously an exception to this.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: June 29, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
there's a large subset of 'pubs (now v large) that dislike any organization above the level of a nation (un, eu, imf, etc).  it's part of being a nationalist, not a globalist.

for that matter, many also tend to prefer local government to state, state to federal, etc.  god knows why.

It's so stupid. Generally the more "local" a government is the stupider and more insane the representatives are. Check out the average school board (about as local as you can get).

But theoretically, the more local, the more representative of the people they are representing.  Which is a good thing, no matter how insane the locals are.
:adios:

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: June 29, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

:lol:  Are you guys freaking serious?  It's like you don't think local school's, police and fire services, zoning and economical development matter at all.  And to call out 'the average school board' to be full of stupid people floors me but then again you think local representative's are insane.. Great take Lib.  :sdeek:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: June 29, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
I can't tie together caring for local government (which I agree is very important and needs more attention) to hating the EU.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: June 29, 2018, 10:03:17 AM »
Local government positions attract the same people that want to head up their hoa, they should be given as little power as possible
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: June 29, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »

:lol:  Are you guys freaking serious?  It's like you don't think local school's, police and fire services, zoning and economical development matter at all.  And to call out 'the average school board' to be full of stupid people floors me but then again you think local representative's are insane.. Great take Lib.  :sdeek:
If your apostrophe use is any indication, the local school board failed you as a child.
:adios:

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
I can't tie together caring for local government (which I agree is very important and needs more attention) to hating the EU.

I totally agree and think the EU plays an important role.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: June 29, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
Not only are they not that complicated, but they don't really care about being consistent either. So, there's no real point in trying to understand.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6960 on: June 29, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »

If your apostrophe use is any indication, the local school board failed you as a child.

touche.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: June 29, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »
But theoretically, the more local, the more representative of the people they are representing.  Which is a good thing, no matter how insane the locals are.

empirically, the more local, the less competent.  which is a bad thing, no matter what the theory.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: June 29, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »
Can I get a non-gE answer...why do republicans hate the EU (or maybe it's just trump, dunno)?

The best distillation of the Trump Doctrine I heard, though, came from a senior White House official with direct access to the president and his thinking.
“The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/a-senior-white-house-official-defines-the-trump-doctrine-were-america-bitch/562511/

That's it. There is nothing more than that.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: June 29, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
that doesn't explain why they hate the EU more than the individual countries in the EU

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: June 29, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: June 29, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »
oh, so they're just afraid of the EU

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: June 29, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
Who in the hell would be afraid of the EU, it's a mess.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
that doesn't explain why they hate the EU more than the individual countries in the EU

More people to puff their chests at.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »

why do pubs hate the EU dax? just trying to figure it out

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: June 29, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
Uh, the EU was set up to take advantage of the U.S.? That's patently false. It was set up primarily to entangle the economies of France and Germany so that there would (hopefully) never be a major war again on the continent...

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: June 29, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
Oh, you mean Donald Trump said something that wasn't true? That can't be.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: June 29, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »
Oh, you mean Donald Trump said something that wasn't true? That can't be.

Well, truth is in the eyes of the beholder.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: June 29, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
the united states did benefit from the implosion of european empires precipitated by the franco-german conflicts from 1870-1945, so history may have to give this one to trump.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: June 29, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
Uh, the EU was set up to take advantage of the U.S.? That's patently false. It was set up primarily to entangle the economies of France and Germany so that there would (hopefully) never be a major war again on the continent...
I think we are all past having to say "thats false" in regards to Trump quotes....be more useful to say "yeah that's actually true" when/if that ever happens.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: June 29, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »

why do pubs hate the EU dax? just trying to figure it out

:dunno:  Loss of national sovereignty? 

But again, the EU is a mess, but LibBots seem to love it.   Bailouts, debt restructuring, fringe member austerity, immigration problems, misguided green energy initiatives etc. etc. etc.